General Alex McKinnon may sue the NRL & The Melbourne Storm

Should Alex McKinnon take legal action for the devastating injury that left him in a wheelchair ?

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Vancent

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
Very sad either way.

I can understand the NRL approach - with or without the job for life and support to date, essentially it's drawing from the insurer with the only real impact being the gap and increased risk rating therefore premiums isn't it?

The bit I (can only) guess is that the McLean approach is out of unresolved anger.

Very sad and I really feel for McLean.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Very sad either way.

I can understand the NRL approach - with or without the job for life and support to date, essentially it's drawing from the insurer with the only real impact being the gap and increased risk rating therefore premiums isn't it?

The bit I (can only) guess is that the McLean approach is out of unresolved anger.

Very sad and I really feel for McLean.
Didnt Jarrod McCracken have to sue the Storm, Stephen Kearney and Marcus Bai to get a cent from insurers? Pretty sure he came saying he didnt want to sue them but that was the only way he could get a payout...

Reactions: 1 user
Johnnyray

Johnnyray

Awesome. Haven't posted on here for a while as I haven't felt that I had anything serious to contribute but after reading people opinion on here about this I just want to say something in Alex defence. I don't know why people are suddenly attacking him after reading latest news concerning him and his plans sue NRL and players involved for his life changing injury that has left him paralysed from waist down. It's almost as if as fans we've been conned by NRL that attack on them by someone is an attack on game of rugby league itself. Why we should care about NRL, large multinational corporation who doesn't care about us, they only care about themselves, their business model and their board members is beyond me. Because like I said you do know they don't give a shit about us right ?

They couldn't give a shit about us fans and if they don't give a shit about us fans then they definitely not going to give shit about any of their players, Alex included. What we saw a year and half back with him, The Rise For Alex Round and everything else, all of it, it was just damage control, all done to protect their brand. That's what large multinational corporations who don't give shit about anybody else but themselves do when it's in crisis. They take control, hoping to sweep it away through a lot of empty promises and false platitudes in attempt appease growing public anger. Like I said don't be conned by it people, it's all bullshit. Alex, in my opinion has every right sue NRL, knowing that in today corporate world whatever outcome will be, it will all be paid by insurance firms with no one involved including players named in lawsuits to be affected by this. So don't see it as personal attack on them by Alex when he's just doing what he has to do in ordering to get funding he needs to continue his ongoing treatment which according to some reports in papers I've read have already cost him $2 million dollars AUS. Because before we attack Alex, let's not forget his injury was an accident waiting to happen. For years clubs, coaches and players complained about Storm tackling and how they were using certain wrestling techniques to slow down play of ball but NRL never did anything about it because why would they ? Remember this is same organisation who for years waved away all of their doctors and medical experts advice surrounding shoulder charge and only banned it once dangers became too big for them to ignore this being years after NZRL had it banned here. The same organisation who is still to this day is refusing to introduce pads, body armour protection and helmets to game all because of what it might do to their image as hard man, working man sport. Like I said NRL as corporation they couldn't give shit about players safety, only when it concerns them or suit their agenda, that's why for me I personally support his decision to sue them. Sadly until real changes are made in our game, Alex won't be last one on field to be hurt like this. I just seriously hope that by then nobody gets killed caused of them ... :sorry:

Reactions: 2 users
Vancent

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
Didnt Jarrod McCracken have to sue the Storm, Stephen Kearney and Marcus Bai to get a cent from insurers? Pretty sure he came saying he didnt want to sue them but that was the only way he could get a payout...
Believe so yes but not certain. In essence it can sound worse than it ends up being, McLean may. It be affected by it financially in the end, it again more speculation than knowledge.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
I still believe he intentionally tried to milk a penalty...
That is the obvious inference, but it still was an illegal tackle.
A ruling in favour for Alex could have significant repercussions throughout the game. How could Bushy footy clubs afford insurance for such claims.
They cannot.

If a club isn't insured it would probably be a waste of money suing. Also the amount of money the NRL seems to have offered him, $700,00 a year for life, is a lot of compensation that would have to be considered in any court claim.

The other thing is that if it happened at Mount Smart our ACC laws would apply and there would be no right to sue.

Last edited:
brightman

brightman

Awesome. Haven't posted on here for a while as I haven't felt that I had anything serious to contribute but after reading people opinion on here about this I just want to say something in Alex defence. I don't know why people are suddenly attacking him after reading latest news concerning him and his plans sue NRL and players involved for his life changing injury that has left him paralysed from waist down. It's almost as if as fans we've been conned by NRL that attack on them by someone is an attack on game of rugby league itself. Why we should care about NRL, large multinational corporation who doesn't care about us, they only care about themselves, their business model and their board members is beyond me. Because like I said you do know they don't give a shit about us right ?

You're so off base, Alex McKinnon has never acknowledged his part in the tackle that caused his injury and until he does the video footage can't lie. McClean copped his punishment and penance, the other 2 tacklers? and how about the boofhead who tucked his head? His efforts were strange and questionable and definitely contributed to the outcome.
The multinational corporate NRL tripe is actually a given but we still have passion for RL and get our fix watching the NRL year in year out.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

We also must remember that Ozzie doesn't have ACC so their system is more litigious, more in line with the USA.

It is a can of worms but by the NRL's own standards it was an incident outside what is legally acceptable in the game. Punishments were handed out, and generous compensation paid.

However, the key word here is liability, and that hasn't been tested in the Courts over this incident. McKinnon at the moment is being paid out of goodwill.

This really an Occupational Health and Safety matter. Could his employers have reasonably foreseen that such an incident could happen, and what measures did they take to prevent or mitigate it.

Blain

Blain

Yeah the whole grey situation in the tackle, it looks like Mckinnon feels he is going to be rolled over completely onto his back, past the vertical, so tucks his head. The tacklers adjust, but McKinnon's head is stuck, and pushed into the ground by the tacklers weight. That will need to be taken into account when looking at who is responsible etc.

Reactions: 1 users
fizurg

fizurg

Every time you step foot on a rugby field you risk serious injury. It's just a fact with the type of game it is. Fortunately serious injury like this are very rare.
It's just like when we get in our cars on the way to work. We all take that risk everyday. That's just a part of living.
Not long after i skydived for the first time a guy at the same company unused shoot didn't open. I've since used that company again. You can't live scared and Alex didn't every time he went on the field.
Unfortunately he was massively unlucky.
But on the other hand he was also very lucky. If he wasn't such a gifted player then he would have been playing bush league and wouldn't have recieved a cent.
Personally I'm fine with him sueing for everything he can get. That's his right.
I would be interested in finding out how much he uses to help others with that money though.

Navigator

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
it makes Alex look like the bad guy after the accident he came out and said that it wasn't McClean fault it was just an accident now he's trying to prove it was his fault......not good

Reactions: 1 users
drunk_monk

drunk_monk

I'm not envious of the NRL employees who have to argue this in court. They have probably all felt sorry for Alex, and to argue against his claims would be difficult as fuck internally.

Still I thought he had been taken care of well as didn't he get 1.5 mill, plus the 750k from the knights contract, plus his regular paying job for life?

Suing the other player seems fucked to me, but we also don't know whats going on behind closed doors. He may have met with McClean and they agreed for the law suit so Alex can get p[aid out by insurance, I know that happens a lot in the States.

I didn't actually think you could sue people for damages in Aus as I thought their medicare was an ACC equivalent. So learned something new.

Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Heard on the news last night that the cost of his rehab is expected to run upwards of $20m. Guessing the money he has so far doesn't cover anywhere near that?

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Heard on the news last night that the cost of his rehab is expected to run upwards of $20m. Guessing the money he has so far doesn't cover anywhere near that?
That sounds a lot of money. NZ ACC would give him 80% of his current salary for life and all his rehab, home improvements and the like. The NRL are giving him 100% of his salary for life, which would be a lot of money as well.
I didn't actually think you could sue people for damages in Aus as I thought their medicare was an ACC equivalent. So learned something new.
The ACC Act was quite contentious when it came into force because it deprives NZ lawyers of a lot of income. The theory was the money was better spent on rehab than lawyers. The insurance companies often disregard the cost of litigation to prevent other people trying.

fizurg

fizurg

Bruce are you sure he will be getting his full NRL contract for life?
I've never read it anywhere else and I always assumed a job for life meant more like $50k a year.

Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Bruce are you sure he will be getting his full NRL contract for life?
I've never read it anywhere else and I always assumed a job for life meant more like $50k a year.
Yeah that's how I understood it too. Job for life is in recruitment for the Knights and they won't be paying him $350k per year for that!!

Also would ACC pay out 80% of his salary if he was only contracted for 2 years??

drunk_monk

drunk_monk

Yeah that's how I understood it too. Job for life is in recruitment for the Knights and they won't be paying him $350k per year for that!!

Also would ACC pay out 80% of his salary if he was only contracted for 2 years??
I thought ACC covers it until sickness benefit kicks in which is until you can work again. Could be wrong though.

drunk_monk

drunk_monk

As I understand it Medicare in Aus is pretty damn good, and even refund full doctors fees.

I highly doubt the 20 mill is coming from his pockets unless he's doing it privately. And 20 mill seems high for public sector health care so surely that's top of the line private stuff.

His insurance may require him to sue for damages before the cover costs or something.

wazzas

It makes me wonder how regular people deal with rehab costs because Alex has received a lot from being a public figure already that others just wouldn't receive.

Reactions: 2 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor

My bad, I checked the release and it only mentions a job, not how much.
I thought ACC covers it until sickness benefit kicks in which is until you can work again. Could be wrong though.
I checked that out as well. It says if the injury is permanent you get a lump sum, thee are also maximum payments.

I knew somebody who was paralysed at work. The ACC payments were such he and his family didn't have to worry about money. He had been earning quite a bit.

Danpatmac

-interesting how many people on here are suggesting McKinnon's actions contributed to the injury in this accident... I distinctly remember being pretty soundly derided and dragged over the coals on this site for even suggesting that at the time.