Recruitment 2023/2024 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Juno

Okay what you're now describing sounds like disciplinary action. 'Refusing to get with the programme' and 'willfully not trying'. Even then that’s almost impossible grounds to argue. I’m sure every club would argue their most overpaid player isn’t trying.

That's very different to failing some fitness KPI's which sounds more likely from what George said in that interview. I've never seen that alone as grounds to be able to terminate a contract with nil financial repercussions.

But coming from someone who's seen a lot of player contracts through club audits, we can just agree to disagree.
I don"t disagree with you. It's not enough for releasing a player unless there's an underlying issue. Also have no idea if he was moved on simply for that - he certainly could make a claim for payout of his contract if he was. Plus we don't know if he received any disciplinary action for anything & if he did whether he tried to comply or didn't. The little some have said is the reason doesn't fit the club's move on the face of it. But I would also expect that an organization would have to have good cause or pay up.

Noitall

Noitall

327126473_573262367684541_6663083941334903721_n.jpg

Blake Lawrie must have been number 7 since he re signed yesterday.

Reactions: Defence
Toookey

Toookey

327126473_573262367684541_6663083941334903721_n.jpg

Blake Lawrie must have been number 7 since he re signed yesterday.

That list is lame. JWH isn't worth investing in at that age, same as Jordan McLean. I don't think Flegler warrants the money he's asking for.

Then there's very average names in Guler, King and Jenson.

If that's all that on offer, I would be looking at Jenson for 250-300k and see if we can snag Luke Thompson on $600k, but I appreciate it looks like we're having to pay overs to get players here at the moment so we will likely pay overs.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, but I wish management would have asked for Jenson when negotiating with Broncs about returning Walsh last year :(

Ref

Ref

No traction on signing a prop

I would seriously sign Kane Evans at this point for minimum wage.
Come back Kane all is forgiven.

Kane Evans more often than not when tackled fell forward onto his front and played the ball quickly.
He could put a shot on.
However lateral movement and discipline were not his friends.
Some players just don’t improve their discipline and if they are high profile they don’t get punished severely enough.
Evans “served longer time” for offences way less harmful than the likes of JWH, Latrell, NAS committed.
So typical for the NRL to say we are clamping down on foul play by sentencing a journeyman to a long spell for f***all and giving the elite players f*** all for far worse offences.

Wrighty

Wrighty

Kane Evans more often than not when tackled fell forward onto his front and played the ball quickly.
He could put a shot on.
However lateral movement and discipline were not his friends.
Some players just don’t improve their discipline and if they are high profile they don’t get punished severely enough.
Evans “served longer time” for offences way less harmful than the likes of JWH, Latrell, NAS committed.
So typical for the NRL to say we are clamping down on foul play by sentencing a journeyman to a long spell for f***all and giving the elite players f*** all for far worse offences.
Ref...thank you for this balanced post.

Someone posted the top ten props available. I don't think we can sign any of them. We need to pivot to plan B. We can't get a starting prop so how about a bench prop roughly as good as Afoa.
It doesn't have to be Kane Evans. What about bringing Paasi back? I hear he is playing well in the super league.
And if not Kane and Paasi then a current NRL player who is a 3rd stringer for his team.

Reactions: J_P
AlexM

AlexM

Someone posted the top ten props available. I don't think we can sign any of them. We need to pivot to plan B. We can't get a starting prop so how about a bench prop roughly as good as Afoa.
It doesn't have to be Kane Evans. What about bringing Paasi back? I hear he is playing well in the super league.
And if not Kane and Paasi then a current NRL player who is a 3rd stringer for his team.
Nah bring back Kane, let's start a petition , Sign some K#$%

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Someone posted the top ten props available. I don't think we can sign any of them
That top 10 list is useless. As stated in the article by David Long:

However, fans shouldn’t expect them to sign a marquee type player, but someone who could be relied on to do a good job in the minutes they get.
We need to set our sights much lower.

Save the heartache people and don't pray for a Ferrari. Maybe not even a Suzuki. Think of a horse and cart...

Noitall

Noitall

Feel like the bottom 3 on that list are realistic and wouldn’t cost moonbeams, Guler has been spoken of on here before as someone useful. Be interesting what Thompson is worth after his contract at the bulldogs, certainly won’t be anything like what he’s on currently. Wouldn’t surprise me to end up with Josh Kerr who was the initial rumour.

snake77

snake77

Save the heartache people and don't pray for a Ferrari. Maybe not even a Suzuki. Think of a horse and cart...
The article about the two releases has someone on the lower tier who can get a job done when needed. That is all I'm expecting now

Unless someone releases a player due to cap pressure I'd expect someone who has played a few first grade games and looking for an opportunity. The time has passed for a decent signing in my opinion. Also need to be realistic. We have signed a quite a few guys already. A lot will be featuring in first grade. There wouldn't be a lot of cap space left.

Need to be realistic. We need to get guys to change countries, cap space will be tight, late in the off season. We tend to speculate about big signings, they can't all be superstars or top tier.

Wrighty

Wrighty

Feel like the bottom 3 on that list are realistic and wouldn’t cost moonbeams, Guler has been spoken of on here before as someone useful. Be interesting what Thompson is worth after his contract at the bulldogs, certainly won’t be anything like what he’s on currently. Wouldn’t surprise me to end up with Josh Kerr who was the initial rumour.
By now we would have tried all those bottom three and Josh Kerr, All would have said no.

Noitall

Noitall

By now we would have tried all those bottom three and Josh Kerr, All would have said no.
There’s constant deals going on and changes can happen quick. David Nofoaluma is involved in trade and won’t play for the tigers in 2023 apparently, not sure who else is involved in that trade but that could open other scenarios. With you being so keen on Kane Evans, I’m surprised you haven’t suggested his old teammate Dylan Napa who was released from super league.