Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Apparently the Dolphins are looking at old Konnie for 2023 - I know we’ve been looking for a skilled centre/outside back to help with the young fullas, would he be worth a sneaky look?
I have no idea how he has been going in Super League but saw him play a lovely Christmas song on a ukulele over the new year period. If we can forgive and forget with Shaun Johnson we can do the same for Konrad - it’s a yes from me!
I'd bring back Mark Tookey before letting that sloth come back to the Warriors.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Do you know if he was ever on the Warriors radar?
I can’t say so , but I don’t think so.

His family is heavily involved in Marist RU club in Akld. His Dad , Waisake, works there and was a handy midfielder for Auckland back in the day.

NZWarriorsFaithful

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2020
Jeremiah Asi has signed with the Highlanders.

One of our best prospects on our books. He played SG ball for the Warriors in 2020. Apparently a full time contract was offered by us but was rejected.
that’s wrong we didn’t offer him a contract we just let him go

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Jeremiah Asi has signed with the Highlanders.

One of our best prospects on our books. He played SG ball for the Warriors in 2020. Apparently a full time contract was offered by us but was rejected.
Didn’t rate him that highly. Been versing him for the last couple of years (not personally but my school team). He’s handy but I don’t think it’s a huge loss

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Didn’t rate him that highly. Been versing him for the last couple of years (not personally but my school team). He’s handy but I don’t think it’s a huge loss
Hopefully a high ceiling for all the young players in the positions he plays in. Saw a niche cache article from earlier in the year that made sense around our young halves prospects also, that possibly have chosen union. Said in such important positions for us that developing halves is perhaps not an avenue we will go down but have experienced halves on our roster. Perhaps they’re happy for Metcalf to stay put for the season and continue to learn.

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
Yeh I tend to agree with this. He’s made loads of rep teams in both codes but I just don’t see it. My main frustration when watching him play league is he doesn’t get involved. Doesn’t come in looking for work. Schools game last year he would of had maybe 6 touches all game. Don’t think I heard his name at all on the second half

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Yeh I tend to agree with this. He’s made loads of rep teams in both codes but I just don’t see it. My main frustration when watching him play league is he doesn’t get involved. Doesn’t come in looking for work. Schools game last year he would of had maybe 6 touches all game. Don’t think I heard his name at all on the second half
Who are the ones coming through you would be bummed out to see us lose?

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Hopefully a high ceiling for all the young players in the positions he plays in. Saw a niche cache article from earlier in the year that made sense around our young halves prospects also, that possibly have chosen union. Said in such important positions for us that developing halves is perhaps not an avenue we will go down but have experienced halves on our roster. Perhaps they’re happy for Metcalf to stay put for the season and continue to learn.
Hmm yeah I’m not too sure re halves, this guy was a centre wing fb though, genuinely not worried. Landers are snagging some good talent from Auckland, good plays from them. They got the best up and coming 10 from St. Peter’s too in ajay. Might’ve made the move easier for asi, but he genuinely didn’t do anything against us

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Hmm yeah I’m not too sure re halves, this guy was a centre wing fb though, genuinely not worried. Landers are snagging some good talent from Auckland, good plays from them. They got the best up and coming 10 from St. Peter’s too in ajay. Might’ve made the move easier for asi, but he genuinely didn’t do anything against us
Sorry was a bit all over the place, didn’t mean Asi as a halve. I was meaning hopefully the players in positions he plays in have a high ceiling ie. Walsh, Berry, Vailea, Kosi, Ratuva etc.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Has already been posted earlier in the year I think, but this is the article I was eluding to. The Niche Cache
  • MENU

AOTEAROA WARRIORS DIARY: NO YOUNG HALVES COULD BE GOOD

SJ.png

Two things are happening with Aotearoa Warriors...
They are linked to a bargain deal for Ash Taylor.
Sebastyan Jack is the only Warriors halves junior from Aotearoa who made the move to Redcliffe.
This two things may be related and I'm curious to see how this plays out. Let's start with Jack who is a Marist Saints junior and played in the 2020 Warriors SG Ball team, then moved over to Redcliffe with a small army of Warriors juniors. Jack played alongside outside back Eric Va'afusuaga in the Redcliffe Aihe Mal Meninga Cup team (U18). Warriors don't have any Aotearoa halves in their Redcliffe U21 and Intrust Super Cup teams.
Across other positions, the Warriors are stacked with depth that is from Aotearoa and moved to Redcliffe. Viliami Vailea and Taniela Otukolo played SG Ball alongside Jack last year, while there are plenty of outside backs and forwards in this group of Warriors juniors who played for the three Redcliffe Aihe teams. Chuck in notable Warriors juniors that we know about in 1st 15 or local rugby league such as Zyon Maiu'u, Jacob Laban, Tony Tafa, Francis Manuleleua, Ali Leiataua, Jeremiah Asi and Tamakaimoana Whareaorere; Kings College 1st 15 midfielder Manuleleua is the only one who could be a half.

Both of Jack's halves partners in the Warriors SG Ball team have moved to Australia. Sione Moala started most games alongside Jack and he went to Canberra Raiders SG Ball where he and Christchurch Boys High School 1st 15 trooper Jack Sandford won that competition this year. Cassius Cowley played a game in place of Jack and Cowley then moved to Brisbane where he's been playing with Wynnum-Manly Seagulls.
Those departures were part of a mini Warriors exodus as they couldn't keep their SG Ball team under the current conditions. Many players from that SG Ball team moved to Australia and there will be the standard Warriors negativity here, yet the Kiwi-NRL takeover is lit and way more fun.
Ultimately I have emptied my Warriors brain and found one half in Jack. Don't expect Jack to sniff anything close to NRL next season or beyond as he was clearly placed in the best development position for himself. This is more about explaining the Ash Taylor type of signing and less about identifying who the gun halves prospect is on the Warriors roster.
This lack of halves talent is not evident in other positions for Warriors. To the point where it may be by design and this is why I'm curious to see how this all plays out. Catching the vibe here, I reckon Peter O'Sullivan is aware of what the Warriors NRL team require and how Warriors juniors can add the most to the NRL team.
In less than 12 months we saw Vailea go from U18s/1st 15 rugby to NRL and Otukolo play NRL without any reserve grade footy. I've seen the Kepu twins quickly progress through Redcliffe's U21s to ISC and both played in a finals game last weekend. The Warriors are stacked for depth in positions that are better suited to athletes, physicality, power and mobility.
In the halves positions there is a need for experience and solid footy every week. Shaun Johnson offers that and Chanel Harris-Tavita is now entering his fourth season with 37 games to his name. Should the Warriors sign Taylor, he has 115 games of experience since making his debut in 2015 and regardless of how you view Taylor he does at least provide a solid halves option. Even the funkiest possible signings like Joseph Manu are well acquainted with the weekly grind of NRL footy.
I suspect any half the Warriors sign will be of this variety. Three solid halves with experience will be crucial in supporting Reece Walsh, even better if the Warriors can find a consistent hooking rotation of Wayde Egan and Otukolo. I do not believe the Warriors want a debutant half slowing their progress down and while their youthful juniors can plug a bunch of other positions, experience will be more useful in key positions.

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
Who are the ones coming through you would be bummed out to see us lose?
I think the only two that are still tossing up between Union and league is Tony Tafa and Francis M. Both of them have made the secondary schools team so they are both highly rated by both codes. Tony Tafa is a prop, a very good one but we have a few of those on our books. I think he is more than likely to goto Union and Francis who comes a league family as his brother was a Rabbitoh, is more likely to pick the warriors. Having two of his kings college team mates in Aussie also helps

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content. Please use another thread if your post content does not adhere to the above.

All offtopic chatter will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.

Zero tolerance to the above. Thank you to the majority who stay on topic on this thread.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings