1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
You know your avatar is all over FB hahaha

Reaction score
BA-AD Luck

BA-AD Luck

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
My thoughts: Even though our tackling is clearly disappointing, the fact that we are right up there for less metres conceded means that teams struggle to get out of their end with the ball in hand. So we are either forcing errors or referees are penalising us which piggy banks the opposition to our goal line. Throw the ball wide on the edge fo our compressed defence and there is the try. The stats show that we are playing a more direct and clinical line of attack with a lower rate of offloads. Nice stats, would be cool to see how our kicking game compares to the other teams though to see if that is an edge in our favour. That we don't need to rely on offloading and running as much because we have two genuinely good kickers finding excellent field position.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

My thoughts: Even though our tackling is clearly disappointing, the fact that we are right up there for less metres conceded means that teams struggle to get out of their end with the ball in hand. So we are either forcing errors or referees are penalising us which piggy banks the opposition to our goal line. Throw the ball wide on the edge fo our compressed defence and there is the try. The stats show that we are playing a more direct and clinical line of attack with a lower rate of offloads. Nice stats, would be cool to see how our kicking game compares to the other teams though to see if that is an edge in our favour. That we don't need to rely on offloading and running as much because we have two genuinely good kickers finding excellent field position.

Our defence in the middle third is pretty damn solid, even intimidating.
Our edges are wasting all that good work.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
really does all those stats show us anything that we hadnt realised?
were fairly good on attack and need to improve on defense. Actually the only real surprise to me was the missed tackle count between the years 15 this year and 16 last year - the surprise, weve improved

Reaction score

Jordan G

Our defence in the middle third is pretty damn solid, even intimidating.
Our edges are wasting all that good work.
Or our middle is solid because we jam in on the middle third, leaving an embarrasing amount of space out wide for too few players to cover.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
looking at those stats confirmed my thoughts. last year our defense was pretty much sorted, ready for a run to the finals. same time this year we are conceding 5 pts more per game - 1 try per game. yes our attack is better but your game has always and will always start with defence. you will find that as we get closer to september the defences will tighten up more with the good teams and some of those individual type tries that we are scoring will dry up.

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Or our middle is solid because we jam in on the middle third, leaving an embarrasing amount of space out wide for too few players to cover.
Or it's because we have a serious lack of experience in our backline. Look at the 2 tries the Titans scored on our left fringe last weekend, First one Johnson marked up someone covered by two other defenders to leave his opposite number with a free run to the try line.. The other one, Omar gives waaaay too much space to Mead - probably more forgiving as i think he was genuinely surprised by Meads speed, but still.. Neither of those tries should have been scored. No overlap was created, no one fooled by decoy runners, all the Titans had to did was spread it quickly and relied on us to make bad decisions. And that's probably been the message from opposition coaches to their players all year.

At least with Ben Henry defending we had one better-than-solid centre, now Johnson is defending in the centres... meaning he has to learn how to defend in a totally new position which he's struggling with.. and he's a comparitively weak defender to begin with. I really don't think he's so weak defensively that he needs to be "hid" in the centres.. he needs to be paired up with a taylor or a mannering and we need someone more capable defending in the centres, asap, because we are leaking tries and Johnson has never shown the proper defensive application to be able to defend in the centres.

Manu and Johnson defensive pairing.. is that the worst thing you've ever heard?

Reaction score
rugged

rugged

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think their is some truth that we jam up and in which leaves the outside guys with a tougher time. But it also clearly linked to defender skills, which is why one side is defending a lot worse then the other.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
I think their is some truth that we jam up and in which leaves the outside guys with a tougher time. But it also clearly linked to defender skills, which is why one side is defending a lot worse then the other.
it would be ok if we were going up and in but all we are doing is hold back and slide. if we are outnumbered we need to jam in and shut it down or at least make the opposition make a quick decision.

Top Bottom