General A Star is Born

edguy_old

Guest
Misi Taulapapa.............................. had a blinder , like he had been playing first grade for years .... has great pace , his D was good , he stopped one try ... sorry to all the skinny fans , but hes just warming
manu s seat till he comes back ...Misi is here to stay .
something we have been lacking since justin murphy and henri left ..REAL PACE on the wing ....
 

edguy_old

Guest
22.04.06
By Peter Jessup


Misi Taulapapa is slightly older than your average NRL debutant.

At 24, he's been playing league for only three years.

"They've been three good years," he smiles, reflecting on his rapid elevation through the grades after a cousin invited the former Waitemata rugby player to watch a training session.

Taulapapa was an Auckland under-21 rugby rep and had been playing rugby for money in Ireland, but got hooked on league during a trip home. The training was harder and so was the physical contact, and he liked that.

He played one reserve-grade game for Richmond, went straight up to the Fox Memorial team and after one good appearance was selected by the Brothers coach, Bernie Perenara, for the Bartercard Cup. By the end of 2004 he had made the New Zealand A side and from there the Warriors.

Taulapapa said Perenara and Brothers captain Ricky Henry taught him a lot. He tried to model his play on that of Brent Webb, but Webb was a unique talent and it wasn't easy.

There was no way Taulapapa expected to get an NRL chance this quickly. He said he "didn't really watch" the game in Canberra where Auckland Lions teammate Patrick Ah Van suffered a tear in a shoulder joint, the injury that gave him the opportunity.

He is the third left wing used this year (Ah Van had replaced Manu Vatuvei, who has a hamstring tear).

In rugby Taulapapa was a second five-eighths, wing or fullback but all his league experience is on the flank, though usually the right.

With a 40m speed of 3.7s, he should have no problem scooting away from the chasers if given the ball with space.
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
The interesting part that he's 24 years only...is whats most intreging. Because some players(regardless of where they play) are either pluked at too young an age (some do shine straight away thou) or sometimes when their best years are behind them.
So..excuse the wording he was just right for the picking! haha. But we'll see how he goes because remember it was a game he had against South Sydney. And I wouldn't say he was totally tested either. Unlike if he played against the Knights (with Joey. They were a disgrace tonight), Broncos, Penrith...Eels...etc if you get me drit. I'm not saying this guy isn't good he sure as heck is lets not doubt that but until you're up against a mightly good side don't get too ahead of yourself.
 

Jesbass_old

Guest
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
The interesting part that he's 24 years only...is whats most intreging. Because some players(regardless of where they play) are either pluked at too young an age (some do shine straight away thou) or sometimes when their best years are behind them.
So..excuse the wording he was just right for the picking! haha. But we'll see how he goes because remember it was a game he had against South Sydney. And I wouldn't say he was totally tested either. Unlike if he played against the Knights (with Joey. They were a disgrace tonight), Broncos, Penrith...Eels...etc if you get me drit. I'm not saying this guy isn't good he sure as heck is lets not doubt that but until you're up against a mightly good side don't get too ahead of yourself.

Skinny, although we ended up blowing the Rabbitohs off the park, they're not a bad team. They've held their own agains the Roosters, Sharks and Bulldogs, only to fade towards the end. I think Taulapapa's debut was a strong one, and he deserves all the accolades he is being given. ;)
 

playdaball_old

Guest
The crowd last night wanted him to get the ball. I'd love to see him playing on the LHS outside of Toopi and Ropati.
 

JonB_old

Guest
you are right Playdaball. Bryne is usualy outside Martin, and I would rather of have the attacking winger in this case Talapapa outside the attacking side.
 

PB_old

Guest
playdaball said:
The crowd last night wanted him to get the ball. I'd love to see him playing on the LHS outside of Toopi and Ropati.

Nah. Pick him on the side he favours, RHS. Vatuvei seems to prefer the left so that will work out just fine.

Clinton will give him the ball on the left? Insert Tui ad for that one here.
 

Trotbags_old

Guest
What a debut! He looked so relaxed - especially under the high balls that the Rabbits threw at him. And he ran hard! And he protected his wing! Where has he been hiding?

Toddy seems to have lost a bit of confidence. He doesn't have the presence he had last season. For now I would run with Manu on one wing and Misi on the other.
 

-Dr.J-_old

Guest
Fark he went well. He's exciting to watch. That ball return straight at the prop forcing the penalty was mean.
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
Jesbass said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
The interesting part that he's 24 years only...is whats most intreging. Because some players(regardless of where they play) are either pluked at too young an age (some do shine straight away thou) or sometimes when their best years are behind them.
So..excuse the wording he was just right for the picking! haha. But we'll see how he goes because remember it was a game he had against South Sydney. And I wouldn't say he was totally tested either. Unlike if he played against the Knights (with Joey. They were a disgrace tonight), Broncos, Penrith...Eels...etc if you get me drit. I'm not saying this guy isn't good he sure as heck is lets not doubt that but until you're up against a mightly good side don't get too ahead of yourself.

Skinny, although we ended up blowing the Rabbitohs off the park, they're not a bad team. They've held their own agains the Roosters, Sharks and Bulldogs, only to fade towards the end. I think Taulapapa's debut was a strong one, and he deserves all the accolades he is being given. ;)

Well yeah of course he deserves the brilliant accoldates. I agree, even I was impressed. What I'm saying thou is that its one game, and sometimes in your first game you either make an impression or you don't. And also I wasn't trying to say South Sydney were totally crap but lets face it they weren't brilliant either. A team that starts badly and finishes even worse not really puts them high on the list of unbeatables does it?
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
JonB said:
you are right Playdaball. Bryne is usualy outside Martin, and I would rather of have the attacking winger in this case Talapapa outside the attacking side.

MM now that's a very mouth watering idea! See 'em run about the place and attacking at every oppertunity...a big:
"Yes please!" hehe
 

sebastian_old

Guest
"calling todd byrne, calling todd byrne, mr byrne sir your replacement has arrived please enjoy the rest of your career"
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
sebastian said:
"calling todd byrne, calling todd byrne, mr byrne sir your replacement has arrived please enjoy the rest of your career"

ROFL. **thinks** maybe I should change my user name again. Time to move on! **evil smirk**
 

JonB_old

Guest
Edguy, what qualitys do you see in Misi that make him a star? His best attacking weapon is his speed i haven't seen him go up for a high ball, but just curious.
Our Last warriors speedster Justin Murphy wasn't overly effective on attack, he wasn't much for beating tacklers what do you see different here?
 

AmeriKiwi_old

Guest
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
sebastian said:
"calling todd byrne, calling todd byrne, mr byrne sir your replacement has arrived please enjoy the rest of your career"

ROFL. **thinks** maybe I should change my user name again. Time to move on! **evil smirk**

NotSoSkinny_Ravs86?
 

Similar threads

Replies
3
Views
607
sebastian_old
Replies
23
Views
2K
Skinny_Ravs82
Replies
53
Views
3K
Kav_old
Replies
21
Views
2K
Brother Fesol_old
Replies
63
Views
5K
Fazz_old