Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
If Hughes pulled the homesick card for next year we would win the comp I'd say come on mate you have done ya bit for the storm
I can see the Aussie media bitching about it being nrl teams against the kiwis. Kinda related but I do believe the warriors need to be playing great for a few seasons and a premiership or 2 under their wing before they think about a second NZ team.

I can see the Aussie media bitching about it being nrl teams against the kiwis. Kinda related but I do believe the warriors need to be playing great for a few seasons and a premiership or 2 under their wing before they think about a second NZ team.
Would be a stretch trying to facilitate his big contract in our cap. Could only see that happening from 26 onwards.

That's a pretty shit list. Maybe a list of the biggest fanfare of signings.. Stacey coming back as a back up is no where near the top 10. Same as Foran, he was a short term risk by the club, he was here for a lifeline. Isaac Luke and Brent Tate were higher than both of those by far. Even AFB.

Best signing list is a different one altogether I guess and be more interesting, guys like Michael Luck, Jacob Lillyman, Brent Webb etc would make that list. Guys who gave amazing service to our club, without all the glitz and glamour. Even Wade Mckinnon, PJ Marsh etc.. That would be a great list.
All those.

Kevin Campion is the one that turned the club around from gutless clueless wonders to playing for a first low scoring courageous win over our bully boys the Broncos.

I've never understood this argument. Team A needs to win before Team B is considered, even though Team A's results have zero to do with Team B's ability to achieve results.

The only questions that needs to be asked is whether the region can handle a second team and if it is financially viable in the short and long term.

Very unusual clauses’: Tigers boss vows to keep Utoikamanu​

Wests Tigers officials say they are not threatened by Penrith’s interest in Stefano Utoikamanu, and remain confident they can secure him on a long-term deal.

As James Fisher-Harris hinted he was missing family in New Zealand earlier this week before announcing he would join the Warriors, Utoikamanu, the prop at the top of the premiers’ wish list, will not be given up without a fight.
Utoikamanu has clauses in his deal that allow him to leave the Tigers at the end of the year if they fail to make the top eight, or he fails to play at least two Origin games for NSW.
Tigers chief executive Shane Richardson was not at the club when the clauses were added , but said a lot had changed since that contract was finalised.

“We want to retain him for the rest of his career, and we’ll do everything we can to do so,” Richardson said.
“They’re very unusual clauses. But they were based around the club we once were, I understand that, and we’re not that club any more.
“I’m not worried that there’s interest from Penrith or whoever – the reality is we want him to stay, and I believe he’ll stay.

“We’ll work something out in the next 60 to 90 days. He’s in a good headspace, and he gets along really well with Benji.”
Utoikamanu told this masthead: “I want to stay at the Tigers; I’ve loved every minute I’ve been here, and they’ve given me my big opportunity to become the player I am now.”
Fisher-Harris was given permission to return to New Zealand on compassionate grounds, which has left the premiers on the lookout – and with money to spend - for a front-rower.
‘They’re very unusual clauses … We’re not that club any more’
Wests Tigers boss Shane Richardson
Fisher-Harris spoke to this masthead on Monday, a day after he reached out to the Warriors about joining them, and detailed how he had this year delayed returning to the NRL in order to spend time with family following the death of his grandfather.
“It was his time, everyone is at peace, but it was good to get back and see all the family,” Fisher-Harris said.

“He was fighting dementia for a bit. Then he had a bit of a fall. He pretty much went downhill after that, really quickly.
“I booked the flights home, but he passed [before I got home].
“We were as close as we could be. He was in the mines, he spent time in Australia for a long time. He was on the Goldie [Gold Coast], and whenever I play against the Goldie or Brisbane, he’d get there. He also came down here a few times. We made it work.
I missed two games [in rounds three and four]. I took my time and stayed there, instead of rushing back to try and play against the Roosters.

“I was pretty adamant I didn’t want to rush home, and I wanted to be with my family.”
Even when Fisher-Harris won the Golden Boot in December, he made a point about needing to take time out to catch up with loved ones, and his love of New Zealand.

Fisher-Harris was even keen to go against Benji Marshall’s Tigers on Saturday in Bathurst and said of his former teammate who is now the head coach: “Benji is the man. I have a heap of respect for him, especially being a Maori and New Zealander.
“He’s done everything, man. And there are not too many Maori coaches. That’s something we can all strive for.”

All those.

Kevin Campion is the one that turned the club around from gutless clueless wonders to playing for a first low scoring courageous win over our bully boys the Broncos.
Agreed - very surprised he hasn’t been mentioned anywhere until now! He toughened us up on the field, drove training standards off it and shed light on how bad the refereeing was against the Warriors after experiencing it.

Ranked: Where does James Fisher-Harris fit into the Warriors’ all-time biggest signings?​

OPINION

Without a shadow of a doubt, Warriors management have pulled off the signing of the year in capturing Kiwis captain James Fisher-Harris on a four-year deal.

While the Kiwi club have pulled off more than one shrewd piece of business over the past two years, this one trumps the lot.

But where will his arrival rank in the pantheon of the greatest Warriors’ signings?

It’s important to note, the Warriors have made many important signings since their inception in 1995.

However, many signings which have turned out to be important ones were not heralded as major when they happened.

Similarly, not all signings that were billed as top-tier have had the success expected of them.

With that in mind, here are the Warriors’ biggest signings, in terms of pure hype:

10. Tohu Harris

Another serial winner, Harris’ capture from the Melbourne Storm can’t be understated.

Harris was a key cog in Craig Bellamy’s Storm side and made more than 100 appearances, including winning the 2017 premiership.

And when the Warriors came calling, Harris answered.

Now 32, Harris has led the Warriors through some of the club’s darkest days, and fittingly stands at the front as they enter a new golden era.

9. Kieran Foran

A signing that won’t be remembered fondly, but Kieran Foran’s arrival promised to be one that transformed the Warriors into contenders.

After injuries and personal troubles impacted Foran’s time at Parramatta, the Warriors swooped in 2017 to bring him back to New Zealand.

It was hoped that a halves pairing of Foran and Shaun Johnson would bring the best out of both players.

However, as had happened at the Eels, injuries and being away from his Sydney-based family ultimately saw the Warriors fail to get the best out of Foran and he returned to Australia with the Bulldogs after one season.

8. Stacey Jones (2009)​

Admittedly, Stacey Jones’ return wasn’t one that pulled up any trees for the Warriors on the field.

But for the fans, the Little General coming home was a shot in the arm for a team that were eliminated in the preliminary finals a season earlier.

After he left the club to move to the Super League in 2006, Jones gave his last days as an athlete to the club where it all started.

However, the club’s results couldn’t match what they’d done the year before – even with Jones’ return – and the Warriors limped to 14th on the ladder, seven points off the Eels in eighth place.

7. Greg Alexander

As the Warriors sought a franchise player to be the face of the club for their debut in the NRL, the signing of Greg “Brandy” Alexander did plenty to put bums on seats for the first year at Mt Smart.

In 11 years with the Panthers, Alexander played close to 200 games, but the personal tragedy of his brother’s death saw him head to Auckland for a fresh start.

As the Warriors sought to cut through rugby’s dominance of the back pages in the mid 90s, Alexander’s arrival bought credibility to the club, after managing to secure the services of a genuine Australian star.

And as we’ve seen in the decades since, convincing Australia’s best to make the move across the ditch is no easy feat.

Alexander spent two seasons with the Warriors, including the second as captain, before returning to the Panthers in 1997.

6. Shaun Johnson (2021)​

The return of the king.

Warriors fans were heartbroken in 2018, when Johnson was told by club management he could test his value on the open market, after not wanting to commit more than $1 million per year of their salary cap to one player.

Johnson called the club’s bluff, and promptly picked up a new deal with the Sharks. But after three seasons in Sydney, Johnson’s return was sealed in 2021, and the Warriors’ record point-scorer came home.

Now playing the best football of his career under coach Andrew Webster, Johnson has only added to his legacy as one of the best to play for the club.

5. Ruben Wiki

Already a legend of New Zealand rugby league, Ruben Wiki signed for the Warriors in 2005, and finished his career in front of his home fans.

As one of the most significant Kiwis to ever play in the NRL, Wiki made more than 200 appearances for the Canberra Raiders, and won the premiership in 1994, before becoming the first New Zealander to play 300 first-grade matches.

Like Fisher-Harris, Wiki signed for the Warriors when he was Kiwis captain, and is the only player to have represented New Zealand more than 50 times.

The Warriors had made a play for Wiki 10 years earlier but finally got their man, who proved to be worth every penny.

Not to mention, his hit on Roosters forward Sia Soliola in 2008 will forever be remembered as one of the Warriors’ most iconic moments.

4. Sam Tomkins

History will show Tomkins’ arrival never quite hit the heights expected. But let’s not forget just how big his signing was at the time.

The fullback was the star of the UK Super League during his time with Wigan and headed down under in 2014.

Unfortunately, it didn’t quite work out for the star fullback, who just couldn’t acclimatise to his new challenge.

In two seasons, Tomkins made 37 appearances for the Warriors and scored 14 tries.

However, all parties cut their losses in 2016 and Tomkins headed back north, where he finished his career with stints at Wigan and the Catalans Dragons.

3. Steve Price

After more than 200 games for the Bulldogs, including a premiership win in 2004, Queensland great Steve Price stunned the NRL by moving to the Warriors.

Price’s capture was significant in the fact he left a Bulldogs side that were consistent finals contenders, to come to the Warriors – who weren’t.

What’s more, his arrival also paved the way for fellow Australians to follow suit, notably Queensland teammates Brent Tate and Jacob Lillyman.

2. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (2015)​

It was feared Tuivasa-Sheck was lost to New Zealand when he left Auckland for the Sydney Roosters fresh out of high school.

But after winning an NRL premiership and Dally M fullback of the year award in 2013 and 2015 respectively, Tuivasa-Sheck returned home in 2016.

In his first stint at the club, he more than justified the hype of his signing.

Making more than 100 appearances for the club, Tuivasa-Sheck also succeeded Simon Mannering as captain in 2017.

And to make things even sweeter, fans got another dose of Tuivasa-Sheck in 2023 when he returned from rugby union.

1. James Fisher-Harris

If Fisher-Harris’ arrival isn’t the biggest in the Warriors’ history, it’s somewhere near the top.

A serial winner with the Penrith Panthers and captain of New Zealand, Fisher-Harris will arrive at Mt Smart when the Warriors need him most after Addin Fonua-Blake moves to the Cronulla Sharks.

At just 28, Fisher-Harris’ peak years will be with the Warriors, having committed to four years in Auckland.

On and off the field, this is as big as it gets for Warriors fans.

Honourable mentions: Matthew Ridge, Issac Luke, Addin Fonua-Blake, Marata Niukore, Marc Ellis, Sir John Kirwan, Andy Platt, Dennis Betts, Dean Bell

Alex Powell is an Online Sports Editor for the NZ Herald. He has been a sports journalist since 2016, and previously worked for both Newshub and 1News.

Tohu much better than 10th for me

Ranked: Where does James Fisher-Harris fit into the Warriors’ all-time biggest signings?​

OPINION

Without a shadow of a doubt, Warriors management have pulled off the signing of the year in capturing Kiwis captain James Fisher-Harris on a four-year deal.

While the Kiwi club have pulled off more than one shrewd piece of business over the past two years, this one trumps the lot.

But where will his arrival rank in the pantheon of the greatest Warriors’ signings?

It’s important to note, the Warriors have made many important signings since their inception in 1995.

However, many signings which have turned out to be important ones were not heralded as major when they happened.

Similarly, not all signings that were billed as top-tier have had the success expected of them.

With that in mind, here are the Warriors’ biggest signings, in terms of pure hype:

10. Tohu Harris

Another serial winner, Harris’ capture from the Melbourne Storm can’t be understated.

Harris was a key cog in Craig Bellamy’s Storm side and made more than 100 appearances, including winning the 2017 premiership.

And when the Warriors came calling, Harris answered.

Now 32, Harris has led the Warriors through some of the club’s darkest days, and fittingly stands at the front as they enter a new golden era.

9. Kieran Foran

A signing that won’t be remembered fondly, but Kieran Foran’s arrival promised to be one that transformed the Warriors into contenders.

After injuries and personal troubles impacted Foran’s time at Parramatta, the Warriors swooped in 2017 to bring him back to New Zealand.

It was hoped that a halves pairing of Foran and Shaun Johnson would bring the best out of both players.

However, as had happened at the Eels, injuries and being away from his Sydney-based family ultimately saw the Warriors fail to get the best out of Foran and he returned to Australia with the Bulldogs after one season.

8. Stacey Jones (2009)​

Admittedly, Stacey Jones’ return wasn’t one that pulled up any trees for the Warriors on the field.

But for the fans, the Little General coming home was a shot in the arm for a team that were eliminated in the preliminary finals a season earlier.

After he left the club to move to the Super League in 2006, Jones gave his last days as an athlete to the club where it all started.

However, the club’s results couldn’t match what they’d done the year before – even with Jones’ return – and the Warriors limped to 14th on the ladder, seven points off the Eels in eighth place.

7. Greg Alexander

As the Warriors sought a franchise player to be the face of the club for their debut in the NRL, the signing of Greg “Brandy” Alexander did plenty to put bums on seats for the first year at Mt Smart.

In 11 years with the Panthers, Alexander played close to 200 games, but the personal tragedy of his brother’s death saw him head to Auckland for a fresh start.

As the Warriors sought to cut through rugby’s dominance of the back pages in the mid 90s, Alexander’s arrival bought credibility to the club, after managing to secure the services of a genuine Australian star.

And as we’ve seen in the decades since, convincing Australia’s best to make the move across the ditch is no easy feat.

Alexander spent two seasons with the Warriors, including the second as captain, before returning to the Panthers in 1997.

6. Shaun Johnson (2021)​

The return of the king.

Warriors fans were heartbroken in 2018, when Johnson was told by club management he could test his value on the open market, after not wanting to commit more than $1 million per year of their salary cap to one player.

Johnson called the club’s bluff, and promptly picked up a new deal with the Sharks. But after three seasons in Sydney, Johnson’s return was sealed in 2021, and the Warriors’ record point-scorer came home.

Now playing the best football of his career under coach Andrew Webster, Johnson has only added to his legacy as one of the best to play for the club.

5. Ruben Wiki

Already a legend of New Zealand rugby league, Ruben Wiki signed for the Warriors in 2005, and finished his career in front of his home fans.

As one of the most significant Kiwis to ever play in the NRL, Wiki made more than 200 appearances for the Canberra Raiders, and won the premiership in 1994, before becoming the first New Zealander to play 300 first-grade matches.

Like Fisher-Harris, Wiki signed for the Warriors when he was Kiwis captain, and is the only player to have represented New Zealand more than 50 times.

The Warriors had made a play for Wiki 10 years earlier but finally got their man, who proved to be worth every penny.

Not to mention, his hit on Roosters forward Sia Soliola in 2008 will forever be remembered as one of the Warriors’ most iconic moments.

4. Sam Tomkins

History will show Tomkins’ arrival never quite hit the heights expected. But let’s not forget just how big his signing was at the time.

The fullback was the star of the UK Super League during his time with Wigan and headed down under in 2014.

Unfortunately, it didn’t quite work out for the star fullback, who just couldn’t acclimatise to his new challenge.

In two seasons, Tomkins made 37 appearances for the Warriors and scored 14 tries.

However, all parties cut their losses in 2016 and Tomkins headed back north, where he finished his career with stints at Wigan and the Catalans Dragons.

3. Steve Price

After more than 200 games for the Bulldogs, including a premiership win in 2004, Queensland great Steve Price stunned the NRL by moving to the Warriors.

Price’s capture was significant in the fact he left a Bulldogs side that were consistent finals contenders, to come to the Warriors – who weren’t.

What’s more, his arrival also paved the way for fellow Australians to follow suit, notably Queensland teammates Brent Tate and Jacob Lillyman.

2. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (2015)​

It was feared Tuivasa-Sheck was lost to New Zealand when he left Auckland for the Sydney Roosters fresh out of high school.

But after winning an NRL premiership and Dally M fullback of the year award in 2013 and 2015 respectively, Tuivasa-Sheck returned home in 2016.

In his first stint at the club, he more than justified the hype of his signing.

Making more than 100 appearances for the club, Tuivasa-Sheck also succeeded Simon Mannering as captain in 2017.

And to make things even sweeter, fans got another dose of Tuivasa-Sheck in 2023 when he returned from rugby union.

1. James Fisher-Harris

If Fisher-Harris’ arrival isn’t the biggest in the Warriors’ history, it’s somewhere near the top.

A serial winner with the Penrith Panthers and captain of New Zealand, Fisher-Harris will arrive at Mt Smart when the Warriors need him most after Addin Fonua-Blake moves to the Cronulla Sharks.

At just 28, Fisher-Harris’ peak years will be with the Warriors, having committed to four years in Auckland.

On and off the field, this is as big as it gets for Warriors fans.

Honourable mentions: Matthew Ridge, Issac Luke, Addin Fonua-Blake, Marata Niukore, Marc Ellis, Sir John Kirwan, Andy Platt, Dennis Betts, Dean Bell

Alex Powell is an Online Sports Editor for the NZ Herald. He has been a sports journalist since 2016, and previously worked for both Newshub and 1News.

How dare they not add Webster to this poll. If we win a premiership. He'll be our best ever signing!

Jett was the rumour last year, and it turned out to be Luke Hanson. Im taking that one with a grain of salt

Last time someone took anything in this thread with a grain of salt it came to fruition 40 minutes later though lol

Will repeat what I said when that came up the first time though- It could be good to get away from the pressure he will end up facing as he comes through the grades, and who better for Ivan to send him off to than his old mates Webby and Stace, add Capewell and Fish to that too now. Really don't think there would be a better place for him outside of staying in Penrith

Last edited: