Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Tapine staying in Canberra, more than ever do I want us to target Leniu as the guy to partner Addin Fonua-Blake.

He isn’t proven as a starting/big minute prop but he's got some fire in him that we could really use and he wouldn’t break the bank like a Tapine or NAS, even with the extra money we would have to offer him compared to other teams.
heard whispers in the panther's forum, that if he wasnt in panthers he wanted to stay in nsw , there are offers from dragons for him

Right.. random comment.

People aren't discussing whether he's a good player, its whether he would be worth the cost to get him here.

No shit he's better than Bunty. Probably costs 3 times the price of Bunty as well, given his age and perceived potential.

If he ever leaves, its for a starting gig. Not to replace Bunty on a b
Right.. random comment.

People aren't discussing whether he's a good player, its whether he would be worth the cost to get him here.

No shit he's better than Bunty. Probably costs 3 times the price of Bunty as well, given his age and perceived potential.

If he ever leaves, its for a starting gig. Not to replace Bunty on a bench.
Geez, tough crowd

Fair enough, next time I only have time to drop a brief comment I just won’t drop anything

Apologies went in a bit harsh there. I get what you were saying.
All good mate

To step it out a bit, (like others have said) Spencer at the moment gives you a dynamic 25 minutes, which perfectly complements AFBs ideal playing time (imo) of around 55 minutes.

That’s the role I saw for Bunty, but he hasn’t kicked on. Last year they stretched Bunty out to 30/40 minutes out of necessity, and started him at prop, but he didn’t give us enough, and at 26 he’s had a fair shot at it.

I don’t know whether Leniu can be stretched to ~40 mins over two stints with another couple of preseasons (without losing impact) but it’s obviously a better project with more upside

I think if we signed Leniu we’d probably release Bunty, hence the ‘upgrade’ comment.

I’d be happy to spend $100k/$150k on the changeover

Dylan Brown was taking "couple photos" on the red carpet with Brad Arthur's daughter last night.

Unlikely he leaves the Eels if they're actually together.
IMG_4869.jpg

All good mate

To step it out a bit, (like others have said) Spencer at the moment gives you a dynamic 25 minutes, which perfectly complements AFBs ideal playing time (imo) of around 55 minutes.

That’s the role I saw for Bunty, but he hasn’t kicked on. Last year they stretched Bunty out to 30/40 minutes out of necessity, and started him at prop, but he didn’t give us enough, and at 26 he’s had a fair shot at it.

I don’t know whether Leniu can be stretched to ~40 mins over two stints with another couple of preseasons (without losing impact) but it’s obviously a better project with more upside

I think if we signed Leniu we’d probably release Bunty, hence the ‘upgrade’ comment.

I’d be happy to spend $100k/$150k on the changeover
See for me bunty is a good 4th prop in your rotation- problem is at the moment hes our number 2 prop- we need to fill that gap between him and Addin Fonua-Blake.

See for me bunty is a good 4th prop in your rotation- problem is at the moment hes our number 2 prop- we need to fill that gap between him and Addin Fonua-Blake.

I’d have Bunty a step down as a good reserve prop who can do a job as a 4th prop. He’s had a lot of opportunities and at 26 is pretty much the same player he’s been for the last four seasons with no noticeable signs of improvement. Happy enough to keep him but wouldn’t be against losing him for a younger prop with a better skill set.

Completely agree with the yawning gap between Addin Fonua-Blake and everyone else although Ale showed some promise at the end of the season.

I’d have Bunty a step down as a good reserve prop who can do a job as a 4th prop. He’s had a lot of opportunities and at 26 is pretty much the same player he’s been for the last four seasons with no noticeable signs of improvement. Happy enough to keep him but wouldn’t be against losing him for a younger prop with a better skill set.

Completely agree with the yawning gap between Addin Fonua-Blake and everyone else although Ale showed some promise at the end of the season.
How much coin would he be on? I wouldn't pay him more than 100-150k per season. Journeyman prop with not much upside.

Last edited:

I think Ale will be our #2 prop by the mid point of next year. He just needs to stay injury free and have a good pre-season. What he produced at the back end of this year was outstanding, considering he had no real NRL experience and was coming off an ACL with no pre-season etc. he has a unique body shape, the way he pops his head between defenders, breaks tackles and finds his front is not something we have had in while.

I think Ale will be our #2 prop by the mid point of next year. He just needs to stay injury free and have a good pre-season. What he produced at the back end of this year was outstanding, considering he had no real NRL experience and was coming off an ACL with no pre-season etc. he has a unique body shape, the way he pops his head between defenders, breaks tackles and finds his front is not something we have had in while.
I don't think he's being groomed as a prop judging from where he has played in reserve grade in the last three years.

I didn't see all of Ale's performances but it seems he played well in the games he had. I sometimes question our starch and size on defence. A bit of size helps around the ruck, I agree that smaller guys are effective, but you need balance. A prop typically is your size, and bulk in defence. Ale is too small for prop, he may be effective enough on offense, but defensively I don't like his size. I want a bigger prop, we can't just have Addin Fonua-Blake. Addin Fonua-Blake will leave if he doesn't get decent help up front on both sides of the ball.

I didn't see all of Ale's performances but it seems he played well in the games he had. I sometimes question our starch and size on defence. A bit of size helps around the ruck, I agree that smaller guys are effective, but you need balance. A prop typically is your size, and bulk in defence. Ale is too small for prop, he may be effective enough on offense, but defensively I don't like his size. I want a bigger prop, we can't just have Addin Fonua-Blake. Addin Fonua-Blake will leave if he doesn't get decent help up front on both sides of the ball.
With the salary Addin Fonua-Blake is on at the Warriors he won’t be going anywhere.

With the salary Addin Fonua-Blake is on at the Warriors he won’t be going anywhere.
Don't count on it, I would argue no prop would look great at the warriors. JFH, Junior Paulo, etc. Money will start to wear thin, and sooner or later players want to compete in the finals and add a title to their legacy. I personally don't think he's overpaid if $850,000 what he gets (perhaps 800k). I don't think many if any would do better with the lack of go forward that our team has.

Last edited:
Panthers have a few off contract for 2024, and if they win this weekend we may see some players chase the money instead of going for more premierships...

Brian To’o, Spencer Leniu, Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin, Scott Sorensen and Charlie Staines all off contract...who do we make a play for?

I think the dream would be Brian To'o for me - with a backline of TMM/Metcalf, Montoya, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Vailea and CNK, I think if we could replace Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (contracted until end of 2024) with To'o we'd be laughing. Would likely cost upwards of $600k but that's only a few hundred k more than what were paying for Dallin Watene-Zelezniak which would be a huge upgrade.

I also really like Leniu at the right price too, if Webby thinks he can get the best out of him

Reactions: Warriorsitsouryear
Status
Not open for further replies.