TeamList Warriors vs Manly - [Round 6, 2024]

@Worried2Death

Here is Wrigthy's Head to Head analysis for this week

1) Fullback - Tie - I think Turbo has just woken up in the last game but Charnze looked hot to trot also. I think both fullbacks will be on fire on this game.
2) Wings - Warriors as Saab is still out
3) Centres - I will say Warriors but only just as I think RTS is yet to find his home at centre and is still learning his craft there.
4) Halves - I will be controversial here and say Advantage Manly. Think that Johnson and DCE are a tie but I think Luke Brooks has been a level above TMM early doors this season and I also saw TMM miss a few defensive assignments against Rabbits as he wasn't adjusted to the speed of the NRL after being in reserve grade.
5) Starting props - Warriors although Paseka is travelling well. I think Aloiai is a patchy player capable of low and high points in a game.
6) Hooker - Warriors
7) I am going to give the second row to Manly - Olakau'atu is just a beast in every sense of the word and will be the most dominant second rower on the field despite Capewah and ford being very good.
8) Lock - I am going to call a tie. I do agree that Tohu shades Jake but Jake can have very good days and is a regular SOO player.

OK the one you requested Worried2death
The bench: I think Karl Lawton is completely inconsistent and tries to get his name in the newspaper on every play. Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't. He is lucky to be in the NRL in my opinion. Bullemor is a fantastic bench option and punches above his weight. Has a habit of scoring tries against a tiring defence. Sipley is huge and Brown will be tough.
Who will Laban sub in for? Will the good Jazz hands or bad Jazz hands show up (see what I did there?) Will Ale pick up from his best game of the last two seasons, last week, or will regress back to mediocre, and CHT we are only expecting to see for 10 minutes. So the Manly bench are more consistent and bigger - Due to them having Sipley in particular I call advantage Manly 1.5 points.

Summary
Warriors - 4 Advantage points
Manly - 3.5 Advantage points

This game could get hairy for the Warriors in the middle of the game when the benches come on. If Warriors win we are looking at 6 points or less. Will be a tight game.

I'd add we have home advantage and Roger's 200th celebration

Good test for us but probably similar to the Sharks game where it'll be an upset if we don't win

I wonder if B Turbo will defend on the wing so he's marking Monty with the touchline, can't imagine Monty running around or over him, B Turbo marking Roger is just asking for trouble lol

The ability to keep our heads in the grind if that's what's necessary is important. I like how with Egan's vision we are creating tries from within our own half.

I like that if we can get into their 20 we can score against anyone with the range of attacking options.

Also the aggressive defence needs to be maintained.

The ability to keep our heads in the grind if that's what's necessary is important. I like how with Egan's vision we are creating tries from within our own half.

I like that if we can get into their 20 we can score against anyone with the range of attacking options.

Also the aggressive defence needs to be maintained.
There is definitely going to be a massive increase in teams game planning to smash Egan

@Worried2Death

Here is Wrigthy's Head to Head analysis for this week

1) Fullback - Tie - I think Turbo has just woken up in the last game but Charnze looked hot to trot also. I think both fullbacks will be on fire on this game.
2) Wings - Warriors as Saab is still out
3) Centres - I will say Warriors but only just as I think RTS is yet to find his home at centre and is still learning his craft there.
4) Halves - I will be controversial here and say Advantage Manly. Think that Johnson and DCE are a tie but I think Luke Brooks has been a level above TMM early doors this season and I also saw TMM miss a few defensive assignments against Rabbits as he wasn't adjusted to the speed of the NRL after being in reserve grade.
5) Starting props - Warriors although Paseka is travelling well. I think Aloiai is a patchy player capable of low and high points in a game.
6) Hooker - Warriors
7) I am going to give the second row to Manly - Olakau'atu is just a beast in every sense of the word and will be the most dominant second rower on the field despite Capewah and ford being very good.
8) Lock - I am going to call a tie. I do agree that Tohu shades Jake but Jake can have very good days and is a regular SOO player.

OK the one you requested Worried2death
The bench: I think Karl Lawton is completely inconsistent and tries to get his name in the newspaper on every play. Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't. He is lucky to be in the NRL in my opinion. Bullemor is a fantastic bench option and punches above his weight. Has a habit of scoring tries against a tiring defence. Sipley is huge and Brown will be tough.
Who will Laban sub in for? Will the good Jazz hands or bad Jazz hands show up (see what I did there?) Will Ale pick up from his best game of the last two seasons, last week, or will regress back to mediocre, and CHT we are only expecting to see for 10 minutes. So the Manly bench are more consistent and bigger - Due to them having Sipley in particular I call advantage Manly 1.5 points.

Summary
Warriors - 4 Advantage points
Manly - 3.5 Advantage points

This game could get hairy for the Warriors in the middle of the game when the benches come on. If Warriors win we are looking at 6 points or less. Will be a tight game.
It will be interesting to see the renewal of the clash between Jazz and Nathan Brown.

I'd add we have home advantage and Roger's 200th celebration

Good test for us but probably similar to the Sharks game where it'll be an upset if we don't win

I wonder if B Turbo will defend on the wing so he's marking Monty with the touchline, can't imagine Monty running around or over him, B Turbo marking Roger is just asking for trouble lol
Although webby won't admit it, I'm sure he would privately acknowledge that the occasion got to us against the Sharks. Sell out crowd for round 1 with the high expectations on this team coming in and bottling a 12-0 lead like that. I'm sure we'll be trying to make sure that we handle the occasion well this time. The challenge for Manly is to maintain that A+ performance away from their emotional setting of last week. The Mt Smart cauldron is the exact opposite atmosphere for them. It's the same challenge that we faced last year during the finals. We ultimately couldn't replicate our A+ game at Mt Smart against Newcastle the following week in front of the rapid broncos faithful at Suncorp. Very hard to back up that effort intensity against good opponents.

So latest episode Matt Jones’ player of the week is Wade and Cooper’s team of the week is us 😂🥰

The other podcast with 3-4 blokes now saying we are in a premiership window. I am rather surprised how quickly they realize what we are building this year, usually we get 20 second mentions at the end of the shows. Benefit of putting the nail in the pre-ordered coffin of the Souths coach when everyone is watching I guess lol
The game of the year vs Melbourne dialed the whole league world in early this year.
You’d assume the Sea Eagles will be working hard on middle/ruck D this week. Just means there will be more space on the edges - DWZ for a hat trick!!

The tricky part about playing Egan and the middle defence is that he jogs up till his runner is level and passes late and flat before taking the hit.

Teams have not been able to shut that down. Our ruck always runs sweet with Egan and our big boys get a soft pass while crossing the advantage line.

When we run that pivot role with multiple runners all close to Egan it forces one on one tackling over gang tackles of the runner.

With Egan adding that little sneaky fake of his, I dunno how you stop it apart from line speed....and the problem with that is...later in the game the Warriors have already been strangling the juice out of you and the line cannot keep coming up fast.

The Panthers can though, and they all look juiced on roids the way they play. Well that is to my jealous eye.

I really rate Nathan Brown, surprised Eels cut him and he struggled to pick up a new first grade contract. Must be weaknesses in defence or off the ball I don't notice.
Poor discipline may have been a problem in the past but he seems to have improved that at Manly. He is still a force to be reckoned, hence the comment about him and Jazz

There is definitely going to be a massive increase in teams game planning to smash Egan
We'll have to dominate the ruck speed and bend their line with post contact metres to limit such targeting. Often it also takes focus away from others in our team which is a strength of our attack at the moment.

You’d assume the Sea Eagles will be working hard on middle/ruck D this week. Just means there will be more space on the edges - DWZ for a hat trick!!
I'm picking Tohu for a try. DWZ for a double. Barney for one. Addin one as well.

Also my try scorer picks have been well out this season. Historically as well but this is the new forum 😁

Reactions: CWC
Back