MEDIA RELEASE Vodafone Warriors sign ex-Wigan centre Gelling
Fri 12 Jan 2018, 11:02 AM
Anthony Gelling, who recently returned to Auckland after six seasons in England, has been signed by the Vodafone Warriors on a one-year contract.
After being given an early release by the Wigan Warriors, the Cook Islands international was invited to train with the Vodafone Warriors this week.
“It’s a stroke of luck for us that Anthony has come back,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.
“He proved himself in the Super League and has immediately impressed us at training this week.
“We’re thrilled we’ve been able to add him to our squad. He brings size and some special skills, providing further depth and increasing competition among our outside backs.”
In his six seasons with Wigan, Gelling (27) scored 52 tries in 114 appearances and also represented the Cook Islands at the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.
“Rugby league wasn’t the reason I came home,” he said.
“I’d had six seasons in England and I really wanted to be back in New Zealand around my family. I’m grateful for everything Wigan did for me and for allowing me to head home early.
“I wasn’t sure what would happen with my career but the opportunity came up to train with the Vodafone Warriors this week and now I’m excited about signing for the club.”
Gelling was a Super League grand final winner with Wigan at Old Trafford in 2016 and was also in its beaten side in the 2014 decider.
He helped Wigan to its World Club Challenge win against Cronulla in 2017 as well as playing in the Challenge Cup final at Wembley (a match Hull FC won).
He last played in New Zealand in 2011 when he was in the Vodafone Warriors’ feeder side the Auckland Vulcans, who lost 28-30 to the Canterbury-Bankstown Bankstown in the dying moments of the New South Wales Cup at ANZ Stadium. The same season he tasted success at Auckland club level when the Howick Hornets won the Fox Memorial premiership for the first time.
Oh oh......I didn't know about that,still Nate Myles had form for that and he turned out to have one hell of a career.......hopefully history will repeat however knowing us Gelling will probably end up more Kevin Locke than Nate Myles.
Hes Probably grown up a bit since then.I hope he's
Realised about positive perception.He seems aware of
Social media an consequences
The warriors are going to be a hard back line to get a start in
I'm sure Anthony can push his way in there .
There will Definitely be a lot of pressure to perform .
Its going to be interesting to see who gets picked an where they
Definetly a team starting to form
Roosters sacked for defecating over hotel
13:09, Sep 10 2010
The Sydney Roosters have sacked youngsters Sam Brunton and Anthony Gelling after the pair were accused of defecating on tables and floors of rooms at their Townsville hotel last weekend.
The sackings come a year after Roosters star Nate Myles was suspended for six matches and fined $50,000 for defecating in a hotel.
It's the latest scandal to hit the NRL which has reeled from sex and booze problems.
The Roosters issued a statement saying alcohol wasn't involved in this latest incident but that didn't stop them from sacking the two Toyota Cup players.
"The incident, which started out as a prank, did not involve alcohol. However, the behaviour was unacceptable and the club saw it fit to take the strongest action possible," the club's statement said.
The hotel had apparently contacted the glamour Sydney club with photographic evidence.
"It was inappropriate behaviour and they have suffered the consequences," Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce said.
The Roosters played the Cowboys in North Queensland last Saturday night in the final round of regular season action.
Sydney's Daily Telegraph reported that a hotel cleaner claimed the rooms were "disgusting, absolutely disgusting".
The newspaper said Brunton and Gelling defecated on the floor next to the toilet and on white tables in hotel rooms. This occurred in several rooms.
"A little bit feral they were," Sue, a cleaner who wished to remain anonymous, told the Daily Telegraph.
"I don't really know a huge amount about it. All I know is the cleaner entered the room, they had defecated on the floor next to the toilet in one of the rooms and defecated on the white tables that are in the rooms. And they did it in a couple of rooms."
"She said it was disgusting, absolutely disgusting. She doesn't get paid enough to do that.
"These are players that children respect and they are held in high regard by the community."
NRL chief executive David Gallop confirmed his organisation was investigating the incident.