General 58 nil

Reaction score

Northern_Union

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/6638173/Football-team-suffer-58-0-defeat

A hiding!

An amateur football team in England has scored 58 unanswered goals to hand their local rivals the biggest ever defeat in British football history.
Wheel Power FC scored 20 goals in the first half and 38 in the second to romp to a 58-0 victory over Nova 2010 FC in the town of Torquay, surpassing the previous record of 55-0.
Robbie Bowker scored 18 of Power FC's goals, while his brother Stuart also made it into double figures with 10.
Nova had been forced to call up four extras at the last minute in order to field the minimum nine players and the game was effectively over after the first five minutes, with Power FC racing to a 5-0 lead.
The world record for the highest scoreline in football is held by Madagascan team AS Adema, who beat Stade Olympique de L'Emyrne 149-0 in 2002.
However, no goals were actually scored by AS Adema, with Stade Olympique scoring 149 own-goals in protest over a refereeing decision that had cost them their previous game.
Australia hold the international scoring record, defeating American Samoa 31-0 in 2001.

Reaction score

Fazz_old

**** me. That's a crazy score in League, let alone soccer.

Reaction score

BringBackRovelli_old

A goal every other minute, the other team mustn't have had a goalie huhh.

That other one is funny, 149 own goals in a game, they had to really hurry with the restarts to get there.

Reaction score

Buck777_old

The blackcaps play soccer?

Reaction score

Northern_Union

Inu was in goal;)

Reaction score

Raurimu Massive_old

**Stade Olympique scoring 149 own-goals in protest over a refereeing decision that had cost them their previous game.**

That is some of the most awesome sports news I think I've ever heard. Damn that is just pure gold.

Reaction score

Northern_Union

I wonder if the Warriors should do something similar if the BOD keeps going against us?;)

Reaction score

mrblonde_old

I've always reckoned first rules I'd implement if I ran the IRLF were the own-try, the own-penalty and the own-fieldgoal.

Own-try is obviously easiest to achieve - it's an own try if a defending player with the ball runs more than, say, 5m backwards (facing or backing into) into his own in goal.

Reaction score

mrblonde_old

I wonder if the Warriors should do something similar if the BOD keeps going against us?;)
Nope. The ref would ask the video ref who'd rule against an own-try scored by the Warriors out of habit - it's Warriors try therefore no try! :p

Reaction score

Northern_Union

Defensive bomb is always a good and unexpected option.

Reaction score

fanrrior_old

Lol, I read the thread title and thought this can't be soccer and then shazzam.

Reaction score

miket12_old

Defensive bomb is always a good and unexpected option.
I've always wondered why a team doesn't try for a 40/20 when the FB is locking a scrum and there no players in place to prevent it.

Reaction score

fanrrior_old

I've always wondered why a team doesn't try for a 40/20 when the FB is locking a scrum and there no players in place to prevent it.
Benji might of done that at one stage of his career

Reaction score

mrblonde_old

fanrrior maybe right here.

But I think the very minute the 40/20 was introduced - which was, IIRC, the ARL competition in 1997 - you can bet someone said "Well, hang on, what happens in a scrum situation?". Loooong pass to fullback - or someone with a big boot....BAMM. 40/20.

If someone's done that, it would only have ever happened once or twice. Surely....

Top Bottom