General All Black Benji ??

BiggerD

BiggerD

https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...set-to-leave-wests-tigers-20130715-2q06g.html

Benji is gong to UNION Next Year..Just Announced

Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall will seek a release from the final two years of his contract.
Marshall's manager Martin Tauber has confirmed to Fairfax Media that he has told Tigers officials of the Kiwi representative's desire to leave the club at the end of this season. The 28-year-old will now likely play rugby union.

Marshall has returned from a holiday in Bali adamant that he will leave the club which he has played with for more than a decade, and helped to a remarkable premiership success in 2005.

''I've had a conversation with the chief operating officer Grant Mayer, and I've advised him of Benji's decision,'' Tauber said. ''Benji will play out the balance of the 2013 year but will seek an early release.'' Tauber has been in negotiations with Tigers officials since earlier this year, but those talks broke down after Marshall was benched by coach Mick Potter for the clash with South Sydney in round 10.

Advertisement
Marshall is known to be disillusioned that the Tigers did not honour a handshake agreement for him to sign a contract upgrade and extension, which would have seen him stay at the club until the end of 2017.
Recent discussions between the Tigers and Tauber have only centred on an upgrade of his current deal, which expires at the end of 2015. Marshall's current contract allowed for a renegotiation following an increase in the salary cap due to the new broadcast rights deal.

He has long been adamant that he would not play against the Tigers, which leaves Super Rugby as his likely destination.
Auckland Blues coach John Kirwan has held talks with Tauber, who is expected to now commence formal discussions with Waratahs coach Michael Cheika. Tauber stressed that Marshall did not have a deal confirmed with any rugby union outfit.

''This has been a very difficult decision. This young man has given 12 years of his football life to a club that he has great regard and affection for,'' Tauber said. ''However with what's transpired, he believes it's time for him to take up another challenge, for what will basically be the next five years of his life. We have many regrets but we understand that the club has a business to run. It's unfortunate that it has come to this. It would be remiss of us not to express our thanks to a number of the board members, and the chief operating officer for all their considerations.

''Benji has always stated that he would not play for another rugby league club, as he felt great thanks to all the sponsors who have supported him, and the fan base who have always cheered him on.''
The decision will come as a massive blow to the Tigers, who have lost a number of players in recent seasons, including Chris Heighington, Beau Ryan and Gareth Ellis. Marshall will be the biggest departure of those; he has been the club's marquee player for most of his time there, and his loss will be felt off the field as well as on it.
Marshall's form has been down this year, but he has shown signs of improvement as the Tigers have won three of their past five matches. They will now play the Warriors on Friday night at Leichhardt Oval, as they continue to fight for a top-eight spot, knowing that Marshall wants out.

Tigers boss Grant Mayer said he was disappointed by his star's decision but remained confident of a bright future for the Tigers.
"Benji is a fantastic role model not only for the club but for the game as a whole," he said.
"I believe no one person who has watched the game over the past 12 years would have one negative thought about what he's done for this great game

"Wests Tigers are obviously disappointed with the decision. We understand that he has broader things to consider than simply himself,
and we wish him all the very best."

Mayer, though, stressed that any release would need to be approved by the board.
"A request for a release is something that we would have to consider," he said.
"No doubt the board will do this very quickly.
"We are extremely confident, no matter what the outcome, Benji will continue to be first class both on and off the field for Wests Tigers for the rest of the season"

Earlier this month, Marshall revealed to Fairfax Media why he was considering moving on, maintaining that he believed he had agreed to an extended deal with the club.
''To my knowledge, I'd done a deal to stay at the Tigers until 2017, but with the changes to the CEO and the club, they've informed me that won't be the deal any more. I've got a lot of things to weigh up,'' he said.
Of a switch to rugby union, he said: ''Growing up, it was a dream of mine to play for the All Blacks. That changed and I started playing rugby league. But I'll consider rugby, absolutely.''

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/marshall-set-to-leave-wests-tigers-20130715-2q06g.html#ixzz2Z6mjj5z5

wallacenz

wallacenz

no chance, hes dreaming. he will get injured the first time a ruck rolls over him. just another quade cooper

Reactions: 1 users
BiggerD

BiggerD

Benji, still has abit of a step as noticed in his Tigers games this year. However, he doesnt have the Zip..he once had.

Union is played slower and I think personally, at this stage, it will suit him better.

Heck, if you could earn a couple of million playing Union in France or Japan, I would probably consider it as well.

Reactions: 2 users

aussie_warrior

Heck, if could earn a couple of million doing anything I'd consider it.

Reactions: 7 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Benji would be lucky to make the Kiwis. He doesnt stand a snowflakes chance in hell of being an All Black unless we pick a fourth string team to play Uruguay!!!

Defence

Defence

Good luck to him- Grand finals, world cups, tri nations and the golden boot. its been a pleasure to watch him play.
Not many, if any would have a highlight reel as good as his- mind u he would have a fair blooper reel too.

Reactions: 3 users
Sup42

Sup42

I will be very interested to see if he makes the Sevens Team.

Dangerous fullah with Seven players marking him. Tetjins ( sp ? ) seemed keener on Williams ( of the league names being touted to make that squad ).

It willl be a crack up if the Australians pick Barba , Inglis , Falau Thurston

Reactions: 1 user

Poihakena

I would play him as an old school New Zealand second five eighth rather than at 10 in union. We haven't really played with one since Aaron Mauger or Luke McCallister. He's no chance of playing at 10 for the ABs but 12 is a possibility if you want a different style at 12 than Nonu and revert to a traditional 13...

wallacenz

wallacenz

I would play him as an old school New Zealand second five eighth rather than at 10 in union. We haven't really played with one since Aaron Mauger or Luke McCallister. He's no chance of playing at 10 for the ABs but 12 is a possibility if you want a different style at 12 than Nonu and revert to a traditional 13...

too small and not a good enough defender to defend midfield imo

Mt Albert Lions

I can only see him at halfback if he has any chances in union. All blacks is too far a dream for Benji but anything can happen in 12 months. Might be Japanese rugby or even Superleague.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Wallaby, surely, he wouldn't qualify for the all wanks by playing for the Waratahs.

Danpatmac

I can see him making it. He can definitely tackle well enough to play poofterball at fullback or midfield. He won't be a half.

Far Away Fan

From an article on theroar.com.au this morning:

<<< His departure, while a huge shock, should be just a speed bump if managed properly.
The club has two hugely talent playmakers in Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses waiting for a shot at first grade.
Brooks is ready now. He understands structure and reads the game brilliantly. >>>

So eff off Benji. Similar to how it was for Sarfs with Sandow. Along comes Adam Reynolds in his stead and the rest is history.

Sandow couldn't get on without his fellow indigenous players and supporters I reckon, but that is speculation on my part. He's floundered away from Redfern, anyway. Misself, I can't see Benji succeeding in a new environment, but who knows. It's not as if he's tried a different environment before, like SBW, and he's been a fixture at Leichhardt almost since the dawn of time. Good luck to him, though.......

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

I will be very interested to see if he makes the Sevens Team.

Dangerous fullah with Seven players marking him. Tetjins ( sp ? ) seemed keener on Williams ( of the league names being touted to make that squad ).

It willl be a crack up if the Australians pick Barba , Inglis , Falau Thurston

Talking to a workmate who is an ex NZ sevens player, he said he would give Benji a chance to make the sevens team because he suits the game, has an experienced head and still has enough skill but doubtful Benji would make any impact in Super 15. I think Benji would be better off taking a contract in Japan or France playing yawnion.

Mt Albert Lions

Well, good luck to Benji I say. I'm a fan of both sports so its good to see him return to union. Hope he comes to the Blues.

koolkat

koolkat

he wouldn't make 1st/five in a NPC team right now especially when defenders are only standing 4/5 meters back.i think he will make the step up given time. but all black material don't think so

Sup42

Sup42

Well, good luck to Benji I say. I'm a fan of both sports so its good to see him return to union. Hope he comes to the Blues.
Bro I don't hate union any more , got over my Roots experience ( got whipped at high school literally by a Union Faggot P.E. teacher for playing league on the side back in the dark ages in the Counties banjo playing Union country ).

I too would like to see how Marshall goes in Union , I really would , and that say's it all as far as the Value of signing a League to the Union code of the Mana and Enigma of Marshall.

I envy people who can watch Union and League and love both.

Never seen a World Cup final in Union ( truth ) and not for any hang up...purely out of a lack of interest in the sport itself.

Reactions: 3 users
koolkat

koolkat

Bro I don't hate union any more , got over my Roots experience ( got whipped at high school literally by a Union Faggot P.E. teacher for playing league on the side back in the dark ages in the Counties banjo playing Union country ).

I too would like to see how Marshall goes in Union , I really would , and that say's it all as far as the Value of signing a League to the Union code of the Mana and Enigma of Marshall.

I envy people who can watch Union and League and love both.

Never seen a World Cup final in Union ( truth ) and not for any hang up...purely out of a lack of interest in the sport itself.
Straight up its hard not to want watch both codes IMO,I love league.but when the all blacks lost to France in the 1/4 finals in 07 it felt like I'd lost a loved one, seriously I was in mourning for a few days .but now older and wiser I can give or take watching the all blacks and the crusaders.but still take an interest in what they are doing.but if Canberra are playing a dyer game against parramatta on Saturday night, that's when the channel will be flicked to union. but after 5 collapsed scrums in five minutes it doesn't take long to flick back to a dyer game of rugby league thats for sure

Reactions: 4 users
shuffle

shuffle

but when the all blacks lost to France in the 1/4 finals in 07 it felt like I'd lost a loved one, seriously I was in mourning for a few days .

I was pissed off! So pissed the next day i went and bought a Kiwis jersey! And then the weekend the Kiwis lose by about 50? Haha epic fail. I did meet Frank Pritchard!