Recruitment 2023/2024 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Wrighty

Wrighty

I’d say Centre is our weakest spot. It’ll be Pompey’s last year with the club. Berry if he doesn’t perform this year then surely he will be given the option to explore. Walker already confirmed to be our 14. Willame will see how he goes and Vaillea is still young but the most promising of them all.

I’d be throwing the cheque book to get a gun center like Herbie Farnworth, Stephen Crichton, Will Penisini. Or even Let’s Bring Hiku home.
You made my case for me.
Yes centre is our weakest spot. Despite that Williame is ranked 4th. Pointless signing.
The only argument I have heard in favour of him was a senior member of this site said he would Mentor and be a stalwart for the reserve grade side

Noitall

Noitall

I’d say Centre is our weakest spot. It’ll be Pompey’s last year with the club. Berry if he doesn’t perform this year then surely he will be given the option to explore. Walker already confirmed to be our 14. Willame will see how he goes and Vaillea is still young but the most promising of them all.

I’d be throwing the cheque book to get a gun center like Herbie Farnworth, Stephen Crichton, Will Penisini. Or even Let’s Bring Hiku home.
I think centre was our weakest spot last season, I think prop will be next season.

Wrighty

Wrighty

“I see Dylan as that perfect No. 14,” Webster told The Daily Telegraph earlier in the week.

“He can play anywhere at a high level. If we have injuries he may play centre one week but if everyone is fit and healthy he will be our bench utility."

Wrighty

Wrighty

I also question why we are playing Walker at 14 when we lack options at centre,
Maybe Walker at 14 means Niukore at centre,

Reactions: Forbesgp

Waipiro

When Montoya joined he was the third ranked wing behind Ken and Fusitua
Our current centre depth might be

1) Vaillea
2) Pompey
3) Walker
4) Williame
5) Berry
And Niuokore can also play centres
We have centre and back row options coming out of ears and didn't need Williame his acquisition is pointless unless they really rate him and plan on starting him game one
Suppose it depends what they have paid for him. If you havent used much cap and secured a player with almost 50 games of NRL experience. Has played centre, wing and 2nd row. Looks to defend well and strong with ball in hand.
He looks an upgrade on Pompey and adds depth when you have 2 young centres as primary centre options.

Wrighty

Wrighty

Suppose it depends what they have paid for him. If you havent used much cap and secured a player with almost 50 games of NRL experience. Has played centre, wing and 2nd row. Looks to defend well and strong with ball in hand.
He looks an upgrade on Pompey and adds depth when you have 2 young centres as primary centre options.
Have you or anyone eise seen a bit of him play and can give a report ?

Waipiro

Have you or anyone eise seen a bit of him play and can give a report ?
Yeah a bit of superleague stuff. Good strong defender, runs a nice line and breaks tackles. He is pretty good at feeding his winger too. I seem to recall he played some fullback as well at u20s level. At the end of the day though I think if Vailea stays fit hes our guy for the future and maybe Williame is there to help sure things up defensively along with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad at the back.

Might be the next Toopi/Carlaw combo?

Noitall

Noitall

I put this in the general warriors thread but I think it’s a good insight also into the Williame signing. A solid player likely cheap that could potentially fill the gap until our young centres with real potential stake their claim. I think this could be another astute signing for us much like Montoya has been. When we moved away from Aitken at centre it was obvious we wanted feeding centres as the ball stopped at Aitken. I hope Williame can inspire Pompey also and push him, in his contract year it’s the last throw of the dice and there’s a talented player in there.

Worried2Death

Worried2Death

Not convinced he's an upgrade on Pomps yet, seems more versatile though, be interesting to see what he adds next year if he gets a run, hope we're pleasantly surprised.

geepee

end of the day berry and villi can do the job, they need the believe of the team, needs senior players to come around them, gotta remember half these rugby converts got shoved straight into top grade

warriors need to step it up for these guys and get them the required experience they need , talking to some the kids that came through the phins side, they were taught so much, this i think will fall by the wayside as the coaches we have are inexperienced and so are the coaches and the people in the jnr sides

Tragic

Tragic

Contributor
Wright, I don't think he is 4th option, he is tied for 2nd, Dylan is gonna be on the bench so will only be a centre if there are injuries.

1. Viliame
2. Pompey/Williame
3. Berry

I can see Berry leapfrogging them both if he gets a chance, I can also see him bombing out, will depend who we put around him. Pompey just doesn't seem to be able to go to the next level, 2023 is his make or break year, in a good team he would be backup material.
So going by your analogy that Montoya was a good buy because he is 2nd best wing, Willi is a good buy too.
On a side note Viliame And Williame at centres is going to send blocker into a tailspin.

Toookey

Toookey

Two Centre's that Andrew Webster coached in U20's are Delouise Hoeter (28) & Marion Seve (27). Both are under contract until 2024 but are realistically just back ups at their clubs. Would either improve our roster? If Pompey doesn't perform this year would they be worth a conversation with or is that Ali Leiataua's spot from 2023?

Surely if we're keeping Berry and Vailea, the idea would be that they're both starting rd1 2024? I know you still need other players but between Williame, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and maybe Niukore/Walker I think we have enough to cover us.

If Berry isn't kicking on by half way through 2023 I think we'll have to look at a plan B.

Whats the deal with Ali Leiataua? Is he quite promising? When can we hope to have him pushing for a regular first grade spot? Guessing a few years at least