General 50 Best and Worst Buys in NRL History

Miket12

Miket12

Joel Moon has been named 41 out of the worst ever Top 50 Worst NRL buys:

Upload 2016 12 29 14 27 43

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/50-worst-buys-nrl-history-50-41/

They've only covered 39-50 so there's sure to be some others added to the list by time they hit #1.

• Haha
Reactions: mt.wellington
Miket12

Miket12

A few other former Warriors have been named when they signed for other clubs in the worst buy list:

Upload 2016 12 29 14 31 9

Upload 2016 12 29 14 31 50

Upload 2016 12 29 14 34 18

Miket12

Miket12

On the other side, here's the former Warriors who have moved on and are in the Best Buys categories:

Upload 2016 12 29 14 39 29

And again:

Upload 2016 12 29 14 41 19

Upload 2016 12 29 14 42 23

The two best Buys they consider we have made are:

Upload 2016 12 29 14 46 9

Upload 2016 12 29 14 46 46

Reactions: bruce
snake77

snake77

Good to see Galuvao getting on the best signing list after how things worked out for him at Souths. His signing from the Warriors to the Panthers also worked out well.

Good to see some of our guys turning to duds somewhere else. Cruel I know but it does mean it's not just our club it happens to. We also had a lot of guys come good when arriving here which is something we often forget with difficulties signing players or our signings having a bad run of form when they arrive here.

Motu Tony had Bennett calling him to join the Broncos. It started off with a lot of promise the problem for him was Karmichael Hunt debuted and that was pretty much the end of Tony getting a look in as far as being the first choice fullback. He went on to have a long career in the UK and also managed to get a career for himself off the field over there.

Moon went on to have a pretty good career in the UK. I'm not 100% sure on the stats but I'm pretty sure he won a few premierships and the Challenge Cup with Leeds.

Miket12

Miket12

Joel Moon wasn't the worst NRL buy we had, there were much worse than him, Todd Lowrie and Dane Nielsen for starters.
No mention of Lowrie or Nielsen yet in the worst buys list but at # 26 we have:

Upload 2016 12 30 16 3 48

Followed closely by # 25:

Upload 2016 12 30 16 4 37

snake77

snake77

I thought Berrigan did pretty well and was surprised when they didn't renew his contract. I think he was too. Denan Kemp definitely was a dud.
I agree I wouldn't put Berrigan down as a dud. Did he set the world on fire when he was here? no but he did what he was signed for which was to provide some experience.

Berrigan is a bit unique though as his two main positions he played during his career are so vastly different he was either a centre or dummy half. Usually a player is a fullback/winger or winger/fullback.

I can't recall what position we actually signed him to play. It might have just been the media who assumed he would be at dummy half or coming off the bench when they named their potential teams for 2011. We moved him around a bit until we found what worked best for us.

We picked him up late in the off season and he played 19 games and was still in contention for a place in the Grand Final side but the debate was between bringing him back or Inu who provided a freak play to get us into a Grand Final. Definitely not a poor signing, his experience like the experience that walked out the following season was sorely missed to the point we have been signing experience to help develop guys, basically playing catch up.

His time at Canberra was probably poorer than his time here.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
I agree I wouldn't put Berrigan down as a dud. Did he set the world on fire when he was here? no but he did what he was signed for which was to provide some experience.

Berrigan is a bit unique though as his two main positions he played during his career are so vastly different he was either a centre or dummy half. Usually a player is a fullback/winger or winger/fullback.

I can't recall what position we actually signed him to play. It might have just been the media who assumed he would be at dummy half or coming off the bench when they named their potential teams for 2011. We moved him around a bit until we found what worked best for us.

We picked him up late in the off season and he played 19 games and was still in contention for a place in the Grand Final side but the debate was between bringing him back or Inu who provided a freak play to get us into a Grand Final. Definitely not a poor signing, his experience like the experience that walked out the following season was sorely missed to the point we have been signing experience to help develop guys, basically playing catch up.

His time at Canberra was probably poorer than his time here.
He was getting past his use by date, but he wasn't expensive either.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Interesting how many of those players are Eels. As for Dane Neilsen I would have put him higher up the list of bad buys.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Interesting to ponder who were bad buys and who were just unable to perform within the broken toy that was/is the Warriors.

Chchwarrior

Sam Tompkins will be in top 5. I don't think he should be though. Surely watmough to parra will be number 1

Reactions: Weno
bruce

bruce

Contributor
in the same article they have the best veterans, including Simon Mannering:

Simon Mannering (Warriors)

nrlp-mannering.jpg

"He may no longer be the captain at the Warriors but Mannering is still very much the heart and soul of that team.

The 30-year-old veteran will go down as one of the Warriors greatest ever players and his efforts on the field are testament to the man he is. In 2016 he finished fourth in most tackles in the NRL – that’s despite playing just 22 games.

He has remained a mainstay for both club and country, and with his performances remaining as consistent as ever there’s no reason that will change in the foreseeable future."

That stat is a testament to what is wrong with the Warriors. They cannot tackle for shite, that is why Mannering has to make all those tackles. If that doesn't change they are not going anywhere. To be honest it makes my blood boil that they can let him smash his body around like that just to let some pussies take it easy. I went close to the touch line to watch a game last year, the reserves were tackling like the other team had lice FFS.

diehard

in the same article they have the best veterans, including Simon Mannering:

Simon Mannering (Warriors)

nrlp-mannering.jpg

"He may no longer be the captain at the Warriors but Mannering is still very much the heart and soul of that team.

The 30-year-old veteran will go down as one of the Warriors greatest ever players and his efforts on the field are testament to the man he is. In 2016 he finished fourth in most tackles in the NRL – that’s despite playing just 22 games.

He has remained a mainstay for both club and country, and with his performances remaining as consistent as ever there’s no reason that will change in the foreseeable future."

That stat is a testament to what is wrong with the Warriors. They cannot tackle for shite, that is why Mannering has to make all those tackles. If that doesn't change they are not going anywhere. To be honest it makes my blood boil that they can let him smash his body around like that just to let some pussies take it easy. I went close to the touch line to watch a game last year, the reserves were tackling like the other team had lice FFS.
Do you think they don't know how to tackle, or they don't want to?

Dunedin warrior

Tackling wasn't really our problem last year I think only 3 teams missed less tackles. It was more the slow line speed and our players inability make good defensive reads that was the problem.

Sandow would be up there in the worst buy stakes - long contract big money and disclipline problems.

diehard

Tackling wasn't really our problem last year I think only 3 teams missed less tackles. It was more the slow line speed and our players inability make good defensive reads that was the problem.

Sandow would be up there in the worst buy stakes - long contract big money and disclipline problems.
Defensive reads is a skill issue. Slow line speed is a fitness and motivation issue.