Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For those non nz based folks like myself...
How much is Nz s current account deficit per month?
Where does Nz Govco borrow money to fund the govco deficit?
How much is the current Nz govco deficit?
How much deficit $ are all Nz councils owing?
Shocking… The annual current account deficit was $29.8 billion (7.5 percent of gross domestic product (GDP)) in the year ended 30 June 2023, according to figures released by Stats NZ.

The government issues bonds which have risen in cost due the the quantity we’re issuing.

Government deficit is $9b? last year

Most councils are at their debt limit (Auckland selling airport assets) and above inflation rates rises.

I m guessing the current govco debt is $100 billion?

Where does Nz govco source the borrowed money?

How can the new Nats -Act gov afford tax cuts?

Shocking… The annual current account deficit was $29.8 billion (7.5 percent of gross domestic product (GDP)) in the year ended 30 June 2023, according to figures released by Stats NZ.

The government issues bonds which have risen in cost due the the quantity we’re issuing.

Government deficit is $9b? last year

Most councils are at their debt limit (Auckland selling airport assets) and above inflation rates rises.
Thanks Wiz of TRG.

because there are always two sides to politics.
I know. But I'm saying why does there have to be in all things?
Yeah, I know...just saying & wasting a few seconds I'll never get back in asking the question.
Going 🤪 in the off-season.
Do you think Luxon has played/ followed a contact sport ever in his life??

I know. But I'm saying why does there have to be in all things?
Yeah, I know...just saying & wasting a few seconds I'll never get back in asking the question.
Going 🤪 in the off-season.
Do you think Luxon has played/ followed a contact sport ever in his life??
I totally agree with you. There’s no need for politics to be like sport or war with an opposition, media provides enough scrutiny and information for the public to make decisions in today’s world. It might even see society more positive toward each other without the constant bickering and pettiness they provide us with. Can’t understand why a candidate couldn’t just want to represent their constituency and we vote for their vision and policies. Couldn’t see Luxon or Hipkins ever have played a contact sport, not sure I can see either as following one either.

I totally agree with you. There’s no need for politics to be like sport or war with an opposition, media provides enough scrutiny and information for the public to make decisions in today’s world. It might even see society more positive toward each other without the constant bickering and pettiness they provide us with. Can’t understand why a candidate couldn’t just want to represent their constituency and we vote for their vision and policies. Couldn’t see Luxon or Hipkins ever have played a contact sport, not sure I can see either as following one either.
More and more we are seeing young people getting into parliament.
While I am happy to see them involved and interested I have serious doubts on their life experiences to be capable of making considered decisions.

More and more we are seeing young people getting into parliament.
While I am happy to see them involved and interested I have serious doubts on their life experiences to be capable of making considered decisions.
Parliament should represent society in my eyes, that’s why when somebody like Georgina Beyer is groundbreaking when the people speak and vote the person in despite their history that parts of society would find unacceptable. Young people have a role, especially in that they will inherit decisions but that would be an advantage in the format I suggested in the post. We’d get to decide whether the person is worthy, which to be fair we already do.

Luxon commits to being a transparent PM. We've heard that before. Let's repeat the same mistakes that is a good start.

As a CEO of a high profile company he'd talk to the media when needed but no where near as much as the Prime Minister. Can see quite a few interviews coming up where he talks in circles. Probably had those already but I've had more important things to do.

Had on the radio Peters offended as Luxon hasn't called personally. Winston Peters making MMP awkward since 1996.

The question for Labour is where to from here.

With the exception of Ardern at the helm, the party hasn’t had an election result in the 30s since Helen Clark was leader in 2008. And when Ardern took over as leader in the weeks before the 2017 campaign, she didn’t adopt any new policies.

This suggests that, over the past 15 years, people have rejected Labours policies and only latched onto Ardern’s star power which eventually faded.

If Labour are looking for a once in a generation star, it will be a long wait… the key is actually around policy and credibility as a party.

Parliament should represent society in my eyes, that’s why when somebody like Georgina Beyer is groundbreaking when the people speak and vote the person in despite their history that parts of society would find unacceptable. Young people have a role, especially in that they will inherit decisions but that would be an advantage in the format I suggested in the post. We’d get to decide whether the person is worthy, which to be fair we already do.
While the Parliament should represent society, a number of people don't think it should. Nearly 40% of the population identify themselves as Christian yet a number of people think being a Christian should disqualify Luxon from the PM's job..... while completing ignoring the fact that the last two PMs childhoods were spent in the Mormon and Baptist churches.

And although I totally agree that we need the Māori seats, how fair is Parliament's representation when the last election started with a two seat advantage to the left. General Seats have an average of approximately 50,000 voters per seat, while the Māori Seats only have an average of approximately 35,000 voters per Māori seat. If the ratio for the General Seats was applied to the Māori Seats, there would only have been five Māori Seats this election, not seven.

The question for Labour is where to from here.

With the exception of Ardern at the helm, the party hasn’t had an election result in the 30s since Helen Clark was leader in 2008. And when Ardern took over as leader in the weeks before the 2017 campaign, she didn’t adopt any new policies.

This suggests that, over the past 15 years, people have rejected Labours policies and only latched onto Ardern’s star power which eventually faded.

If Labour are looking for a once in a generation star, it will be a long wait… the key is actually around policy and credibility as a party.
This analysis is far too simplistic.

Since the 2002 Election, National have twice received more party votes (39.1% in 2005 & 44.1% in 2017) than the 39.0% (not including specials where it will most likely drop further) it received on Saturday yet lost both Elections. Although Labour lost almost half of the support it had in 2020, that didn't all swing to National but a lot of Labour Party voters either didn't vote or gave their votes to potential coalition partners in the Greens and Māori Parties.

Putting it another way, the party vote for National this election is the second lowest since the 2005 Election with the lowest being 25.6% in 2020.

1697565981248.png

miket12 miket12 I think people just wanted change rather than they wanted National and in NZ there isn't much choice.

It's not surprising that ACT had it's best really and won two electorates and so did Greens with 3 and also retaining Central. Chloe is the Greens imo and they really should just let her be leader.

On another note, did people watch

Seymour says he wants to unite the country and then he says that James Shaw is making violent threats. Pretty ugly right wing rhetoric if you ask me.

Back