General 2022 Warriors vs Storm TRIAL GAME 1

It would’ve been 5th tackle when Ratuva made his run had he stayed in field. The issue I have is the opposition get a tap restart back in centre field which is an obvious advantage over having to work the ball out from a corner which is of course a large reason why kicks are made to the corner on the 5th and last.
Do you more experienced blokes agree with me though it was an exhilarating moment. He pinned his ears back and tried to score. Worth the risk ? Maybe not for the reasons you and Matuinz are saying but he sure as hell stepped on the gas and it was an exciting play.

Do you more experienced blokes agree with me though it was an exhilarating moment. He pinned his ears back and tried to score. Worth the risk ? Maybe not for the reasons you and Matuinz are saying but he sure as hell stepped on the gas and it was an exciting play.
For me it’s circumstantial i.e questioning the state of the game etc. It’s also worthwhile putting these things in there proper context too. Was his play as detrimental as a fumble 10m out from our line? potentially not.

Not throwing any shade on Ratuva by the way, anyone who watched his couple of games in the QCup last season could see he’s a work in progress. In future he’ll learn to pick his moments better, he has plenty of gas for a bloke his size and could be a weapon for us on the end of those Walsh cut out balls.

Agree it was an exciting play and we wouldn‘t be having this conversation if he managed to brush the last defender. It’s Small margins sometimes.

Not throwing any shade on Ratuva by the way, anyone who watched his couple of games in the QCup last season could see he’s a work in progress. In future he’ll learn to pick his moments better, he has plenty of gas for a bloke his size and could be a weapon for us on the end of those Walsh cut out balls.

Agree it was an exciting play and we wouldn‘t be having this conversation if he managed to brush the last defender. It’s Small margins sometimes.
Anyone who watched his QCup games last year will know how terrible he was. Like shockingly bad..

This game was a massive improvement for him. I thought he made some good tackles.

Still probably another two years away for mine and definitely 5th in the pecking order.

Yep, I think Jazz has definitely cemented the 13 position for the start of the season - he was everywhere!! I am slowly changing my mind about Afoa as he looks fitter and less one dimensional. Clearly Berry and Montoya have cemented a good partnership as you can trust their positioning and hands! I would still like to see Aitken move to right center to sure up the defense on that side which will allow Katoa to start in back row which I think is important. Also with Aitken on the right side with Johnson and Katoa any defensive weaknesses will also be fixed to a greater extend than not. Until the Maori game never saw Chanel Harris-Tavita moving to fullback as an option but could work as Chanel Harris-Tavita is brave and a great link. However, I am leaning to Kodi starting at number 6 as he is a good fooballer even his defense seemed improved yesterday...Taylor looks still a bit injury prone! Only a trial but positive start to season!
Will see what Curren has to say re#13

With our depth in the back row at the moment it seems hard to see where they all fit with Niukore turning up next year. For the amount of the contract he’s definitely a starter but could this be Tohu Harris last season?

Reactions: Motota
I thought the squad looked fit and better prepared than usual
Thanks no doubt to Balin Cupples (Sp?)
Don't ever underestimate the value of the conditioning staff, in fact every team is only good as its weakest link and there are so many moving parts.
Look at American football there is probably as many support staff as there are players and they are dealing with elite athletes but only one team wins the competition each year.
So keeping that in context you may not like the storm but their system is to be envied with their relentless pursuit of excellence. How a very average first grade coach is an excellent assistant coach, and how many stars that shine under their system are just above average in other systems.
Back to the Warriors we are never going to get the cream of the crop in every support role but it looks as if we maybe maximizing our potential in some areas. Brown has been around made a lot of mistakes but he must have learned a lot on the way.
Providing he gets over his perpetual experimenting and habitual tinkering with team selection we could kick on.
It could be argued we now have genuine debth in some positions that may course some selection dilemmas

With our depth in the back row at the moment it seems hard to see where they all fit with Niukore turning up next year. For the amount of the contract he’s definitely a starter but could this be Tohu Harris last season?
Definitely not. He has just been handed the captaincy and has high quality output whenever he is on the park. He is flexible enough to play in the middle or on an edge. For instance if Katoa and Niukore were on an edge and Curran at 13, Tohu Harris could still punch out quality metres and tackles in the front row.

Look at the Panthers with their forward depth. You had 4 Origin quality backrowers in Kikau, Martin, Yeo and Capewell. JFH moved into the front row and was dominant and played big minutes.

There is also no guarantee of Lodge sticking around so salary cap wise you would imagine with the blend of young & old that things are pretty well balanced

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Might be Euan Aitken's last season next year though, if he's mostly a backrower this year and we have another backrower joining with Curran (who the coaches seem to love) and Katoa in the mix then he might be on the way out.

Reactions: Yomama and Noitall

Stalefish540

Contributor
Think it was Dunedin with those sub Zero jerseys? Think it was the coming of the messiah Sam Tomkins who was gonna lead us to glory? But you’re right pre season doesn’t mean much -HOWEVER (setting myself up to be let down I know) the general shape and attitude did seem better than it has been in a long time
From memory the sub zero was for nines and then round 1 at Eden Park 2013-2015 era somewhere no?

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
From memory the sub zero was for nines and then round 1 at Eden Park 2013-2015 era somewhere no?
Looked it up turns out we played broncos in Dunedin 2 years in a row 2013 and 2014.
2013 was a narrow win wearing the sub zero
D7DE12CF-5107-4926-98A1-3485699B7F6A.jpeg
2014 was the 46-4 hiding wearing this monstrosity
0731B605-8A76-45FC-9FAE-6008F969BF33.jpeg

I'd say murchie might be gone..
I'd lik to keep Siro as he has a high ceiling
Ben Murdoch-Masila is quality but not a starter. Maybe a benchie.
Currans locked in with Harris and Katoa and they're coincidentally the best ones.
Aiken is a handy player and I'd like him to hang around too.
Niukore to upgrade Murchie is pretty huge , unless lodge goes.
100% try keep Aitken, his ability to play multiple positions is invaluable, especially this year. He’s solid at centre & edge, and that value is definitely Enough to warrant a contract extension. Murchie has a couple of ok games, still could surprise us. I remember when everyone was wondering why we signed Curren, and he’s turned into an absolute weapon.

Reactions: matiunz