Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I like that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck just put out short note on his IG saying he’s signed with the AB’s until end of 2023 - end of story. Puts it to bed straight away. Ice has had many chances to do this but hasn’t and I assume it’s cause he doesn’t want to say “yeah I signed with the tigers so that’s where I’m going” then two week latter he signed somewhere else.

I just can’t believe he signed with them so early on an offer that’s not overs. Crazy decision!!!!
He’s not signed with the ‘All Blacks’- he’s signed with NZ Rugby. Might not seem like much of a difference but all players for nz are signed centrally to NZ Rugby for a base salary, they then pick up provincial and or Super rugby contracts on top of that. If Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is signed to NZ Rugby (until end of 2023) but not signed to a province or super rugby franchise then it’s easier to be released as you essentially aren’t playing any rugby outside of tests. It is extremely unlikely that he didn’t signed to the blues- however if the blues release him it’s likely NZ rugby will also under the previous situation.

jonesy101

jonesy101

end of the day every person under the sun can say ice misses home if he really did he would of been back here by now

end of story he aint coming
Is your comment based on a source? Or more hypothetical that he should have been here by now?

Blain

Blain

end of the day every person under the sun can say ice misses home if he really did he would of been back here by now

end of story he aint coming

I agree with geepee here. Nothing has changed for him personally since when he signed at the Tigers. If he was truly homesick and wanting to be back with family and his misses, he would have knocked on our door November last year. Boats sailed, and our signings for 2023 clearly show we are not expecting to land him.

The things that have changed during that time, is the Tigers coaching set up, and the Warriors entire football operations team. They are reasons to be perhaps unsettled about his decision, but he won't be getting a release because of that.

Noitall

Noitall

mmm you're the one in the kitchen using them
There was an article months ago regarding the rumour of a possible return to the Warriors and I posted a couple of posts from people who claimed to have inside knowledge of it being a real possibility. I’ve been straight up about any of that and never been so arrogant as to post anything like “end of story” as you did earlier as I don’t know, do you? Do you have some inside knowledge to say it’s not happening other than your guess? I couldn’t tell if your post implied he said he’d honour the deal but haven’t seen that anywhere and nobody can give a decent reason of why he wouldn’t just simply state he’s committed, can you? He must love fucking with the media more than Wayne Bennett.

Waipiro

Everyone says this about fringe first graders we sign. Look at our roster construction. It’s very below average signing. He needs minutes to improve and he’s just going to be stuck behind the million second rowers we have and then eventually get released to go play super league
I reckon he will be ranked above a few and may get some solid minutes off the bench. I see Siro moving on. I reckon Ben Murdoch-Masila becomes a bench prop or goes out the door. Jazz could go too with Walkers arrival. I reckon this signing was ticked off by Webster.

Five&Last

Five&Last

I reckon he will be ranked above a few and may get some solid minutes off the bench. I see Siro moving on. I reckon Ben Murdoch-Masila becomes a bench prop or goes out the door. Jazz could go too with Walkers arrival. I reckon this signing was ticked off by Webster.
Yeah I mean that’s all speculation, as of right now they’re signed for next year.

Ben Murdoch-Masila could decide the pay he’s on right now is worth living in NZ away from wife for a year compared to the pay that’s on offer from the Dolphins. Or maybe the wife signs with the Warriors for 2024 when they get a woman’s team back?

I actually don’t think Ford is any better than Siro tbh.

Reactions: Toookey
Noitall

Noitall

Best case scenario I see for the Warriors if there’s any truth to the Papali’i rumours is the tigers getting Sironen who’s old man is tigers royalty and Ben Murdoch-Masila, they’re only contracted to the Warriors for next year so would require renegotiating contracts beyond next year for the tigers if there were to go there as compensation.

Toookey

Toookey

I agree with geepee here. Nothing has changed for him personally since when he signed at the Tigers. If he was truly homesick and wanting to be back with family and his misses, he would have knocked on our door November last year. Boats sailed, and our signings for 2023 clearly show we are not expecting to land him.

The things that have changed during that time, is the Tigers coaching set up, and the Warriors entire football operations team. They are reasons to be perhaps unsettled about his decision, but he won't be getting a release because of that.
At this point in time were all guessing the situation, so allow me to paint you the story that I want to believe 🤣

Ice takes unders at the Eels to build a new name for him self and wins Daly M 2nd rower of the year. Currently on 150k and after a great year, lots of interest from other teams.
Ice has barely been gone a year from the Warriors so there's no way were chasing him, no way he's coming 'crawling' back to us so early.
Tigers sign him up on 600k in November, which is quite a gamble at the time as Ice could be a 1 year, 1 trick pony. Even Eels weren't going to risk that much money. 600k can be a life changing amount, so of course 23 year old Paps is ecstatic. Will also be playing for Madge, the coach that saw something in him when he picked Ice for the Kiwis when most coach's wouldn't have.
Come mid 2022, Ice is putting in and looks as good, if not better than last year. Eels decide they want a bit of this. Tigers start looking a bit shakey and talk of Madge leaving is concerning, especially now that Paps is seen as being able to back up that great 2021 and is not only worth that 600k, infact that's probably unders for what he's doing on the field. Rumours start to swirl. To be honest I think he probably would have been happy to stay at Eels - but that was clearly never going to happen by the Tigers, so I think his thoughts were along the lines of 'if I can't be in a good team pushing for the finals every year, then I may as well be in a lower team closer to home/partner, now that I know Warriors would take me back (probably on more money)'.

That's what I think has happened. I don't think he's this love sick puppy who misses his GF and that's his top priority, I think he can see that signing with the Warriors will give him 2 out of 3 things that would be important as a young league player - money, comfort, playing in a good team.

Noitall

Noitall

At this point in time were all guessing the situation, so allow me to paint you the story that I want to believe 🤣

Ice takes unders at the Eels to build a new name for him self and wins Daly M 2nd rower of the year. Currently on 150k and after a great year, lots of interest from other teams.
Ice has barely been gone a year from the Warriors so there's no way were chasing him, no way he's coming 'crawling' back to us so early.
Tigers sign him up on 600k in November, which is quite a gamble at the time as Ice could be a 1 year, 1 trick pony. Even Eels weren't going to risk that much money. 600k can be a life changing amount, so of course 23 year old Paps is ecstatic. Will also be playing for Madge, the coach that saw something in him when he picked Ice for the Kiwis when most coach's wouldn't have.
Come mid 2022, Ice is putting in and looks as good, if not better than last year. Eels decide they want a bit of this. Tigers start looking a bit shakey and talk of Madge leaving is concerning, especially now that Paps is seen as being able to back up that great 2021 and is not only worth that 600k, infact that's probably unders for what he's doing on the field. Rumours start to swirl. To be honest I think he probably would have been happy to stay at Eels - but that was clearly never going to happen by the Tigers, so I think his thoughts were along the lines of 'if I can't be in a good team pushing for the finals every year, then I may as well be in a lower team closer to home/partner, now that I know Warriors would take me back (probably on more money)'.

That's what I think has happened. I don't think he's this love sick puppy who misses his GF and that's his top priority, I think he can see that signing with the Warriors will give him 2 out of 3 things that would be important as a young league player - money, comfort, playing in a good team.
To add that Papali’i and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad were at the club when Webster was assistant coach and McFadden was around and might see something special could happen under them. My hope is that Kiwi players are really going to want to see a premiership head over the Tasman and chat is amongst them to try make it happen.

Noitall

Noitall

Yeah I mean that’s all speculation, as of right now they’re signed for next year.

Ben Murdoch-Masila could decide the pay he’s on right now is worth living in NZ away from wife for a year compared to the pay that’s on offer from the Dolphins. Or maybe the wife signs with the Warriors for 2024 when they get a woman’s team back?

I’ve always noticed you say Ale is more a second rower or lock having watched a bit of him. I remember how Papali’i was used as a prop in his time at the Warriors sometimes, do you see the same trajectory as Papali’i for Ale?

Waipiro

Yeah but Siro has had a crack without setting the world on fire so might be time for a change. Some guys just need a chance and this could be Fords.
Sounds like he breaks the tackle well and scores trys so might be that bit of aggression we need off the bench

Leon Black

Leon Black

We’re still short a prop and a winger/Centre.
I’ve already listed Blacker, but Mikolaj oledski who’s been mentioned I think we should take a serious look at. And for the back we should go after Edenie Gebbie or Vuate Karawalevu
Aside from Eddie Blacker are these other people even real?? Panthers NSW Cup fullback, way better prospect than guy we have coming from QLD Cup, winger Suruva is a real prospect and young Luke improving all the time. Chase them Webby please.

Waipiro

Yeah totally agree but the ford signing, given we have so many backrowers, says to me that the there will be some players leaving........through the players choice or the clubs.
Or there is actually a plan to make Niukore a starting centre....which opens things up a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.