Alex Corvo

1. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Besides demanding what he wants have you heard if he encourages or praises the guys if they do a personal best or push through etc. Or what he's like with the guys once the session stops, is he more relaxed with the boys?

I know it seems silly about encouraging guys or their paid well enough and shouldn't need encouragement but as we have seen with trainers or coaches over the years it is an easy out for players to not put in for someone.

We have also had trainers like Jennings who were pumped up a bit on arrival and heard about him yelling at the players but things didn't work out.

2. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Yep, there’s reasons for it but it’s pretty tedious stuff to get into so I won’t on this thread.

3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Because in the past if a few of the bros get the sulks the rest join in sympathy, or that seems to be the story. That doesn't happen in other clubs, or the Crusaders, because if they get the sulks the other players join in on them not with them.

4. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

Corvo has gotten a lot of praise from fans, coaching staff, commentators and rightly so the side looks it good shape.

What I like is if you listen to most of his interviews he has been saying there is only so much he can do this year. We would see the benefits in the second pre-season.

Something to think about.:D

5. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

Corvo got me like ...

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

6. Winston...
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Winston... 1st Grade Fringe

After seeing what Corvo has done with our motley mob in one pre season, imagine what he could do with Josh Papalii (if there's any truth to that rumour that popped up recently).

7. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

A little more on Corvo, the absolute don. Really good to hear Blair saying 'another tough pre-season' rather than 'I was surprised at how chill it is at The Warriors' like we've seen new recruits imply in the past.

8. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

He is good but dont think he can do a brain transplant if thats what you are thinking?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Navigator
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Navigator 1st Grade Fringe

Can anyone tell me if the u20s and isp boys all train under corvo's watch ????
    Just the isp boys looked tired.

10. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Asssume they all would have trained together over pre season...

11. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington Warriors Orange Peeler Contributor

Preseason together and at least two trainings a week full squad then they break into their own teams...

12. MXRecord
    Join:
    Apr 8, 2014

MXRecord 1st Grade Fringe

Hands down the best signing. We look lean and fucking mean. _b

13. Snoopy
    Join:
    Aug 19, 2017

Snoopy 1st Grade Fringe

I also noticed how tired they looked and the lack of aggression and urgency that the 1sts have

14. Rick O'Shay
    Join:
    May 1, 2013

Rick O'Shay 1st Grade Fringe

There was some talk of a bug or the flu going around which was supposedly affecting the players.

15. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

ISP guys will never look as fit as Firsts because of the Game fitness thing.

Fast Games make you fitter.

Usually because of our poor conditioning past in first grade, you will see the Warriors play unfit until after several rounds of the NRL.

By the late rounds of the comp we look way fitter than our season starts, but we are still playing catchup against teams that have a head start,

The other big difference between grades is the lack of experienced guys driving the rest.

They also get chopped and changed as they lose their best players to the top side.

Best players this year means guys breaking records in meters gained and tackles (Paasi in one game, Satae and Gelling).

They can get better though with the regular contact with their Peers in the top side.

They will get better.

16. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

Before we the game on the weekend we had Cameron Smith saying the Warriors are an 80 minute team. The signing of Corvo made him sit up and take notice.
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

After the game Thurston saying Corvo is shaping the Warriors.

It is great to see the results turning around and the fitness levels are pretty obvious. When he was signed the hype around him was looking like it was impossible for him to deliver results that match.

Corvo has said the second season is where we will see the results. Things have been fantastic so far so I can't wait for that.:D

He has also said in interviews that from a far he has watched the Warriors and getting the best out of them was an interesting challenge. The results so far and the hype around him does mean other clubs needing to rebuild will come calling. So hopefully the challenge to turn this club around is enough to keep him here.

17. leaguejunkie
    Join:
    Mar 20, 2016

leaguejunkie 1st Grade Fringe

Anyone know how long he's contracted to us for? Hope it's for a couple of years. I can definitely see other clubs circling like vultures to pick apart not only our roster, but also support staff if we continue our impressive run.

edit: sorry guys, just had to google it for myself. Silly me :rolleyes:

Great to know that Corvo is contracted to us for 3 years.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  18. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

You can appreciate why Bellamy thought Six Million dollars to coach the Warriors ...was not enough...insisting his staff came with him.
    You gotta have the best staff.

19. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

Is Wiki taking notes. It would be great if we had a team of support staff able to carry on
    An surpass the standards he has set.

20. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

On the Sunday NRL show on Triple M Paul Kent had a good yarn about Alex Corvo introducing new training techniques for the players during the pre-season.

He ran a drill where the players did hill sprints and during a run they were each shown a card with a certain colour and then another one with a number.
    They were then asked afterwards which colour and which number they had seen.
    In the beginning they were really bad by the sounds but soon improved.

The drill was aiming to improve clear thinking when under fatigue.

Cooper Cronk also had some good insights on Super Saturday, saying that Alex Corvo isn't science based, he's more mental toughness based.
    He also mentioned that during our game against the Roosters he noticed three things about us : our Energy, our Physicality and the fact we were United.

When we were in our huddles, he noticed that Blake Green kept repearing one word...Focus