Player Adam Blair

I think this will happen and it will happen soon.

NRL: Brisbane Broncos grant Adam Blair permission to talk to rival clubs - Warriors favourites to sign Kiwis captain
4 Aug, 2017 1:03pm
Quick Read

TFHETLUF3JHGRGZYHNLSNEVNWI.jpg

Kiwis captain and Brisbane front-rower Adam Blair has been granted permission to talk to rival clubs. Photo / Photosport.
b91f5014-267c-469d-9035-f461aa888ff9.png

By: David Skipwith
Sports writer
david.skipwith@nzherald.co.nz@dskipwithNZH
Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has granted Adam Blair permission to negotiate with rival clubs with the Warriors favourites to sign the Kiwis captain.

The 31-year-old front-rower is under contract with the Broncos until the end of next season but has been linked to a move to the Warriors since May, while St George Illawarra are also keen on signing him.

The Whangarei-born forward is close friends with Warriors coach Stephen Kearney and the Auckland-based club is in the market for experienced big men to boost their forward stocks.

The Broncos are understood to be willing to let him go if he receives an offer of a long-term contract, with the Warriors reportedly prepared to sign him on a four-year deal.

"At the moment he's contracted to the Broncos for next year, but if he gets a release from them there's a good chance he may end up with us," said Warriors managing director Jim Doyle.

NewZealish

U20's Player
Feb 7, 2018
Perth
Everything about this is good timing.

- For himself he has played well this year. He can hold his head high.
- He is being selfless in forgoing another year of high pay. Giving the club an opportunity to look for another quality player. (Players will look at us as a club on the rise and after AFB signed others will seriously consider us)
- The club is doing the right thing keeping him around, I guarantee he is a big reason for the culture change at the club. He would have been a big stabilising influence during their COVID time.

I hope he is part of the conditioning team next year, I can’t remember a year he has played that he hasn’t turned up in good physical condition, and by all accounts is one of the best trainers. Don’t turn up fat or lazy.

I for one take my hat off to him for a very respectable career. Go well Adam.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Not many will compare to your success as an NRL player and as an international.
IMO one big disappointment for the Warriors and as a club pro nothing to compare to the likes of Kearney and Nikau.

I expected so much when he was signed and feel ripped off.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I hope he is part of the conditioning team next year, I can’t remember a year he has played that he hasn’t turned up in good physical condition, and by all accounts is one of the best trainers. Don’t turn up fat or lazy.
That is true...but like a broken record I remind youse all that Iro was every bit as professional and arguably way more effective on the field.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
Not many people can say they have played over 300 first grade games, and 50 tests for their country. He was well within his rights to take up his player option, but has decided to go the non-selfish route even if it is just gonna be payed off the cap with his new role. Still a respectable thing to know that his money is better served with securing a younger player to help the squad next season. All the best post footy Blairy, you're a true professional.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Thanks Adam for making the right decision.
I suppose thanks are in order to Greg Alexander for retiring on a soft option as well. The club owes Blair nothing but he had a good reputation at the Tigers for helping the young players in preparation so he may earn his keep yet.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Not my most favourite player and youd have to question how much value he bought here on the park, but i got plenty of respect for his career. You dont have that sort of longevity without being able to maintain consistent high standards.

Wont be mentioned in the same breath as our greatest Kiwi's - Rubes, Stacey, Benji etc.....but he played more games than all of them....not a bad footnote to have in your c.v.

Should bring value to any off field role the Warriors use him in.

the borg

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
All the best Adam Blair ... in some ways you came here to be put out to pasture... having said that...
Its more than his tenure for the Warriors, its about his whole career, a GF ring, World cup medal and other accolades so us as Worryerz fans should look beyond his stint as a warrior and appreciate what hes done with other clubs as well as the kiwis. So as far as I'm concerned thanks for your contribution and all the best in whatever venture you choose to do..

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings