General Alex McKinnon messages of Support

All the best to Alex and his family. Latest update I just read said his career is over per the below. Kia kaha Alex - stay strong.

https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...ing-sickening-neck-injury-20140325-35gkb.html

The rugby league world was united in support for Alex McKinnon after confirmation the young Newcastle forward’s career had been ended by a spinal injury suffered in a tackle the NRL match review committee found too difficult to grade, referring it to a judiciary hearing.

It is sad and we are extremely disappointed for him

A Knights statement on Tuesday night said McKinnon had movement in his right arm and had undergone emergency surgery to stabilise his neck, which involved the removal of a disc at C4 and C5 anterior fusion.

Scans had earlier revealed he suffered fractures of his C4 and C5 vertebrae but his spinal cord was not severed.

However, further scans after the operation confirmed what the Knights statement described as a ‘‘devastating spinal injury’’. ‘‘Alex remains in hospital in intensive care and may require further surgery to stabilise his spine,’’ the statement said. ‘‘He has movement in his right arm and the uncertainty remains in regeneration, with a variable prognosis. The doctors explained regeneration and recovery could be up to two years.’’

Fairfax Media was told that McKinnon was in traction and heavily sedated to prevent movement. News of the injury sent shockwaves around the league world and there were also concerns for the welfare of Storm prop Jordan McLean, while the match review committee struggles to decide what charge to hit the 22-year-old rookie with as the offence was not what would be considered a classic spear tackle.

Fairfax Media was told that Newcastle players were taught to tuck their heads and roll to protect themselves when lifted in a tackle but McKinnon is thought to have become disorientated after McLean tipped him off balance after being held upright by Jesse and Kenny Bromwich.

The match review committee spent much of the day agonising over how to deal with the tackle before deciding at 5pm to refer McLean to a judiciary hearing to determine a penalty.

Newcastle coach Wayne Bennett said that in more than 50 years of coaching and playing he had never had to deal with such an injury.

‘‘Most of them you can fix up but I am just not sure how we can fix this one or where it will all finish,’’ Bennett said. ‘‘It is sad and we are extremely disappointed for him. He is getting the best care now and we are giving him all the support we possibly can. After that we just have to hope for the best for him.
‘‘It is tough on all of us, we are friends and mates and played in a football team together, and this doesn’t happen. Coaching has many twists and turns to it — this is just one of those things that aren’t in the coaching manual.

‘‘My whole life in football that is the first one I have been involved in or seen. I have coached and I have played since I was a little boy and it is the first time I have certainly been involved in anything like this or it has happened in any team Ihave been involved with so they are infrequent, thank God.’’

Bennett, who first coached McKinnon at St George Illawarra in 2009, said: ‘‘If you asked me if he was one of my favourites I would probably say he was. He is an outstanding young man.’’
Rival players were shocked by McKinnon’s injury.

‘‘Being a good mate of Alex, it’s really tough to watch and you know I couldn’t watch the replays or anything like that and just thoughts go out to him and his family today,’’ Sydney Roosters lock Boyd Cordner said. ‘‘You know it’s obviously shocking news to happen to any player ... but to your mate it’s even more harder.’’

Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran said: ‘‘I think there would have been a lot of footballers sitting at home last night just reflecting on their careers and how lucky we are, you know to see that terrible accident happen to Alex last night ... Iknow I was sitting there thinking ‘you never know when it’s gonna end, that tackle like that – that can happen to anyone.’’

Mitchell Pearce echoed his teammate Cordner’s sentiment. ‘‘We were in Bali a couple of years ago together, he’s just a real good bloke so to watch him last night go like that. Everyone’s competitive but seeing someone go down hurt and potentially seeing them lost what their dream is [is] more important than footy and certainly makes you feel pretty sad about yourself.’’

Reactions: 1 user

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
it is not needful to know someone to share a thought of compassion for them, and here is a situation where we all can understand and appreciate what this young man and his family are going through. It is too easy to imagine this happening to someone you know, idolise or care for. Thank god these sorts of things don't happen every day. My thoughts and my families thoughts go out to him, wishing him the speediest of recoveries and the happiest of futures possible

Reactions: 1 users
Just a devastating way to end a players career...even saying something like "Get well" seems a hollow gesture, just thankful your alive mate, best wishes for what the future brings you and hopefully the hospital peeps and especially family give you all the best care possible.

Reactions: 4 users
Absolutely horrifying. As said above, saying get well soon seems incredibly hollow. Hopefully the Knights will do some sort of benefit soon and we can help out in that way.

Best wishes Alex Mckinnon, hopefully you are able to recover well and find another field to devote yourself to. Given that you had the drive to play NRL level football, I'm sure you will succeed.

Absolutely horrifying. As said above, saying get well soon seems incredibly hollow. Hopefully the Knights will do some sort of benefit soon and we can help out in that way.

Best wishes Alex Mckinnon, hopefully you are able to recover well and find another field to devote yourself to. Given that you had the drive to play NRL level football, I'm sure you will succeed.
A benefit is a good idea.

After what they did for cave creek the call is there for us to step up

https://www.nrl.com/mclean-sends-message-to-injured-mckinnon/tabid/10874/newsid/77109/default.aspx

Melbourne prop Jordan McLean is understood to be deeply upset by the broken neck suffered by Newcastle's Alex McKinnon in a tackle gone wrong.

While the NRL monitors the welfare of players from both Newcastle and Melbourne in the wake of the horrible accident in Monday night's match, McLean has posted a message to 22-year-old McKinnon on his Facebook account.

"Best wishes to Alex McKinnon, I genuinely hope your alright and have a safe recovery," he wrote.

McKinnon was placed in an induced coma in Melbourne's The Alfred Hospital on Tuesday and the full extent of his condition is yet to be determined.

His parents Kate and Scott and his partner Teigan Power issued a heartfelt statement on Wednesday.

"We wish to thank the public and the media for the tremendous support and words of concern we have already received for our son and partner, Alex," they said.

"He remains in a critical but stable condition...

"Alex's injury is still in its early days and we are still in the process of understanding its implications and what the future may hold for him.

"This is a challenging time for everyone who loves Alex and, until such a time that we are feeling stronger, we ask that our family's privacy is respected so that we can focus solely on his recovery."

NRL chief operation officer Jim Doyle said on Wednesday the governing body's player welfare officers were keeping in contact with their counterparts at the Knights and Storm and will continue to do so over coming weeks.

"We are obviously concerned about anyone who has been involved and our welfare guys are working with both Newcastle and Melbourne and all the players," he said.

"At this point in time obviously our thoughts are with Alex and his family and our focus is very much on his welfare."

McLean was charged by the match review panel with a dangerous throw after the tackle he made with brothers Jesse and Kenny Bromwich, in which McKinnon landed head first.

The matter has been referred straight to the NRL judiciary due to the serious injury but Doyle said he couldn't give a date for the hearing which was deferred with McLean stood down for a week.

"The (NRL) football department are working in regards to when is the appropriate time," he said.

"Again our No.1 priority is with Alex and his family, that is why we have put that off. It's not appropriate to do it now."

NSW team coach Laurie Daley said the NRL was doing everything possible to make rugby league as safe as it could be and he also revealed that he viewed McKinnon as a possible future State of Origin player.

"I think the NRL are doing a great job, you can see with the introduction of the concussion laws, that has been a real positive," Daley said.

"Clubs are now understanding the importance of player health and I think clubs themselves are understanding that just because you get a bit of a whack you are not a sook if you need to come off the field.

"I think the league are doing some really good things in that regard.

"I believe the game is safe, but my thoughts are with Alex McKinnon.

"Everyone in the rugby league community is hoping for the best.

"I thought it was an accident. I don't think the kid (McLean) meant to put him in that position.

"I think the focus should be on Alex and his family.

"It should be about him making a full recovery and everyone thinking about that rather than everyone thinking about whether this kid should be suspended and whether there should be rule changes.

"Unfortunately accidents can occur in a contact sport but we never like to see these sort of injuries happen to anyone."

McLean has posted a message to 22-year-old McKinnon on his Facebook account.

Given that McKinnon is in hospital in Melbourne - I would have thought he'd go to the hospital myself... I hope he will... I know it'll be tough, and he'll be feeling horrible - but he should make an appearance..

And agree with the others - it'd be awesome to have some form of benefit match for McKinnon.

Didn't we play Newcastle as a benefit for Pike River? Surely we should return the favour?
We next play the Knights @ Mt Smart, Sunday 1 June. I reckon it would be a great gesture for the Warriors to suggest that be used as a benefit game for Alex. Our second game is over in Newcastle August 14 - which may be too late in the season.

Reactions: 4 users
We next play the Knights @ Mt Smart, Sunday 1 June. I reckon it would be a great gesture for the Warriors to suggest that be used as a benefit game for Alex. Our second game is over in Newcastle August 14 - which may be too late in the season.
Tell Scurrah they could do a special jersey for the game and he'll be all over it.

Maybe we could organise Red and Blue wristbands as was done for Sonny Fai? Those seemed to do quite well.

If there was ever a reason for Aucklanders that claim Mt Smart is too hard to get to, this is the perfect reason to actually go, show some support and watch them live rather than on tv. And making a real effort to support a cause rather than their effort stopping at clicking the like button on a forum.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe we could organise Red and Blue wristbands as was done for Sonny Fai? Those seemed to do quite well.
Ironically a few of the people behind that are no longer here, was a good idea tho my young fulla still has a couple of those.

arohanui kia koe alex, mo to wahine me nga whanau. thoughts and prayers to you alex, your partner and your family through this tough time....."Mauri Ora"

Tell Scurrah they could do a special jersey for the game and he'll be all over it.

Not if 100% of the proceeds go to Alex's benefit and treatment...

Definitely would be a great gesture to make note of the occasion as a showing of support from over here in NZ, as long as we don't get the Knights having to go through this for the next 21 games

Given that McKinnon is in hospital in Melbourne - I would have thought he'd go to the hospital myself... I hope he will... I know it'll be tough, and he'll be feeling horrible - but he should make an appearance..

But then that seems to be a sign of the times doesn't it....a generation where it's the norm and much more convenient to post a fb status,send a tweet,throw a pic up on instagram :facepalm:

But then that seems to be a sign of the times doesn't it....a generation where it's the norm and much more convenient to post a fb status,send a tweet,throw a pic up on instagram :facepalm:

To be fair, not a lot of time has passed since the injury. I think by keeping his distance for the moment, it shows respect for the family who I doubt would be too happy to see him. They might not be angry, but I would imagine it would be upsetting at the very least. I'll hold judgement for the next little while, until Mckinnon is awake or being discharged at least. If there's no visit forthcoming by then, it starts to look a little bad.

Reactions: 3 users