General 2022 Warriors vs Storm TRIAL GAME 1

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Pene is a Beast.

Agree with the plaudits.

Having him and Bunty playing quite well allows us to split Lodge and Addin Fonua-Blake.

Very promising little stint from the small prop Garrett Smith as well.

Jazz has been such a frustrating player, we saw him make no errors and do nothing stupid and he ends up the best forward on the feild.

Keep it going Jazz. I noticed when Jazz just held onto a random offload from Lodge....I wanted to shout "See Jazz? NAH...SEE I told you to put it away"..

You gotta laugh.

The Fijian kid was all at sea, he is like the first black player a NZ basketball franchise signs....can be totally shit house and no one cares...they're just waiting for a power Dunk.

Looks two years away from Fg. His wing looked like the D line had been chopped off....there was no edge...it just ended at center three quarter....dude has zero clue.
Ratuva reminded me of that random guy who’d never played before but turns up on game day- you take one look at him and he looks like he has the goods so you chuck him on the wing to see how he goes.
Looks like he’s got the natural ability but really needs to learn his positioning and surroundings on and off the ball

Looks two years away from Fg. His wing looked like the D line had been chopped off....there was no edge...it just ended at center three quarter....dude has zero clue.
The pectoral injury really hampered Ratuva's progress last year. It's a shame he only got a couple of token games for the Dolphins at the end of the season when he wasn't match ready. But another 7-8 games for the Dolphins to begin this season and he may improve steadily.

He's probably got a lot of work ahead before he comes into the equation with us already having Pompey and Kosi as back ups to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Montoya, but I'm sure he is going to push for a spot in time and it may prove to be be be sooner rather than later.

Just need to look at Rocco Berry who had a pre-season game to forget last year but improved steadily after that and is likely going to be a starter all of this season.

Is Marcelo Montoya the next Cult Hero? Turns up fit and firing for the first trial after a cracker first season with the club. He is locked in for the season (Touch 🪵).
Hes always been a good player- i think he's one of those guys who made a couple of high profile errors (lost the dogs a game a couple of years back with some handling errors) then the public never forget it.
Hunts always gonna be the guy who dropped that kick off and logan swann the greedy guts who through the dummy in that semi.
I really like the look of that berry- Montoya combo.

Is Marcelo Montoya the next Cult Hero? Turns up fit and firing for the first trial after a cracker first season with the club. He is locked in for the season (Touch 🪵).
Reminds me a lot of Jason Nightgale. There is an awkwardness to his running gait.

But he goes as hard as he can and he's very smart off the ball....brilliant at reading attacking kicks and he fights for loose ball better than anyone.

Nice no frills finisher like Nightingale....and he gets his hit up meters.

One of my favorites, I just love the way he goes at everything like a nutter.

Hes always been a good player- i think he's one of those guys who made a couple of high profile errors (lost the dogs a game a couple of years back with some handling errors) then the public never forget it.
Hunts always gonna be the guy who dropped that kick off and logan swann the greedy guts who through the dummy in that semi.
I really like the look of that berry- Montoya combo.
Hopefully for Patrick Herbert he does something positively memorable so can get off that list.
You could just about say that Brett Hodgson and Jamie Soward are best remembered for being rag dolled.

The pectoral injury really hampered Ratuva's progress last year. It's a shame he only got a couple of token games for the Dolphins at the end of the season when he wasn't match ready. But another 7-8 games for the Dolphins to begin this season and he may improve steadily.

He's probably got a lot of work ahead before he comes into the equation with us already having Pompey and Kosi as back ups to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Montoya, but I'm sure he is going to push for a spot in time and it may prove to be be be sooner rather than later.

Just need to look at Rocco Berry who had a pre-season game to forget last year but improved steadily after that and is likely going to be a starter all of this season.
Remember Berry was written off by a lot of people last year after that trial. I can understand being nervous when he was named to debut but there is also a lot of football in between. Hopefully another game this week and then some consistent week to week football and next time we see Ratuva in first grade he's closer to a complete product.

I used to think Pompey was terrible and couldn't understand what the coaching staff saw in him. 2020 when we were short of players and he got some consistent game time he started to look a lot better. Last year he had some good moments as well. Now I'm not dreading him being named in the side.

Curran is another one that wasn't in favour. I thought he had some attributes like hole running that might be useful. But then he got overweight and unfit. He trained hard and turned things around.

Point being players change or improve.

After sleeping on all the options. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak should play fullback and Chanel to Half to partner Shaun Johnson.
And Ratuva on wing for the first two games. Defensively he may have been wanting but offensively he is already the best wing in the club despite having never played a game.
I made up my mind he is ready when he was given half a chance and he pinned his ears back and tried to burn the fullback on the outside and ended up being bundled into touch. but he is the only wing we have that would have backed himself to pull off a highlights reel try in that situation.
1) Montoya would have tun straight into contact and been easily tackled.
2) Dallin Watene-Zelezniak would have cut back inside and tried to juke the full back with a left foot step and been easily tackled.
3) With complete confidence I am 100% certain Kosi would have tried a chip kick and tried to kick past the full back and then regather. This is not a joke he did something similar in the trial on Saturday night and last year in a match when he had a one on one only 5 metres out from the line he went for a chip kick.
Ratuva is going to be good and if he plays the whole season will score at least 15 tries.

Personally I would go with Dallin Watene-Zelezniak at FB as well. However Maybe Brownie wants a ball player back there, and extra Half, so Chanel Harris-Tavita gets the nod. The other possibility is Kodi but his defence is way below Chanel Harris-Tavita. Kodi has probably done enough to partner Shaun Johnson for mine.

I don't think Ratuva is ready for FG, sure he had a go but being tackled into touch is a no no. I would say he is 5th ranked after Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Montoya, Pompey and Kosi.. No denying he has great potential.

Can any of my fellow OG Warriors fans remember that preseason trial match we had a few years ago against Brisbane back when the Broncs were still a genuine force ???

I can't remember all the details but I remember it was either down in Wellyz or Dunners & the Warriors were in those pounamu colored tribal type jersey's (nice af kit btw)

Anyways, the Warriors led by Shaun Johnson put on awesome performance that day & absolutely put a powerful Broncos outfit to the sword for a nice W

Afterwards I remember the vast majority of this forum (including myself) waxing lyrical about this being a Warriors outfit the likes of which we'd never seen before & the hype for the following season took off like a rocket ship on steroids

I think I even joined in on the now mythical "THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!" mantra myself lol

And by mythical I mean fantastical, like aliens, bigfoot & a legitimate western democracy

As in they all sound amazing & great but does any of it really exist lol ???

But I digress, while I don't remember the exact end result of the season following that Broncs trial ... I do remember that it was pretty poor even by Warriors standards

So it's things like this & other things since (the Shaun Johnson debacle to name just one) that have changed me as a life long fan

I used to be a hardcore Warriors cheerleader who would mercilessly troll The Faithless & find any reason to convince even myself that THIS IS FINALLY OUR YEAR!!! ( just have to read some of the delusional gratuitous wanks I wrote about Kearney being the man to lead us to the promised land when he was 1st signed as coach to see that lol)

But as I age I find that even though I am still passionate about this franchise, I now approach each season still hopeful but with limited expectations

Much easier on the blood pressure & the heart for this old OG ex cheerleader

Nothing at all against those that support in that manner ... you gotta do youse

But for me it's just like I said to my ex wife ... I'll always love you babe & you're by far the best shag I've ever known, but no matter how wild the sex is you've still let me down way too many times so lets just be friends yeh ... with the occasional benefits of course 😉😆
Who could forget that trial game. First year of Sam Tomkins - boy had us fooled. As did Tuimavave.

Personally I would go with Dallin Watene-Zelezniak at FB as well. However Maybe Brownie wants a ball player back there, and extra Half, so Chanel Harris-Tavita gets the nod. The other possibility is Kodi but his defence is way below Chanel Harris-Tavita. Kodi has probably done enough to partner Shaun Johnson for mine.

I don't think Ratuva is ready for FG, sure he had a go but being tackled into touch is a no no. I would say he is 5th ranked after Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Montoya, Pompey and Kosi.. No denying he has great potential.
Wasn't it deep in the tackle count? What tackle number was it when he got bundled into touch?

Reactions: matiunz
I don’t think anyone has mentioned the Kepu boys, but I liked the power they showed on the few occasions they got the chance to run the ball, they didn’t look out of place.
Bunty was a machine and showed great fitness I thought.
All the forwards looked strong. Inter passing between each other was nice to see. Agree with many Otokulo needs to run more but will be better for the extended spell he got.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
It does matter if you are deep in their red zone? 5th or 6th tackle and you are inside their red zone then not much is lost if you are bundled into touch in terms of field position? After he was bundled into touch Storm got the ball at their ten metre line so no harm was done by his gamble.
In this case it was more of a positioning issue, sideline is the defences friend and it wasn’t on.
If he can sort his positioning out both attack and defence he’ll move up the pecking order but at the moment he’s probably 5th- not sure where the club sees Arthars either, hope he can fix it quick in Q cup though

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I don’t think anyone has mentioned the Kepu boys, but I liked the power they showed on the few occasions they got the chance to run the ball, they didn’t look out of place.
Bunty was a machine and showed great fitness I thought.
All the forwards looked strong. Inter passing between each other was nice to see. Agree with many Otokulo needs to run more but will be better for the extended spell he got.
I didn’t really notice them too much but that can also mean they didn’t stand out for the wrong reasons, both have plenty of time to get there

Reactions: Boats n Hoes
It does matter if you are deep in their red zone? 5th or 6th tackle and you are inside their red zone then not much is lost if you are bundled into touch in terms of field position? After he was bundled into touch Storm got the ball at their ten metre line so no harm was done by his gamble.
It would’ve been 5th tackle when Ratuva made his run had he stayed in field. The issue I have is the opposition get a tap restart back in centre field which is an obvious advantage over having to work the ball out from a corner which is of course a large reason why kicks are made to the corner on the 5th and last.

I wouldn't mind seeing Chanel Harris-Tavita stay at FB.

Dreams are free, but I think it is still clear that Reece Walsh is the best half in the team.

Chanel Harris-Tavita reminds me a little of CNK.

Good defender, nothing flashy, chimes in well from the back.

CNK only needed 6 rough games of errors to become a FB I would love to have seen Chanel Harris-Tavita with four or six games and Reece up in the line.

Like I say dreams are free and sorry for kicking the tyres in public.

Last edited: