Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Hes on a contract worth 850k for season just gone and next (with dogs subsiding both years...but doubt as much as chipping in 450-500k as you are implying). The real interesting part as someone suggested is how much we are actually paying him for his final 2 years when dogs stop chipping in.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak a "real value for money acquisition"? Don't think I ever thought the name and that phrase would ever be stated so closely together.
That’s fine, entitled to your own opinion. Are you one of those people who think we should’ve kept Fusitua & ken? 😅 who would you have rather bought then? Fire me some names.

Reactions: Billyspleen75

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
That’s fine, entitled to your own opinion. Are you one of those people who think we should’ve kept Fusitua & ken? 😅 who would you have rather bought then? Fire me some names.
No I was never a fan of either Ken or Fusitua. Ken I could persevere with, but not Fusitua if valuing players based on how much each used up in the salary cap.

My opinion is based solely on value for money and impact on cap. He has made a career of being paid far more throughout his career than he is worth. Good on him and his management. He is not worth anything over 350-400k in terms of what wingers command these days.

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
No I was never a fan of either Ken or Fusitua. Ken I could persevere with, but not Fusitua if valuing players based on how much each used up in the salary cap.

My opinion is based solely on value for money and impact on cap. He has made a career of being paid far more throughout his career than he is worth. Good on him and his management. He is not worth anything over 350-400k in terms of what wingers command these days.
Ok so he’s on 100-150k more than you’d want. Which accounts to maybe one or two more minimum wage players. Is it really a big deal, paying someone 100k overs? He’s an international winger with a huge amount of experience.

Motota

U20's Player
Mar 9, 2020
Watene-Zelezniak was on $800,000 a season at the Bulldogs, and they’ll have to contribute at least half of that for next year and a similar ratio for the remainder of this season.”

So, we paid $400k for last year and next year, and then assuming we pay 600k for the remaining years, that’s 500k a year for 4 years.
Genuine question but is the cap calculated every year? If it is you could see how Dallin Watene-Zelezniak may not have been the best aquisition, we may be paying him less on average but my understanding of how the cap works as it gets counted every year. That means for his final 2 years he will be taking up 600-650k out of the cap which is a shit load for a winger

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Ok so he’s on 100-150k more than you’d want. Which accounts to maybe one or two more minimum wage players. Is it really a big deal, paying someone 100k overs? He’s an international winger with a huge amount of experience.

Will it be a big big deal now or will it be a big deal in a couple of years? Now no, a couple of years, probably. Overpaying for outside backs is something I had hoped we had got away from.

There will be plenty of completely adequate outside backs that come on the scene as has been the case forever and a day. Pay big in the key areas that are hard to staff with talent. Halfs, hookers, go forward, ball playing.

100k is more than 2 minimum wage players, it is the difference between getting ahead of another club on a marquee signing or not.

Last edited:

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is worth $300k max. Bulldogs offered him that $800k deal thinking he could develop into their long term fullback which he obviously isnt (one of the worst contracts given out in the last 5 years imo)

I doubt they are chipping in more than half his contract, which indicates that it might not have been a value for money acquisition.

It can still be a bad deal even if some of it's subsidised.

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
The other options are Val Holmes 750k, Oates 500k, Nofoaluma 550k? Or addo carr 800k?

No they aren't options, they are other players who play for other teams.

I love the way Dallin plays, gives it 110%, has a nice bit of mongrel, lightening fast and can finish.

Throw in leadership skills and he is an astute signing.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
500k is still a large sum for a Winger, we’re talking the top 1-5 Wingers in the comp on that Salary. In terms of power rankings Dallin Watene-Zelezniak sits comfortably in the middle tier of Wingers whose salaries fall between the 275k-325k from data based on the 2019 Salary Cap.

If it is as stated (500k) we need to ask where the additional value applies, is it in leadership? versatility? experience? we then place a notional value on those qualities of between 175k-225k and ask if that seems fair, there’s no real consensus here on that matter from what I’ve read yet but it is early days still.

I guess in the end if he gets good ball through Shaun Johnson and scores 20+ tries next season we may be more forgiving but at this stage it’s about 30% overs for me.

Reactions: Cces

Nesh

Watene-Zelezniak was on $800,000 a season at the Bulldogs, and they’ll have to contribute at least half of that for next year and a similar ratio for the remainder of this season.”

So, we paid $400k for last year and next year, and then assuming we pay 600k for the remaining years, that’s 500k a year for 4 years.
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak Bulldogs 800k contract was due to expire at the end of 2022.

2023 and 2024 would be a new agreement with the Warriors. Are you assuming that for 2023 and 2024, POS offered him a contract of 600k p.a? While trying to offload Ken and Fusitua because they were overpaid wingers?

I just can't see it, he'd be earning a decent whack but not near 600k, would surely be closer to the 400-450k mark.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak Bulldogs 800k contract was due to expire at the end of 2022.

2023 and 2024 would be a new agreement with the Warriors. Are you assuming that for 2023 and 2024, POS offered him a contract of 600k p.a? While trying to offload Ken and Fusitua because they were overpaid wingers?

I just can't see it, he'd be earning a decent whack but not near 600k, would surely be closer to the 400-450k mark.
It would be interesting to see what those final two years look like, I’m not sure how it works with it effectively being a new agreement/contract. But I know that the NRL does not register contracts that change in annual salary more than 10% from year to year so teams can’t massively back end or front end contracts.

kiwiborn91

Warriors Bench Player
Apr 6, 2019
With all the team getting to spend pre season together I think players like Dallin and CHT that everyone is doubting are gunna prove some peeps wrong! 😉 Spesh with our boy Shaun Johnson in the drivers seat!

I think Dallin has some huge potential and I love seeing him with the ball! Our current wingers are defs better than who we had before - who were also great but stopped putting in the effort! I just wanna see effort and growth!

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
D0BE2F51-8A30-4232-B76E-54E9D22CF1C2.png
Francis Manuleleua at warriors pre season training

W.A warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
We looking at Dylan Brown again according to Fox.
He has not progressed to the level many thought he would so far.
Would take him for around 500K with the hope of him reaching his potential but wouldn’t throw overs to get him.
2023, Shaun Johnson, Metcalf, Brown would be a good mix of halves for the right price.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content. Please use another thread if your post content does not adhere to the above.

All offtopic chatter will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.

Zero tolerance to the above. Thank you to the majority who stay on topic on this thread.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings