Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
I think losing Josh will hurt me wee heart even more than when SJ left, seriously.

I reckon I could make myself cry if I think about it too much :ROFLMAO:

So much fucking heart.

Outside looking in, he didn't even have a bad season outside of losing his starting spot, but he has still publically said that he was disappointed in his personal performance. To me that is good thing.

Signed with us before COVID, and even extended during COVID. Came to NZ without any complaints. Love it.

Gets under the other teams skin better than even the bald brothers can.

Is the chargedown GOAT.

Oh god, here come the waterworks.

'Salary cap pressures' is a bit of a worry, I hope that's just PR code or spin … was kind of hoping that with, what? Only 27 or so players on the books now, we wouldn't be under that much 'Salary cap pressure' and would have room to pick up a couple of new forwards … feels like it's going to be upgrades & promotions from within for 24. (Hope Tohu & AFB are getting a good break, poor buggers, basically carry that forward pack as it is)

Lussick is good bang for buck depth. With the amount of games he got despite having Walker, Sironen and Tevaga being able to fill in at 9 shows me that he's well regarded. With no obvious junior to back up Egan, he's staying for sure.

Losing Curran, Sironen and Williame leaves us short in second row depth, club has big faith in Sifakula and Laban/Halamsia which is good to see. Barnett can also move there if injuries hit.

Unpopular opinion I'm sure, and I love both, but if we're looking at players that are contracted to us for 2024, but are a little surplus to requirements (with a fully fit team and rookies coming through) you'd have to say Curran and Metcalf would be the two for us to barter with to get what we need.

I'm guessing both are earning between 3-500k, so freeing up that for a prop and one of our promising rookies to get some game time would balance our squad a little.
The club wont be moving Metcalf on :rolleyes:

He will be starting as soon as he is fit.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my starting halves to starting half things, especially before getting paid starting half money.

For example, pass the damn ball

And if you aren't going to do starting half things, at least don't be a defensive liability?

Just a thought ;)

(I dont hate Metcalf by the way, as much as it might sound like I do)

Curran was a great advocate for us, a young Aussie who came over here and openly loves NZ. With all the shit bagging we cop from some Aussie players we sign I think that message was really important to hear. Will miss the bloke

Call me old fashioned, but I like my starting halves to starting half things, especially before getting paid starting half money.

For example, pass the damn ball

And if you aren't going to do starting half things, at least don't be a defensive liability?

Just a thought ;)

(I dont hate Metcalf by the way, as much as it might sound like I do)
If Metcalf was a Kiwi you would be creaming your panties over him.

For a guy who doesn't pass he has done alright with 6 line break assists and 3 try assists and oh yea 6 tries as well.

Unfortunately TMM has been invisible since he came to the Warriors, go back and watch some games, you won't even realise he is playing unless you really watch for him.

Your probably one of these guys saying your glad Reece Walsh left cause he can't tackle and makes too many mistakes 😂

I can't actually get my head around this Curran move. If he does end up going, I think this will be one we will regret letting go. He is only going to improve even further from here. If it is an attitude issue, which I find hard to believe, then fair enough. Other than that I would have looked at other options. Has Marata delivered on the salary he is being paid? Bang for buck, Curran has similar stats average but for much less money. I'd move Jazz on, move Marata in to the middle and give Curran more game time in the second row. I think that offers more to the team.

It will be interesting to see what eventuates from here with signings. We need another decent prop so if we get that then I will be somewhat appeased. Has SJ signing for 2024 put us under more cap pressure than we were expecting? Maybe they are trying to get Harry Smith here for next season though I doubt we have the cash available for that even if he wants to sign for us. If its just to upgrade current players then bad move IMO.

I've no qualms with Webster's use of Curran this year or the clubs decision to let him engage with other teams before 'Nov.
As people have noted his stats weren't great this season but in his 6 starts in 2023 he averaged 42 tackles, 96m & 2.5 tackle breaks per game. Tolerating riding the pine most weeks this year whilst he had a serious court case hanging over him is understandable but if it's likely to be a longer term thing then I can understand why he'd want to explore other opportunities for 2024 & beyond

Last edited:
Just seen tigers apparently back flipped on telling Alex twal he is no longer needed wonder if we are offloading Curran to take one of there props
Maybe the tigers are losing someone else....

Not at all surprised to hear the curran news- same as Williame- we needed to rebalance the roster and weren't getting value for money from them.
I like him- but hey- that's business...

Time for Webby to mould this roster to how he wants it. I've been a big fan of Curran, but have a feeling we will look back in 9 months and say it was either a good decision, or one that worked for both parties.

Id be satisfied with a re jig along the lines of Curran + Wiliame to Going + New Prop

Back