Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html

tajhay

💙❤️💚
This thread is for the general discussion of the Item Shaun Johnson. Please add to the discussion here.

'Felt in the groove': SJ unscathed and all smiles​

AuthorCorey RosserNRL ReporterTimestampSun 17 Sep 2023, 08:57 AM

As the clock hit 70 minutes on Saturday night and the Warriors sat on a 24-point lead, Dylan Walker began to implore team management on the bench to get Shaun Johnson out of the game and into cotton wool.
Having already played a key role in seeing his side through to their first Preliminary Final in 12 years – with a pair of try assists and a kicking game that went a long way to taking Newcastle's much-vaunted backline out of the contest – Johnson's confidence in his dodgy calf seemed to improve throughout the night on the back of a boisterous crowd of 26,083 at Go Media Stadium.

Eventually even coach Andrew Webster had seen enough, with his star No.7 rested for the final six minutes ahead of Saturday's trip to face the Broncos in Brisbane.
“With 10 to go when he was double right-foot stepping and carrying on like he was 18, that was frustrating me, I was like 'just calm down, kick to the corner and get off the field' and he's carrying on like a lunatic," Webster said.
He came super close to not playing... he made sure he got himself to the start line, he's done a terrific job [and] not only did he get himself there, I thought he once again had a big impact.
Andrew Webster
"He gave everyone confidence. Everyone fell into shape and I thought our attack early was a big result of what he was doing."
While he is likely to face a restricted training schedule again this coming week as he manages the injury, Johnson said post-match that he got through the game unscathed and felt little impact from three weeks of minimal team training.
“Happy I got through it physically and I was really glad I didn’t feel underdone or anything, which I was a little bit nervous about after missing two games and having three down weeks,” Johnson said.
“I felt good out there, felt comfortable and felt in the groove.
“I was really happy with how I was able to tick boxes through the week and then come out and play through that.
“That all comes as you get a bit wiser with age, you take lessons along the way and you learn how to deal with playing with injury.”