General 2022 Offseason and Pre-season

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
understandable motivator. Hopefully quality family time translates to quality results on the field.
I was more referring to the fact that he will be based in Brisbane and Kayla and the kid let will be in Auckland (or currently in the UK). Meaning he will get to see them over FaceTime unless they drop the MIQ between the countries..

Reactions: Worried2Death

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I was more referring to the fact that he will be based in Brisbane and Kayla and the kid let will be in Auckland (or currently in the UK). Meaning he will get to see them over FaceTime unless they drop the MIQ between the countries..
When he was signed and talked about coming home I thought it was all well and good but it wasn't guaranteed the club would be back home and he could be back in Australia during the off season.

Listening to him being interviewed after he was signed he sounded realistic that he'd need to be away from his family and was preparing for it.

The recent comments I missed as I pretty much skimmed through the article to see how he felt about the squad.

Ultimately, Johnson’s move came down to where he felt he’d be most satisfied, and he believes that the Warriors is the right club to help him reconnect with his family.
“I’m definitely happy, and I want to be happy,” Johnson said.
“In the current climate, it made it difficult for me from a family sense, not being able to see my girls and having to watch my daughter grow up on FaceTime.
“To me the picture isn’t complete, but i’m one to roll with the punches, and make the best out of every situation.
“I’m fortunate to be back at the club and working with some really good people.”

It reads like a lot of his comments since signing with us. More mature and realistic of the situation. I assume when he was with the Sharks his partner and daughter relocated to Queensland with them. That would of been good having them with them but its not easy moving with a young child. He also wouldn't of had much of a support network. From an interview last year I recall that was one key point having family in Auckland to assist Kayla.

When he signed he might have been hedging his bets a bit that the club returned home in 2022 or 2023.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Johnson radio interview on SENZ
Gotta love Shaun, he's too honest for his own good sometimes and exposes his naivety (you's got what you's wanted), but the guy has no sides or agendas, just straight up speaks his truth, and quite eloquently these days as he's getting older. Those comments about setting up his players in positions to do what they can do are gold, we haven't had a grand wizard like that since Stacey.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I am probably going to get ripped over this, but here we go. I think there is a good chance of the Warriors doing well this season because while being stuck in lock down they have created their own identity. This was every player giving all for the common cause (in general).

This should have been done in 1995, carry on the tradition of those Auckland League teams of the 70s-90's. Blokes who worked for a living going out and giving it to international sides, having pride in performance and defending your own line based on effort on effort.

Instead when the suits took over the bullshit, 'we are in the entertainment business' mentality came from people outside the game. Bullshit, it is a results business. The best rugby sides, whatever code, have good defence. Here is a 'No shit Sherlock' moment, if you have good defence you don't need to score as many points to win.

Fitness and conditioning is vital, the Warriors have had many players who were incapable of repeated efforts. Sir Alex Ferguson regarded work ethic in players as a fundamental talent, he tended to keep the effort players longer than the brilliant ones.

The fundamentals, the basic skills need to be second nature, there is too much dramatization of parts of the game, counter attack and 'jungle ball' are the basic skill of backing up the ball carrier, it is dependent on the passer giving the ball to someone who is in support and in a better position to advance the play.

The other thing is to take it one game at a time, concentrate on round 1, never mind anything else.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Did my old eyes miss Ash T in them photos?
I don't think we need read anything into it. After reading the headlines of two thirds of the squad having/had covid and some still isolating. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in isolation.

Not ideal for a guy needing to lose weight and prove his fitness to have a setback like that. But it can't be helped in the current environment and its a long season so plenty of time for him to prove himself.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
I am probably going to get ripped over this, but here we go. I think there is a good chance of the Warriors doing well this season because while being stuck in lock down they have created their own identity. This was every player giving all for the common cause (in general).

This should have been done in 1995, carry on the tradition of those Auckland League teams of the 70s-90's. Blokes who worked for a living going out and giving it to international sides, having pride in performance and defending your own line based on effort on effort.

Instead when the suits took over the bullshit, 'we are in the entertainment business' mentality came from people outside the game. Bullshit, it is a results business. The best rugby sides, whatever code, have good defence. Here is a 'No shit Sherlock' moment, if you have good defence you don't need to score as many points to win.

Fitness and conditioning is vital, the Warriors have had many players who were incapable of repeated efforts. Sir Alex Ferguson regarded work ethic in players as a fundamental talent, he tended to keep the effort players longer than the brilliant ones.

The fundamentals, the basic skills need to be second nature, there is too much dramatization of parts of the game, counter attack and 'jungle ball' are the basic skill of backing up the ball carrier, it is dependent on the passer giving the ball to someone who is in support and in a better position to advance the play.

The other thing is to take it one game at a time, concentrate on round 1, never mind anything else.
I hope your right Gizzy!

What I want to say to this though is that I'm not buying this culture and identity bullshit.

For far to many years we have been hearing from the warriors about culture and identity pissing Blood for the jersey Blah! Blah! Blah! But their actions hardly ever meet this.

This whole thing was blown open when Brendon Smith talked about the big drinking culture at the Storm, I thought the storm had it locked down! But they too are a bunch of knuckleheads.

Look I'm not having a dig at your post at all but I'm happy now knowing that one day the warriors will get to another Final maybe perhaps win a premiership! but the warriors have a huge sample size of failure and that will be etched out soon enough but I don't think it will be sustainable for a long period of time, just a finals birth would be a start.

Reactions: Akkerz

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
While I hope you're right only 9 of the current squad played for the Warriors in 2020, when they first relocated, so I'm pessimistic about the strength of the common bond

Last edited:

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I hope your right Gizzy!

What I want to say to this though is that I'm not buying this culture and identity bullshit.

For far to many years we have been hearing from the warriors about culture and identity pissing Blood for the jersey Blah! Blah! Blah! But their actions hardly ever meet this.

This whole thing was blown open when Brendon Smith talked about the big drinking culture at the Storm, I thought the storm had it locked down! But they too are a bunch of knuckleheads.

Look I'm not having a dig at your post at all but I'm happy now knowing that one day the warriors will get to another Final maybe perhaps win a premiership! but the warriors have a huge sample size of failure and that will be etched out soon enough but I don't think it will be sustainable for a long period of time, just a finals birth would be a start.

Saying it and having that historic template are two different things. Having those old Auckland teams are a real thing, not fanciful talk about culture and identity.

As Mark Shaw said to Mike Brewer as he handed over his All Black jersey, 'Remember, guys have pissed blood for that jersey'.

So I agree with you there, it has to be real, call it an example, template, legacy, brand, whatever. They need more than money to perform their best.

Reactions: bangbros18

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Here's a handful of random offseason stats:

- Departed players Peta Hiku (60%), Jamayne Taunoa-Brown (46%) & Sean O'Sullivan (42%) had the best win % out of all of the 2021 squad (who played more than 2 games).
Bunty Afoa & Ed Kosi had the best record out of the current squad with a 40% win rate (*Viliami Vailea was 100% from 2 games).

- Jazz Tevaga, Kodi Nikorima & Bunty Afoa were the only players who played in all 8 of the Warriors victories in 2021.

- Aaron Pene is on a 9 game winning streak since losing in his NRL debut.

- Shaun Johnson has won 20 of his last 30 regular season games in the #7 jumper.

- Rocco Berry has lost his last 6 games & has only won 1 game so far in his 8 game NRL career.

- Chanel Harris-Tavita has only won on back to back weekends once in his 37 game career (the club has achieved this 5 times since he debuted).

- As a halves pairing, Kodi Nikorima & Shaun Johnson have a victory over the Kangaroos & a 34-nil win over England together.

Last edited:

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Brisbane Queensland Australia

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player