Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Toookey

Toookey

Just a thought on retaining some off contract players. Shouldnt all contract negotiations freeze untill we have a new coach?

I'm thinking it would be wise to leave space for the new coach to bring in anyone he might see that would strengthen the squad?

That's a hard question to answer - do we have any idea on time frames for a new coach? Will this be in the nek 2 weeks or 2 months?

There's buggar all options left to sign for next year anyways, but yeah some of those off contract players like Murchie get offered something somewhere else they'll probably have to take it...

Reactions: 1 user
Once A Warrior

Once A Warrior

That's a hard question to answer - do we have any idea on time frames for a new coach? Will this be in the nek 2 weeks or 2 months?

There's buggar all options left to sign for next year anyways, but yeah some of those off contract players like Murchie get offered something somewhere else they'll probably have to take it...
Yeah and possibly the club need to say to someone like Asi he has to wait till the next coach is appointed and these guys will be in the front of the que to have talks.

I dont think its good for the club or fair to the incoming coach that the club makes signings without coach imput.

Reactions: 3 users
Noitall

Noitall

Yeah and possibly the club need to say to someone like Asi he has to wait till the next coach is appointed and these guys will be in the front of the que to have talks.

I dont think its good for the club or fair to the incoming coach that the club makes signings without coach imput.
Don’t think it would be fair on Asi if he isn’t in the next coaches plan to ask him to wait around, different if he has no approaches but the rest I agree. The brief article regarding Murchie said we hoped to keep him and I thought the same as what you’re saying. With Hodges in charge of recruitment/retention you’d assume that’s on him the decision to want Murchie to stay. See him as depth but with the physical style Niukore and Barnett play, injury and suspension could be plenty. There’s still a lot left in the season as well as finals etc and a lot of players in the top teams don’t like to negotiate until they’re season is over, with our lack of recruitment last year I think we still have a bit more to come but as you say the coach needs to be the next appointment. Don’t think we should be concerned about players not wanting to come over, the bulldogs had no problems as wooden spooners and Newcastle before.

Reactions: 4 users
Noitall

Noitall

before someone asks about the nothing Badel article re: Reece Walsh, here is what he says:
  • Walsh is keeping an open mind about his future
  • Walsh dropped a bombshell on us last year when he sensationally quit the club to sign a $1.3 million deal with the Warriors.
  • he has a get out "welfare" clause in his contract for the 2024 season if he can't adjust to life in NZ
  • Walsh is happy at the Warriors, but hasn't ruled out a comeback to us
  • we've made no secret of our desire for Walsh to return to Red Hill

Reece Walsh says

“I am signed with the Warriors for next year and I have to worry about playing good footy and when you play good footy, decisions come off the back of it,” he said.

“I have to sit down with my family and go through things.

“I am not thinking too far ahead. I am here in camp with the Queensland boys and enjoying myself.

“I head to New Zealand next week and I am really excited for all the boys who haven’t been home for a while. They get to see their families and it will be awesome for them. It will be an emotional time for the Kiwi boys.

“I enjoyed my time at the Broncos. I came through there and I was only in the NRL system for a couple of months. I made a lot of good friendships there and I’m in camp now with (Broncos trio) Corey Oates, Tom Flegler and Pat Carrigan.

“I have a lot of good mates there and I’m happy the Broncos are going well.

“Right now, I am focused on the Warriors … they have been good to me

One of the latest posts on the broncos forum. Sounds like we’ll have Walsh next year but as many thought past that sounds no guarantees. Think we need to be conscious that 2024 onwards we may need a new fullback. Shame Manu is signed for 2024, a different coach could have a different decision. Better again is we become a successful unit and he stays.

AlexM

AlexM

Probably depends a lot on

Who our Coach is
How well he adjusts to NZ
How well we go in terms of ladder

Pretty impetative to nail points 1 and 3

Reactions: 2 users
W.A warrior

W.A warrior

Wouldn’t be surprised if the broncos let Haas walk and they use the money to buy Walsh.
Who do we replace him with thou? There’s rumours CNK will be with us next year hopefully as centre or wing Or there’s Niu, Arthers and Metcalf.
How i see us lining up for next year,

Arthers
Montoya
Nicoll-Klokstad
Vailea
Watene-Zelezniak
Metcalf
Johnson
Fonua-Blake
Egan
Harris
Bennett
Niukore
Curran

Walker
R.Hunt🙏🏾
Ale
Katoa
I totally agree with targeting Royce Hunt.
He is starting to show signs of a pretty decent front rower.
Addin Fonua-Blake starting with Hunt off the bench has some size on the field at all times.
Should be pretty cheap as well

Reactions: 5 users
NZWarriorsFaithful

NZWarriorsFaithful

Reactions: 1 users

kos

I think maybe this year next year and even the year after Te Maire Martin would be a better number 1 at the Bronco s than Reece.
Tmm is the finished product.
Rw still learning developing.

The Falcon

The Falcon

James Tamou on a one year deal for experience and size?
Jordan McLean, off contract. Underwhelming until this year and gets called up for Origin. Big body.

Noitall

Noitall

I think maybe this year next year and even the year after Te Maire Martin would be a better number 1 at the Bronco s than Reece.
Tmm is the finished product.
Rw still learning developing.
I’ve seen it on the broncos forum that he wants to return to NZ but who knows if there’s any truth to that. He’s had a deal on the table apparently for a while but declined to take and back himself for a better one I think. Wonder if we offered him anything when he was carving it up for Waikato before the broncos offered him a train and trial deal, we took Ash Taylor 😒

Cces

Cces

before someone asks about the nothing Badel article re: Reece Walsh, here is what he says:
  • he has a get out "welfare" clause in his contract for the 2024 season if he can't adjust to life in NZ
Should that say 2023? Seems a bit weird that he has that clause for 2024 when he's yet to commit to 2024 yet

Toookey

Toookey

Just on the whole RW thing - what is everyone's thoughts about upgrading his contract to try and entice him to stay - how much extra do we pay and what do we offer?
Do you bump him up for 2023 and 2024 if he commits to 2025 with no player option?
Do we wait until he's been to NZ before trying that, or try and get him before he comes and doesn't like it lol.

Having a high profile player like RW locked up for a few more years means that recruitment for us would be slightly easier moving forward. Apparently he's on 450k? I'd offer him 150k more for 2023 and 2024 and 700k for 2025. Obvs banking on his potential, but I just think that it would be 5x easier getting someone to stay rather than enticing someone of that quality to come over right now

mrblonde

mrblonde

Just a thought on retaining some off contract players. Shouldnt all contract negotiations freeze untill we have a new coach?

I'm thinking it would be wise to leave space for the new coach to bring in anyone he might see that would strengthen the squad?
Well, first of all, how much say does the Warriors coach have on either retaining or signing players?

He might have final sign-off on a certain player, but it wouldn't surprise me if the recruitment team simply give him a list of realistic options taking into account Salary Cap limits and contract upgrades previously promised by the club to other players, etc. So if a player the coach really would like to have isn't on that list, too bad.

Secondly - and more importantly - none of the other 15 teams are going to suspend their player negotiations while the Warriors get their shit together in signing a new coach. So by suspending player negotiations, the Warriors risk seeing their targetted players snapped up by clubs who've got their coaching plans for 2023 and beyond sussed.

The only contract negotiations I'd be freezing would be upgrade negotiations for players who are contracted to the Warriors to 2024 so can't talk to clubs until November 1 2023 - if there were any being planned by the club. Downgrades, there might be some... :)

Of course, you only sign 28 maximum out of the allowed 30 to give the squad some flexibility (mid-season transfers, etc).

Any decent club would have plans for 2024 and 2025 already up and running. They would know now who's going to retire/not be offered another contract, who's going to probably ask to leave, who's going to be told "It's not us, it's you!", which one of the juniors might well be worthy of a Top 30 spot in that period, etc.

Putting that in Warriors terms, they should be thinking now about who Shaun Johnson's replacement is and how much he'd then be worth, who takes over from RW if he sees out his entire contract but than doesn't resign, etc etc.

Last edited:
Toookey

Toookey

Come to think about it looking at the top teams of the last few years a key feature has largely been a consistent spine. Paramatta, Penrith, Storm, Roosters and Rabbitohs have all been at the pointy end of the comp and have had almost the same spine for long periods of time - when you look at Roosters and Rabbitohs have started to slip, what with Reynolds leaving, and Roosters losing Hooker, and having Kearey out all of last year and blooding a new half in Walker.

Will be interesting to see how Parra and Penrith go with losing their hookers next year.
For me, that means we should try and lock RW up long term, atleast til the end of 2025. If we can have Volkman playing the rest of this year, it means going into 2024 with RW, Egan and Volkman having almost 2 years together, which would really give us some good stability

Toookey

Toookey

Come to think about it looking at the top teams of the last few years a key feature has largely been a consistent spine. Paramatta, Penrith, Storm, Roosters and Rabbitohs have all been at the pointy end of the comp and have had almost the same spine for long periods of time - when you look at Roosters and Rabbitohs have started to slip, what with Reynolds leaving, and Roosters losing Hooker, and having Kearey out all of last year and blooding a new half in Walker.

Will be interesting to see how Parra and Penrith go with losing their hookers next year.
For me, that means we should try and lock RW up long term, atleast til the end of 2025. If we can have Volkman playing the rest of this year, it means going into 2024 with RW, Egan and Volkman having almost 2 years together, which would really give us some good stability

Tragic

Tragic

Just on the whole RW thing - what is everyone's thoughts about upgrading his contract to try and entice him to stay - how much extra do we pay and what do we offer?
Do you bump him up for 2023 and 2024 if he commits to 2025 with no player option?
Do we wait until he's been to NZ before trying that, or try and get him before he comes and doesn't like it lol.

Having a high profile player like RW locked up for a few more years means that recruitment for us would be slightly easier moving forward. Apparently he's on 450k? I'd offer him 150k more for 2023 and 2024 and 700k for 2025. Obvs banking on his potential, but I just think that it would be 5x easier getting someone to stay rather than enticing someone of that quality to come over right now
I believe he is on 400k this year and 500k next year. But your logic still applies. He will be worth a lot more in a decent team, hopefully we can keep him and become that team.

Uster101

The trouble I see with the Warriors is the culture at the club is crap. You could do an experiment, and bring all the Storm players over to play for the Warriors and Send all the Warriors players to the Storm. Within a year the Warriors plaers now playing in the Storm environment would be beating the Storm players now playing in the Warriors environment comfortably. We can bring in great players for 2023 and we might think the top 8 looks good but the reality is no matter who we bring to the Warriors, the top 8 won;t happen until the culture and setup at the Warriors is drastically overhauled.

drake83

The Fijian fullback could be worth a look at was their best player last night and stuck in the panthers reserves

Reactions: 2 users
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content. Please use another thread if your post content does not adhere to the above.

All offtopic chatter will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.

Zero tolerance to the above. Thank you to the majority who stay on topic on this thread.