General American Promoter Ready To Push League State Side.

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
This is just what the game has needed in the states and it could really kick start the game there.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/promoter-also-wants-a-rugby-league-world-series-challenge/story-fnca0von-1226361614665

BILL Tatham is serious, dead serious. He wants to take a State of Origin game to the US and is willing to pay whatever it takes. We're talking millions if necessary.
He also wants to revitalise the World Club Challenge by naming it the World Series Challenge, hosting it at Home Depot Stadium in Los Angeles _ the base for David Beckham's LA Galaxy _ with teams playing for $1 million.
Tatham has regenerated rugby union in America through his deal to host the world sevens. Now he's struck a partnership with the American Rugby League, which is led by former St George halfback David Niu.
He wants Origin and the WCC to help the sport secure the holy grail _ America.
"We have an opportunity, thanks to our partnership with USA Rugby League," Tatham told The Australian. "We have an opportunity to honour that and bring in the greatest competition we can. That's the goal.
"We're doing it in 2013. If we have the money, and we do, and we have the people . . . there is no excuse for not going for it. None."
Tatham, the founder of Grand Prix Sports, self-deprecatingly calls himself an ignorant American; but he clearly knows what he is talking about.
He is a former owner of NBA team the Utah Jazz and the Oklahoma Outlaws in the defunct USFL. His company has assembled a board of eminent American businesspeople with an intimate knowledge of the sporting landscape.
They've been involved in the Olympics and the NFL. They have dabbled in baseball and basketball. Now it's rugby league's turn, thanks to a serendipitous encounter while on a trip to Europe.
"I am staying at the Marriott," Tatham said. "I am watching the television. I am watching rugby league. I'm thinking that's bitchin'. I don't know what it is but I am digging it.
"I thought, if I like it, Americans will like it. I like rugby sevens, but if I was ever going to invest in anything in the traditional sense my money is on rugby league.
"Case closed, end of discussion. My heart was telling me to reach out to this game and make a deal, which we did.
"Once we sat down, it happened in two or three days. We can't fail. I like rugby, but man do I dig rugby league!
"There is a lot of work ahead of us but it's really easy to do if you have the right people.
"The challenge for us is to quickly negotiate and convince these guys that it really is going to be a first-class event.
"That's the job. I am going to be honest. I don't know much about the history. I just know they're great, great, great rugby league teams.
"Nobody in the world would be more grateful than me to be associated with their match played in the US."
The ARL Commission is currently weighing up where to play Origin next season.
Melbourne has made a strong bid to host games for the next five years, offering $12.5 million as a sweetener. In the short term, the World Club Challenge looks more likely for Grand Prix Sports.
Long-term, Origin could find its way back to the west coast of America -- the fourth game of the 1987 series was played in Los Angeles.
"What would I be smarter doing? Spending a few million to put on a State of Origin or $50 million to start a 16-team league," Tatham said.
"If the rugby league people in Australia would support it, we can do it. You have to remember this, I am not doing this to put on one tournament.
"I am not going to be happy with that.
"We're going to try to build rugby league in the US.
"Ultimately, get elite athletes off the street to come and play the game.
"We have athletes coming out of our ears over here. It has to be compelling, that's the thing.
"If it costs $5 million, what's that worth in the long term?
"In any case, that's totally doable. It's priceless to have that here.
"We want to bring in the best in the world and make it worth their while financially."

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I hope the US gets good at league. It's no fun beating them when they aren't :p

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
They were on the improve until they had a huge falling out that split the clubs into two groups. So now you have the USNRL running a comp with about 10 clubs in it and the USARL running another comp with about another 10 clubs. The USARL will have a team at the 2013 world cup in England though.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Wait, so they have two national team? or just two competitions?

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Two competitions. The USARL is officially recognised by the IRLF which runs the world cup. So the USARL gets to pick it's world cup team while the players playing in the USNRL can't be selected.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Literally can't? Or because the USARL won't let them?

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Because the USARL and IRLF wont let them.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I would like to see the World Club Challenge return to a tournament like in 1998 - all NRL teams vs all English Superleague teams. Either that or a League World Nines tournament like in 1996 and 1997. Either of those played in the States could be a potential money spinner and really lift public awareness of rugby league in the US.

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
A top 3 or 4 from the ESL and NRL and some sort of world 7's or 9's would be absolutely great for the game.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I would like to see the World Club Challenge return to a tournament like in 1998 - all NRL teams vs all English Superleague teams. Either that or a League World Nines tournament like in 1996 and 1997. Either of those played in the States could be a potential money spinner and really lift public awareness of rugby league in the US.
The one thing that series showed was how far behind the ESL was to the southern hemisphere, and that was against a split comp here.

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
I noticed also that the guy that played hooker for the American union world cup side has crossed codes and has made the American league world cup side.

Reaction score
olek_skillgannon
Reaction score
i really hope rugby league gets bigger back home GO THE FIGHT!!!..it will never be as big as football, but it could be bigger than stupid soccer, i know rugby is trying to promote itself big time back home but i dont think rugby can succeed in the states, its too haughty taughty you know poncey its just too english and fighting is frowned upon and discouraged in rugby, too an american a full contact confrontational team sport where fighting is discouraged makes no damned sense

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
You're from the states, Olek?

Reaction score
olek_skillgannon
Reaction score
from passyunk square illadelph pennsylvania

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Wow. Hows an American get to be a fan of rugby league? Do you live in New Zealand now?

Reaction score
olek_skillgannon
Reaction score
Wow. Hows an American get to be a fan of rugby league? Do you live in New Zealand now?
yeah been living in nz since 2003, but even back home my dad was always wearing his warriors kiwis and bulldogs throw overs, and my uncles would send him vhs's of the nrl seasons, without a doubt the best thing in nz are the kiwis the warriors and rugby league...and the denny's resturaunts the denny's over here are real good better than the ones back home

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Any league played in your home town? Is your dad a Kiwi?

Reaction score
USAExPatriotNZCitizen

USAExPatriotNZCitizen

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
There are 2 simi-pro (think champion 2 in the UK or a little lower) RL comps in the USA, the AMNRL and the USARL The longer runing of the two is the AMNRL, the USARL is a break away (out of the AMNRL) comp with 6 teams on the east coast. there is also an ametuer comp in Hawaii with 12 clubs

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
There are 2 simi-pro (think champion 2 in the UK or a little lower) RL comps in the USA, the AMNRL and the USARL The longer runing of the two is the AMNRL, the USARL is a break away (out of the AMNRL) comp with 6 teams on the east coast. there is also an ametuer comp in Hawaii with 12 clubs
Whats this Ive been hearing about them joining up to strengthen the US local scene after the an outcry that only one local player is in the RLWC13 squad???

Reaction score
USAExPatriotNZCitizen

USAExPatriotNZCitizen

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Whats this Ive been hearing about them joining up to strengthen the US local scene after the an outcry that only one local player is in the RLWC13 squad???
well, they (AMNRL and the USARL) had tried to combine at the end of the 2012 season about a year ago. Unfortunately it didnt happen. With the RLWC squad the issue is that only 4 of them had played in the qualification matches in early 2012. The IRLF only acknowledge the AMNRL when it comes to the national team selection....Back in 2012 roughly half the national team was made up of AMNRL players and other half, from the USARL super league and aussie pros...however when it came time to name the rlwc squad they didnt name one USARL player from qualification stages and only 5 from AMNRL...needless to say the USARL players are fucked off because they played during qualification stages, yet they were snubbed for tournament they fought to qual. for

Top Bottom