Internationals Anzac Test Match 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score

Selector

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
yes it absolutely sucks that the Kiwis have had so many injuries for this test match, but I think they are still in with a great chance of winning the test match. Besides with all these injuries it is allowing other players to step up and fill the void. It will help to create depth and competition for places which will benefit the Kiwis come Four Nations and World Cup when players will no doubt be lost toinjury.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Marshthedarsh

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I don't think we're meant to win this game. So many injuries for us against basically a 100% fit Aussie side. If we were full strength we'd be favourites (but not with the bookies), however I don't see anything else but an Aussie victory, hopefully not a belting. Only one Warrior in the team means we won't just give up.

I could be wrong and we're just so much better than Aus than anyone realizes and we coast even with a second string side, but if we at least put in a performance like 2014 'll be satisfied.

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I don't think we're meant to win this game. So many injuries for us against basically a 100% fit Aussie side. If we were full strength we'd be favourites (but not with the bookies), however I don't see anything else but an Aussie victory, hopefully not a belting. Only one Warrior in the team means we won't just give up.

I could be wrong and we're just so much better than Aus than anyone realizes and we coast even with a second string side, but if we at least put in a performance like 2014 'll be satisfied.
Hopefully the forwards lay a winning platform

Reaction score
Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
My last thought one night out from the test.

I believe it's about take aways and stories that'll come out of this one. Headlines could be "kiwis win with undermanned squad". That would be a feat in itself and another mental blow for Aussie. It would be a mental gain for the kiwis knowing our depth can step up when needed.

Then there's the headline "kangaroos regain power on top". It doesn't matter if they win by a mile or an inch the Aussie media and public need Aussie to win so it can throw international league back in the cupboard and origin can be there pinnacle as always.

What are the takeaways from last years tour that flow on to this test?

Players that would be debuting have already played 4 games for the kiwis. Nikorima and kahu have experience enough to know the system and play effectively. Their debutants will find out on the spot about international footy.
We found a new leader in jesse Bromwich. Kearney said he knew on last years tour that jesse was captain material. Jesse is proud to lead his country and has been a huge reason for the kiwis success especially in the engine room.

Kearney has been at the helm for 8 years. He has learnt a lot over the years through trial and error but he's established the culture he thinks is best for the kiwis and it's worked. Last years tour I thought he took a back step but he has stood his ground and I will credit him for his consistency to players who we think shouldn't be there but they buy into his system which is what we want.

Tests are won in the play the ball. Who can win the tackle which means our forwards need to dominate and Shaun must be given the platform to succeed.

The second is who is most familiar with the system. Kearney had caught on that familiarity is half the reason Anzac tests are won. I'll be interested to see how their debutants go. If they're shaky we can win. If they fire we will be in for a long night.

If there's one player I could wish back for this game it's dean Whare. Love this guy as a player but oh well.

Hope we win. I don't seem to have the anxiety of a blowout anymore which means progress. This team has built a culture where that is unnacceptable.

Let's go kiwis.

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Mate that would be a dream come true for me and straight up embarrassing for Australia.
I'd run with the headline "NZ B humiliate world 13 selection"
Our forwards are good enough to roll them, but the threats exist in Meninga, the aus kicking game vs SJ.

I hope our other kickers are prepped cos SJ is in for a lot of attention. I expect them to run at him all night to try and take him out of the attack. Then hit him late after he kicks.

Come on forwards, destroy their pack.

My game wishlist is;

Bromwich leads the way with metres and offloads.

Taumalolo gets 8 linebreaks.

Taupau does the throat slit and goes hulk.

Moa sends Thaiday for a concussion test.

Blair terrorizes the Aus kickers.

Proctor scores running between GI and Semi or the Breezer brothers.

SJ burns past GI at least twice, once to score and another to feed Nightingale after drawing Boyd.

Harris to score once and setup two tries.

L Brown to kick a 40/20 when it matters.

Kahu to score an opportunistic try.

DWZ to score a debut double, one of which includes some aerial acrobatics and the other off a set play built off a sequence of dominant hitups from Bromwich, Taumalolo, Taupau, Bromwich, out to SJ who throws a perfect pass 20 metres for DWZ.

Roos to all have the runs or butter fingers.

That should just about do it:cigar::cigar::cigar:

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
If we do pull it off it will go down as a win that should be remembered and would show how far we have come in terms of depth.

It is an interesting match up especially in the forwards. We have them for size and power where they are mobile. We have had that same match up over the years and they have held their own against us and managed to move us around like chess pieces.

Our backline stocks have really been tested; hopefully the young legs can run off some great go forward from our forward pack.

Reaction score

jono_t2000

U20's Player
Reaction score
Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Why can't we have a 3 match test series. Well I knows hi but It would to have a series between the two sides to be honest.
The 3 match series vs England last year was a breath of fresh air. If we could get a 3 match series vs Australia especially seeing as we have gone from competitive to getting regular wins would really help sell it.

I'd even be keen to see the traditional Australia vs England / Great Britain series.

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Its pretty magic how all these injuries just appear all at once when rep week arrives. Like JD said all clubs can stop players from representative duties but they noramlly just spin it off as a minor injury.

I bet SKD is back to 100% after this week
Like SBW in 2013. The week of the ANZAC test it sounded like Nick Politis was his Dr.;)

Dr Cash Flow.:cool:

Reaction score

jono_t2000

U20's Player
Reaction score
On the plus side Fusitua and Kata will both be playing for Tonga this weekend :) hope they really go well! (Fusitua will be playing fullback for Tonga btw)

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see Fusitua at fullback again. He is a big body and hard to tackle coming from the back with his step close to the line.

Hopefully he gets a good stretch without injury.

It's going to be good to see the test matches over the weekend. I used to be interested in City vs Country but the last few years it's a real come down after watching Australia vs New Zealand which is a high intensity game and then the Pacific tests which are a breath of fresh air.

Reaction score
Jah

Jah

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
We got nothing to loose not our best backline not our topside be ware of the wounded bull GO THE KIWIS

Reaction score
Pete

Pete

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
On the plus side Fusitua and Kata will both be playing for Tonga this weekend :) hope they really go well! (Fusitua will be playing fullback for Tonga btw)

You would think the club would be tempted not to release Fusitua as if he gets injured we are starting to get a little light on firepower. Good on him though. Deserves it

Reaction score
95 'til infinity

95 'til infinity

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Why can't we have a 3 match test series. Well I know why, but how awsesome would it be to have a series between the two sides to be honest.
If the NRL (or more specifically Ch.9) woke up to themselves they'd realise that with such a massive expat community living in Oz if they got everything right (ie:marketing,scheduling etc) a three test series EVERY year with the Kiwis could surpass their long dead "state against state,mate against mate" SOO concept.

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
You would think the club would be tempted not to release Fusitua as if he gets injured we are starting to get a little light on firepower. Good on him though. Deserves it
Wells might be next up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom