Player Agnatius Paasi

Already been mentioned in other threads that Agnatius is coming back home, but I thought I'd start his own thread:

League: Warriors sign prop Agnatius Paasi
6 Nov, 2017 2:40pm

Agnatius Paasi of the Titans is tackled by the Bulldogs defence in round 25. Photo / Getty Images

The Warriors have completed the signing of former Gold Coast Titans prop Agnatius Paasi with the 25-year-old inking a two-year deal.

The one-test Tongan international becomes the third former Warriors player to return this off-season, joining outside back Peta Hiku and forward Matiu Love-Henry.

Paasi, who debuted with the Warriors in 2014, made 54 appearances for the Titans across three seasons. He enjoyed a superb Auckland Nines tournament in 2016 that propelled him into a strong season where he played all 25 games for the Titans.

But injury restricted the aggressive and skillful prop to just 11 games this year before he sought a release from the Titans.

"Agnatius became available after being released on compassionate grounds so he and his family could return home," said Warriors CEO Cameron George.

"We're excited to be able to add him to our roster. He's another aggressive forward, just the type Stephen (Kearney) is after as we look to boost our front row resources."

Paasi joins former fellow Titan Leivaha Pulu, Adam Blair, Tohu Harris and Love-Henry in a new-look forward pack.

Backs Gerard Beale and Hiku have also signed with the Auckland club.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11941049

RizNz

U20's Player
Apr 19, 2018
Christchurch
Any of you get the beady eye from Adam Blair? I swear he looks like he's gonna get up and floor you.

Iggy is very talkative as is Maumalo. Kata I reckon lacks confidence as his English still isn't the best and of course retarded questions generally get ignored by anyone...

I didn't actually ask Kata that question though I wanted to... he did ignore me though lol. You might be right about his lack of confidence with english.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
St Helens are a marquee super league team, sure he will have a good experience and be well looked after - in normal circumstances.

Can't help but wonder about blokes with families heading over there in these times though, Hardyman's Yugo Hardyman's Yugo what's the general state of ESL at the moment? Crowds? they aren't going to go bust if the 2021 season is covid affected as well?

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Hmm I don't know if this is the right move TBH, I'd be starting him next to AFB next season with Evans and LAM off the bench. I guess they are happy that JTB or Afoa will fill that hole, LAM and Evans are a good bench pair IMO.
Paid the price for going home this season. Dropped down the pecking order instead of showing what he had to offer.

kos

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2013
I think there might be some truth in that.
When he arrived on the gc he was only on peanut money. He used to get the bus to training. His missus and kids were back in NZ.
His Missus probably said we are not doing this a second time ...come home. So he did.
The price sadly is a contract in covid ravaged uk.
Personally if I was a Peter O’Sullivan who I assume calls the shots I would keep Paasi.
But I m not I have the same surname but a different first name. Maybe we are related as O’Sullivan means son of Sullivan. But I don’t think he ll listen although the hierarchy seemed to take note of fans concern on keeping Hiku.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Hmm I don't know if this is the right move TBH, I'd be starting him next to AFB next season with Evans and LAM off the bench. I guess they are happy that JTB or Afoa will fill that hole, LAM and Evans are a good bench pair IMO.
Afoa has been told he's not wanted .
Paasi has been told to go .

Our props are
JTB ,An Man ,AFB ,Evens .
Seems we wanted to up our expectations for our forward pack .
An I didn't miss any of the players who didn't play for us this year
Just goes to show really .

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney

Our props are
Have to admit I like the stance of the club that you can’t take your jersey from granted, yes it’s a little harsh for the reasons he went home- but it’s also the risk he took

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
I thought he was very ordinary last season to be honest. I was surprised we resigned him on a three year contract at the end of last season. Both here and at the Titans he had a great first season before dropping off.

Imagine he’s on decent money as well, but would be still wary of releasing him unless we have a plan for his salary. Still a damaging prop when he’s at the top of his game.

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington

Our props are

We need more than 4 props in our squad. Blair, Burr and Papalii are all gone, who have shared the propping rotation with JTB and loaners this season. We found this season you can't rely on 4 props, depth is necessary.

If Paasi goes, Afoa won't be going anywhere. IMO they picked Paasi over Afoa, then that fell through, so Paasi got the shoulder tap.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Paasi an Afoa are to expensive to not be playing
It's reality your reserve grade players are cheap .
Usually young guys on the up .signed for bottom dollar
or occasionally an old player
Who signs for bottom dollar for his last season .

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
Paasi an Afoa are to expensive to not be playing
It's reality your reserve grade players are cheap .
Usually young guys on the up .signed for bottom dollar
or occasionally an old player
Who signs for bottom dollar for his last season .

I think you should have 5 props on decent coin and therefore to a good standard. It would be pretty common 1 will be injured or suspended more the 50% of the time. Imagine the competition for a spot would be fierce

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
I think you should have 5 props on decent coin and therefore to a good standard. It would be pretty common 1 will be injured or suspended more the 50% of the time. Imagine the competition for a spot would be fierce
Probably only an option when you don't drop substantial coin on one prop .
There will be a prop budget in our teams working out of the salary cap .

Reactions: Defence

wrighty

I dream of the blackcaps winning the world cup
Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
We need more than 4 props in our squad. Blair, Burr and Papalii are all gone, who have shared the propping rotation with JTB and loaners this season. We found this season you can't rely on 4 props, depth is necessary.

If Paasi goes, Afoa won't be going anywhere. IMO they picked Paasi over Afoa, then that fell through, so Paasi got the shoulder tap.
Also that tom ale dude. He will either be in the development squad or 30. Either way they can play him as a depth guy if injuries strike.
My understanding is he is utility that can play prop or 2nd row.
Only 102kgs and 5 foot 11 though

And I am unclear of Frei. He is a prop but only nrl.com lists him as signed for next year.

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
1.AFB
2.Evans
3.JTB
4.Ah Mau
5.BMM

That's the Pack
Then you can play tohu or jazz through the middle too with Eli and Murch on the edges.
Just shift in Jazz and play Karl at 13 or shift in Tohu and play BMM on an edge.
Plenty of options.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
I was hoping that Frei would go. He’s not done much over last few years

Reactions: YeahNah 4020

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player