Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Cces

Cces

Brownie one loss away from his epic destiny of being Warriors worst coach in history after the 4/9 has him back to second worst coach all time.

Tony Kemp 35.1% (sure has a lot to say considering his coaching efforts)
Natty Brown 35.4%, really has cemented new name as Elliott 2.0 (44.8% so its a compliment). This year has slightly pushed him above Kemp for now, but Im sure it wont be long.

3 of the worst and the worst game within 9 rounds, Brown is ultimately responsible for the team making high school errors and rubbish defense. Its beyond acceptable, nothing has changed since rd one.

Coaching has to be under review now, need some coaches who can get a MASSIVE G UP for every round and to apply what they train using mindfulness pre match. Brown for me makes SK look super high energy. Warriors need somebody who gets the intensity message across. Im still keen on Toovey, but I think a decent head coach and Toovey doing the G Up and one on one coaching as Assistant Coach.
Kemp was on the radio earlier in the week blatantly lying and saying he had a 5% better record at the Warriors than Brown 🤣
I wonder if he's been keeping his hands off his current colleagues at SENZ

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

AusWarriorsFan

Sad end to a signing we hoped would be the key to unlocking our attack when he first joined.
Honestly I dont think that was ever why he was signed, CEO George, like a muppet starts challenging the key to our spine, in public, on social media. Shaun Johnson was offered his wage, so George was a muppet. Somebody with more tact wouldnt have used twitter just as the player got back from repping NZ and would have tactfully negotiated the club is short of funds to build the rest of the top 4 team, could you possibly reconsider your contract. Anyway Kegs had a great start, but Green gets injured and suddenly Chitty is debuted at 6 with Tohu Harris playing half at 7, what an embarrassment.

IMO Kodi was signed as knee jerk, instead ot trying to understand why he was a $250k 14 for Broncos and keep looking around, they decide a couple of runs in 24 rounds and no game management skills was good enough to offer him 2x overs. Absurd.

So whilst maybe it was A hope, if it was it was incredibly stupid if they just did some basic scouting on him, it was clearly a knee Jerk reaction due to the managements own stupidity. Kegs scored 3 times first game at 6? I forget, either way, he deserved more games even if we lost some games. To me it just illustrates how George was not competent at sticking to running a business. Suddenly what was shaping into an excellent year 2019, his mistake was blamed on SK.

Reactions: 1 users

AusWarriorsFan

Kemp was on the radio earlier in the week blatantly lying and saying he had a 5% better record at the Warriors than Brown 🤣
I never knew this side of Kemp, some of the stupid things hes said of late, its almost like hes trying to help bring the Waz'rs down.......

AusWarriorsFan

Mine would be.....

1 R Walsh
2 D W Zelezniak
3 M Niukore
4 A Pompey
5 M Montoya
6 C H Tavita
7 S Johnson
8 A F Blake
9 W Egan
10 M Lodge 🙏 / T Harris c
11 M Barnett
12 T Harris c / B Sironen
13 J Curren

14 D Walker
15 B Afoa
16 B M Masila
17 J Tavaga
That is pretty spot on with what Ive got. Im so happy we will be pushing Berry, Kosi and Villiami out of the centres and edge, we need centres and halves who can tackle and dont over commit to a simple draw and pass on D.

Id love to see Walker play a lot of centre. But Pompey is very effective. Do you think Niukore can train for centre roll again and will he not be missed filling Aitkens spot in the forwards?

Also Im gagging to not waste Metcalf, watching his massive tackle busting tries from 6 and FB, I think its worth giving him a go on the wing, imagine having somebody with genuine pace on the wing, despite his size, all wingers use to be 6ft 90kg types. Hes a tough kid. I can see us doing simple draw and pass and watching Metcalf explode onto the cut out pass flanking them, by the time they turn around hes 30m down the pitch and about to touch down unmarked. Hes gotta play starting spot.

Once A Warrior

Once A Warrior

That is pretty spot on with what Ive got. Im so happy we will be pushing Berry, Kosi and Villiami out of the centres and edge, we need centres and halves who can tackle and dont over commit to a simple draw and pass on D.

Id love to see Walker play a lot of centre. But Pompey is very effective. Do you think Niukore can train for centre roll again and will he not be missed filling Aitkens spot in the forwards?

Also Im gagging to not waste Metcalf, watching his massive tackle busting tries from 6 and FB, I think its worth giving him a go on the wing, imagine having somebody with genuine pace on the wing, despite his size, all wingers use to be 6ft 90kg types. Hes a tough kid. I can see us doing simple draw and pass and watching Metcalf explode onto the cut out pass flanking them, by the time they turn around hes 30m down the pitch and about to touch down unmarked. Hes gotta play starting spot.
Niukore has to be a backrower but until Berry or vailea are up to it I would use him there.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

AusWarriorsFan

Niukore has to be a backrower but until Berry or vailea are up to it I would use him there.
Yep thats my thoughts, to be honest I thought moving Aitken back to centre this year made sense.

Walker could cover centre instead.

But Arthars wants to play for the Waz. I think we should make an offer to Bris. Hes been excellent in defense and hes broken the line by running the hole. Annoys heck out of me, slow OBs running straight into the defender instead of making them stretch like Arthars does.

Either way that centre spot leaked too many missed tackles and were over commiting putting our wingers one on three at times.

Since95

The warriors for mine personally are forwards heavy. Always have been. Lodge leaving wouldnt be too damaging skillset wise. But you cant criticise him for lack of effort and leadership. Thats the major loss.

Johnson has to be the guy to step up he isnt a rookie anymore. That crounulla game he can be seen standing next to the huddle silent. Not even in it!
If he didnt say anything thats fine, but he could lead by example. Take the line on. Hes very lateral these days which puts pressure on everyone else who could get the ball.

They didnt get a spray til Addin Fonua-Blake came back on and by then too late.

I love Shaun Johnson but since breaking his leg its like that put paid to him running to the line.

But like they all said playing at the wrong end making dumb mistakes. Overall we got to be better. Hopefully Tohu Harris leadership helps and adjustments aew made thwy have proved few time this year they can compete. But lacked thw polish.. In some cases a lit of polish

Reactions: 3 users

Wheels

The warriors for mine personally are forwards heavy. Always have been. Lodge leaving wouldnt be too damaging skillset wise. But you cant criticise him for lack of effort and leadership. Thats the major loss.

Johnson has to be the guy to step up he isnt a rookie anymore. That crounulla game he can be seen standing next to the huddle silent. Not even in it!
If he didnt say anything thats fine, but he could lead by example. Take the line on. Hes very lateral these days which puts pressure on everyone else who could get the ball.

They didnt get a spray til Addin Fonua-Blake came back on and by then too late.

I love Shaun Johnson but since breaking his leg its like that put paid to him running to the line.

But like they all said playing at the wrong end making dumb mistakes. Overall we got to be better. Hopefully Tohu Harris leadership helps and adjustments aew made thwy have proved few time this year they can compete. But lacked thw polish.. In some cases a lit of polish
We possibly are forwards heavy but in my mind Lodge leaving us is a big loss. He has been our best forward in recent games and has made improvements in the reduction of penalties and errors in his game which was holding him back from being one of the elite props in the competition. Replacing him will be very hard as the gap between him & Pene/Afoa is quite significant. Opposition reads on Johnson are very easy because if he does take the line on it is without conviction and only once in 80 minutes. Most of the time he will either go wide or to an inside runner. Tomorrows game is going to be massive for Johnson but I hope he goes well. For me we need someone that can constantly break tackles out wide (centre/wing) without spilling the ball and I would pay overs for this. I don't know who is available to fit this role but I think that is the missing ingredient along with a prop to replace Lodge for us next year.

Five&Last

Five&Last

2023 for me
  1. Walsh
  2. Montoya
  3. Vailea
  4. Berry
  5. Watene-Zelezniak
  6. Metcalf
  7. Harris-Tavita
  8. Fonua-Blake
  9. Egan
  10. Barnett
  11. Nuikore
  12. Harris
  13. Curren

14. Otukolo
  15. Afoa
  16. Katoa
  17. Walker

18. Pene
  19. Kepu
Gotta start investing in Metcalf (or Volkman) to partner Chanel Harris-Tavita from next year. Keep Shaun Johnson in the squad next year for experience. But too unreliable both in terms of performance and durability. Tito-Harris/Manuleleua to replace Shaun Johnson in the squad in 2024. Wouldn't be opposed to Shaun Johnson in there but regardless, this needs to be Chanel Harris-Tavita's team now. Shaun Johnson's at 32 will have most of his athleticism sapped and for all his experience will never be a game manager, I think we inject some creativity into the team with Metcalf or Volkman.

I like Harris in the second row. Preserves is career abit more and will help out a more inexperienced halves combo on the edge.

We need a massive step up over the off-season from our young guys (i.e. Cowboys), otherwise that doesn't look like a top eight team. We will have the Matt Lodge money to make signing or two potentially. But if we can keep Lodge on reasonable money (wouldn't be paying overs, he's great but not special) and bump out Katoa off the bench, then that would help.

Wheels

2023 for me
  1. Walsh
  2. Montoya
  3. Vailea
  4. Berry
  5. Watene-Zelezniak
  6. Metcalf
  7. Harris-Tavita
  8. Fonua-Blake
  9. Egan
  10. Barnett
  11. Nuikore
  12. Harris
  13. Curren

14. Otukolo
  15. Afoa
  16. Katoa
  17. Walker

18. Pene
  19. Kepu
Gotta start investing in Metcalf (or Volkman) to partner Chanel Harris-Tavita from next year. Keep Shaun Johnson in the squad next year for experience. But too unreliable both in terms of performance and durability. Tito-Harris/Manuleleua to replace Shaun Johnson in the squad in 2024. Wouldn't be opposed to Shaun Johnson in there but regardless, this needs to be Chanel Harris-Tavita's team now. Shaun Johnson's at 32 will have most of his athleticism sapped and for all his experience will never be a game manager, I think we inject some creativity into the team with Metcalf or Volkman.

I like Harris in the second row. Preserves is career abit more and will help out a more inexperienced halves combo on the edge.

We need a massive step up over the off-season from our young guys (i.e. Cowboys), otherwise that doesn't look like a top eight team. We will have the Matt Lodge money to make signing or two potentially. But if we can keep Lodge on reasonable money (wouldn't be paying overs, he's great but not special) and bump out Katoa off the bench, then that would help.
I like your team but defensively especially in the backs I think we will be vulnerable! I know that people have said that Walker isn't a center anymore but can't he transition back into that role with a decent preseason? Look at Talakai he was moved from the forwards!

Reactions: 1 user

warriorsfan92

Tbh I’d put Dylan walker straight into the centres. There’s also the option for niukore to a lot in there too. Both upgrades on our current centres. I’d rather have a strong defensive centre in niukore with less attacking upside in our lineup. Although he’ll cart the ball up more, bring intimidation & essentially be a third edge to tie up our defensive issues. I’d also rather have walker start, although he’s a gun 14, he’s an upgrade on both centres we have right now. Asi/volkman/lussick could all play 14, or jazz, with Tohu Harris Barnett & Curran in the back row. Tbh I see Tohu Harris moving to prop, with lodge moving on, so that’d mean jazz or sironen comes into the backrow

Reactions: 3 users
Five&Last

Five&Last

I like your team but defensively especially in the backs I think we will be vulnerable! I know that people have said that Walker isn't a center anymore but can't he transition back into that role with a decent preseason? Look at Talakai he was moved from the forwards!
Its a no from me, Walker would be even more of a defensive liability out there. He's put on too much size. Talakai for his size is a quick man.

Have to go for the upside play in Vailea/Berry.

Five&Last

Five&Last

Tbh I’d put Dylan walker straight into the centres. There’s also the option for niukore to a lot in there too. Both upgrades on our current centres. I’d rather have a strong defensive centre in niukore with less attacking upside in our lineup. Although he’ll cart the ball up more, bring intimidation & essentially be a third edge to tie up our defensive issues. I’d also rather have walker start, although he’s a gun 14, he’s an upgrade on both centres we have right now. Asi/volkman/lussick could all play 14, or jazz, with Tohu Harris Barnett & Curran in the back row. Tbh I see Tohu Harris moving to prop, with lodge moving on, so that’d mean jazz or sironen comes into the backrow
Walker was never a strong defensive center even when he played there full time and was 10 kg lighter.

Nuikore played center as a last resort for the Eels and showed zero ability to set up his outside man. Would be like watching Kata.

Even though I went Vailea/Berry. Pompey would be a better answer than Nuikore/Walker center pairing.

Hopefully we can get Arthars but I very much doubt we will given Broncs probably lose Farnworth this offseason.

Toookey

Toookey

I think we’re all a bit worried about the Berry/Vailea inexperience. To be honest I thought we could get away with it until they developed, but having both at the same time seems to have had a very negative impact on our team. If we pick and stick with them for the rest of this year and next, this year will be a write off and we won’t start to see the fruits until mid-late 2023/early 2024. Unfortunately, we need results now to keep people like Walsh/Lodge interested.

If we can pick up Arthurs or another slightly older centre and between them/Pompey and Berry/Vailea (plus Walker/Niukore for short term quick fixes) I think we can get to 2024 with out a whole lot of damage to the team.

I think we’ve seen that the balance this year in the forwards is off. Too many small forwards - Bunty/Pene can work in the front row if you have bigger back rowers but with Sirro, Curran, Aitken and with Katoa and Ben Murdoch-Masila playing like cats we haven’t had enough go forward.

Barnett, Niukore and Tohu Harris (obvs haven’t had him this year) will help greatly here, but we then lose Lodge. Katoa/Ale/Kepu would be huge if they stepped up for us next year as that would even the balance out I reckon. Or of course signing Haas could help in that department 😜

6Again

I think we’re all a bit worried about the Berry/Vailea inexperience. To be honest I thought we could get away with it until they developed, but having both at the same time seems to have had a very negative impact on our team. If we pick and stick with them for the rest of this year and next, this year will be a write off and we won’t start to see the fruits until mid-late 2023/early 2024. Unfortunately, we need results now to keep people like Walsh/Lodge interested.

If we can pick up Arthurs or another slightly older centre and between them/Pompey and Berry/Vailea (plus Walker/Niukore for short term quick fixes) I think we can get to 2024 with out a whole lot of damage to the team.

I think we’ve seen that the balance this year in the forwards is off. Too many small forwards - Bunty/Pene can work in the front row if you have bigger back rowers but with Sirro, Curran, Aitken and with Katoa and Ben Murdoch-Masila playing like cats we haven’t had enough go forward.

Barnett, Niukore and Tohu Harris (obvs haven’t had him this year) will help greatly here, but we then lose Lodge. Katoa/Ale/Kepu would be huge if they stepped up for us next year as that would even the balance out I reckon. Or of course signing Haas could help in that department 😜

I haven't checked the stats to corroborate this but our back five for a chunk of games minus Montoya & Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and even when Dallin Watene-Zelezniak came back must have been producing the worst meters out of yardage of any back five in the NRL. Berry/Vailea/Arthurs/Walsh these guys whilst having speed and footwork are not powerful enough ball runners to contend with the aggressive defensive pressure teams are applying on or near our line and that's having an impact on the rest of the side having to get back behind the ball to help them out. That whole cycle is hurting us massively in games.

Montoya coming back should help with creating some momentum there but unless we employ different tactics I really don't see a huge amount of improvement against these sides with that hyper-effective kick-chase & pressure defense component.

No doubt Berry & Vailea will both become stronger ball carriers once they fill out. Arthurs has never had a strong carry as part of his game, and Walsh, well that's probably never really going to be his go, but then he shouldn't have that burden either.

Ultimately you need strong ball carry's from your wingers. Montoya is doing his job well enough, averaging 130 odd meters isn't elite but is acceptable, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is well below that averaging a poultry 78 meters at about 5 meters per carry.

If I'm Craig Hodges I'm putting a red circle around that area and thinking about how to strengthen it through personnel. For me it's not about bringing in bigger forwards, that would be putting the cart before the horse and would have a detrimental effect on how we should be looking to play the game.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak among other areas needs to improve that central part of his game.

Bit of a long-winded post but in essence getting more meters out of our back five has become a recruitment issue now.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Five&Last

Five&Last

I haven't checked the stats to corroborate this but our back five for a chunk of games minus Montoya & Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and even when Dallin Watene-Zelezniak came back must have been producing the worst meters out of yardage of any back five in the NRL. Berry/Vailea/Arthurs/Walsh these guys whilst having speed and footwork are not powerful enough ball runners to contend with the aggressive defensive pressure teams are applying on or near our line and that's having an impact on the rest of the side having to get back behind the ball to help them out. That whole cycle is hurting us massively in games.

Montoya coming back should help with creating some momentum there but unless we employ different tactics I really don't see a huge amount of improvement against these sides with that hyper-effective kick-chase & pressure defense component.

No doubt Berry & Vailea will both become stronger ball carriers once they fill out. Arthurs has never had a strong carry as part of his game, and Walsh, well that's probably never really going to be his go, but then he shouldn't have that burden either.

Ultimately you need strong ball carry's from your wingers. Montoya is doing his job well enough, averaging 130 odd meters isn't elite but is acceptable, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is well below that averaging a poultry 78 meters at about 5 meters per carry.

If I'm Craig Hodges I'm putting a red circle around that area and thinking about how to strengthen it through personnel. For me it's not about bringing in bigger forwards, that would be putting the cart before the horse and would have a detrimental effect on how we should be looking to play the game.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak among other areas needs to improve that central part of his game.

Bit of a long-winded post but in essence getting more meters out of our back five has become a recruitment issue now.
Honestly Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is atrocious in that respect.

He's similar size to Montoya but gets driven back like 5 meters on every carry out of his own end.

Easily worst contract on our books right now.

Reactions: 4 users

Burncity warrior

Berry & Vailea will both become stronger ball carriers once they fill out, I have no doubt about that. Arthurs has never had a strong carry as part of his game, and Walsh, well that's probably never really going to be his go, but then he shouldn't have that burden either.

The funniest thing is we had two of the best ball carrying wings in the game I'm Ken and Fusitua but people kept disparaging them and calling them "propwings" lol
Don't get me wrong, I understand their form wasnt great but a good coach could have got the best out of them I feel. Mooks did🤷.. we are severely lacking thrust from our back 5, which is just compounded by our horrible linespeed.

Reactions: 4 users

Wheels

Reckon you are spot on! We just need someone we can rely on for consistent tackle breaks...or to start sets off well so we have a bit of momentum before the middles become engaged. TBH the only back from recent games who seems able to get over the advantage line to some acceptable level is Pompey.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content. Please use another thread if your post content does not adhere to the above.

All offtopic chatter will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.

Zero tolerance to the above. Thank you to the majority who stay on topic on this thread.