General Americas cup

Ohgeelowk

Ohgeelowk

Good post mate. Isn't Burling the most layed back guy
He’s a hard guy not to like. I’m in Aussie at the moment and the Aussie bros were all going for jimbo and Luna rossa. They all said the same thing at the end of the race, you can’t hate that Peter burling won. He’s genuine and humble. I get the feeling after getting bought a couple of pints at the local he’s trying to square the ledger and buy them all a pint back.

Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

The idea for the future competition to happen in the UK is from GD Must be a back hander involved 😀
Huge pots of money involved if it is hosted in the UK I would imagine, TV deals would be bigger etc.....
Also, there were big crowds following the sailing at the 2012 Olympics iirc as it was something we don’t see that often

Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Contributor
Reactions: Inruin and kabkram
john nick

john nick

Sorry mate, here's the link

Sorry mate, here's the link

At least its only if raced in NZ.So if they go offshore as reported they get FA

Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Contributor
I think they'll go. Whatever funding they could get here is chicken feed compared to what would be available in the UK/Europe.

Plus, challengers from Europe and the US wouldn't have the costs of travelling to the end of the earth.

john nick

john nick

I think they'll go. Whatever funding they could get here is chicken feed compared to what would be available in the UK/Europe.

Plus, challengers from Europe and the US wouldn't have the costs of travelling to the end of the earth.
Still a lot of cash to compete & even our next door neighbours couldnt afford to come this year.Guess it will ultimately come down to money as per usual & how much GD is going to get ;)

Reactions: Rick O'Shay
Miket12

Miket12

Firstly, huge congratulations to Team NZ!!!! Kiwi's can fly.... or, at least, foil!

Secondly, like Burling and his little $200 Optimist called JellyTip he learnt to sail in Tauranga Harbour in, I too started there in a tiny P-Class. He is just slightly better than me..... okay, a long way better.

Thirdly, I suspect that people will soon decide it's okay for the govt. to give TNZ money even if they going overseas to race at the Isle of Wight since right-wing blogger David Farrar says he doesn't want any tax payer money given to them if they aren't in NZ. He's reluctant they should receive govt. funding even if they were to stay here.

john nick

john nick

Firstly, huge congratulations to Team NZ!!!! Kiwi's can fly.... or, at least, foil!

Secondly, like Burling and his little $200 Optimist called JellyTip he learnt to sail in Tauranga Harbour in, I too started there in a tiny P-Class. He is just slightly better than me..... okay, a long way better.

Thirdly, I suspect that people will soon decide it's okay for the govt. to give TNZ money even if they going overseas to race at the Isle of Wight since right-wing blogger David Farrar says he doesn't want any tax payer money given to them if they aren't in NZ. He's reluctant they should receive govt. funding even if they were to stay here.
Personally I will not be happy about supporting them especially if they are going to take it offshore. PS my first sailing experience was on Tauranga Harbour in a Cherub class yacht that Dad and I sailed. Long time ago but don't think we were any good but lots of fun

Miket12

Miket12

Personally I will not be happy about supporting them especially if they are going to take it offshore. PS my first sailing experience was on Tauranga Harbour in a Cherub class yacht that Dad and I sailed. Long time ago but don't think we were any good but lots of fun
My dad and I would sail of either from Kulim Park or Fergusson Park. The first boat he had was a Javlin which was an absolutely stupid boat to try and learn in so he brought a P-class and sent me off for some lessons while he stood on the shore learning how to sail.

He then sold the Javlin and brought a Laser, which was also a silly boat for him because he only weighed 75kg soaking wet and couldn’t keep it upright let alone right it once he’d inevitably capsized it. One time, the coast guard had to rescue him after he floated into the shipping lanes when capsized.

john nick

john nick

My dad and I would sail of either from Kulim Park or Fergusson Park. The first boat he had was a Javlin which was an absolutely stupid boat to try and learn in so he brought a P-class and sent me off for some lessons while he stood on the shore learning how to sail.

He then sold the Javlin and brought a Laser, which was also a silly boat for him because he only weighed 75kg soaking wet and couldn’t keep it upright let alone right it once he’d inevitably capsized it. One time, the coast guard had to rescue him after he floated into the shipping lanes when capsized.
Yeah mate my old man was trying to get me into sailing as a sport but I was more interested in sheilas and drinking .Then Rugby League. In hindsight??

Reactions: Rick O'Shay
john nick

john nick

Go to Ferguson Park regularly with my missus for a bit of a walk

Reactions: Miket12