Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Are we assuming Metcalf will play 6 and CHT 7 in the future? People need to move past Ash Taylor sticking around, it won't happen no matter what and he will not be picked ahead of CHT and Shaun Johnson. Then 50 50 with Kodi I reckon, probably just depends who is out
Im not assuming that - CHT is obviously unsigned, despite having been made an offer in November.

I’m starting to think it might be Shaun Johnson and Kodi in the halves this year..

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
Im not assuming that - CHT is obviously unsigned, despite having been made an offer in November.

I’m starting to think it might be Shaun Johnson and Kodi in the halves this year..
I hate Kodi in the halves, but with a dominant 7 like Shaun Johnson perhaps he won't be as frustrating...
The Shaun Johnson and CHT combo does seem to lack speed and X factor which all good teams seem to have 1 X factor half...

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
Bear with me while I share an additional point on Metcalf.
Sharks according to their forum have only 27 instead of the required 29 by start of season.
This could be the most compelling reason to they are keeping Luke. They need him as a competent depth player for their 30.
This reinforces previous conversations that if we want him for 2022 we will need to offer a swap or maybe even a two for one swap.

To address my own question, there is a real chance Sharks will keep Metcalf next year for injury depth. Unless they promote players from their juniors or sign more peeps.
Any signing the Sharks do is of interest to the warriors.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
It’s going to be interesting to see who partners Shaun Johnson in the halves for the first game.
The TAB should run a ‘book’ … any ideas on what the odds would look like between KN, CHT and AT????

Billyspleen75

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Silverdale
It’s going to be interesting to see who partners Shaun Johnson in the halves for the first game.
The TAB should run a ‘book’ … any ideas on what the odds would look like between KN, CHT and AT????
$1.80 for all 3 because no one has a fxxking clue!

Wheels

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 30, 2021
$1.80 for all 3 because no one has a fxxking clue!
Although I have been critical of Kodi for his efforts in the 2nd half of last season, especially the last 4 or 5 games when he was woeful. I still recognize that he can be a very dangerous player with ball in hand & with his confidence back! And with Johnson being the now converted controlling type of player Kodi might be his best partner. However if Taylor is fit and not injury prone and plays near his best he will be another dangerous play maker (2 on the same team - Wow!). My odds therefore are: Kodi $1.75; Taylor $1.80; and CHT $$2.25.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Zero tackle site picking us to be the landing spot for Martin Taupau. Aaron Pene might have something to say about that, even Bunty.

Born in Auckland, a return to the Warriors would be an incredible way for Taupau to end his NRL career.

The Warriors, for all their talent, lack a bench prop that will have opposition teams looking over their shoulder.

Truthfully he would probably have to be willing to accept a bench role given the Matt Lodgeand Addin Fonua-Blake run-on partnership, but to move home, may be well worth it.

The Warriors have shown they are willing to sign players at the back-end of their careers, especially for local players, so this makes sense.

Verdict
There's usually an obvious, standout option on these lists, but here I don't see one. I see two.

Warriors or Dolphins.

Wayne Bennett and the Fins are going to need some experienced pinch hitters to ensure they can do from round one, 2023.

The Warriors need an aggressive bench option and (Covid allowing) present Taupau with a brilliant opportunity for a swansong back home, if he chooses.

Either option would make the world of sense, but as if I had to put money on today - Warriors.

Reactions: BA-AD Luck

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
The Warriors need an aggressive bench option and (Covid allowing) present Taupau with a brilliant opportunity for a swansong back home, if he chooses.

Either option would make the world of sense, but as if I had to put money on today - Warriors.
The "home" line is often used incorrectly when talking about Kiwis reps. Taupau's family moved to Australia almost 22 years ago. He has an Australian wife, 6 Australian born kids & runs a business (https://thedisrupters.com.au/about/) out of Sydney. Rather than moving home he'd actually be moving his home if he relocated to Auckland.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content. Please use another thread if your post content does not adhere to the above.

All offtopic chatter will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.

Zero tolerance to the above. Thank you to the majority who stay on topic on this thread.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings