General 2021 WILL THE WARRIORS MAKE THE TOP 8?

bringmethehorizon

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
North Shore
Without taking the piss, on current form and with Addin Fonua-Blake still to come back, I think we are favourites in 10 of our 13 remaining games.
We will lose to Panthers Bunnies and Storm.
And we are a very good chance of beating Cowboys Knights Dragons Sharks X2 Tigers Bulldogs Broncos Raiders Titans

Should be good enough for 7th spot. Or higher if manly or roosters fall away

the borg

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
Yep I reckon we will ... should be able to hold our own til Addin Fonua-Blake returns, for once we have a decent draw leading into the finals. Plus the attack is getting better, even Kodis pulling his finger out now with Brownie letting RW just play his game as he sees it..

Reactions: Sup42

Jack Bourke

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2017
Whangarei
I actually think (injuries dependant) that Manly rise to a top four team with us also following suit to 5 or 6. Based on current form I see rabbits, eels and roosters going on a bit of a slide as teams close the gap and injuries take toll. Those last spots in the 8 are fought out by Titans, cowboys, and dragons

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 9, 2012
Just to add to my earlier comment.. some of the top teams ill discipline is beginning to take its toll .. chooks, eels, the bunnies even could find themselves sliding down the ladder through multiple suspensions. Brownie needs to keep Jazz and co away from high shots and play smart if thats possible..
I'm of the opinion that Jazz is the only player we should be encouraging to take high shots

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Without taking the piss, on current form and with Addin Fonua-Blake still to come back, I think we are favourites in 10 of our 13 remaining games.
We will lose to Panthers Bunnies and Storm.
And we are a very good chance of beating Cowboys Knights Dragons Sharks X2 Tigers Bulldogs Broncos Raiders Titans

Should be good enough for 7th spot. Or higher if manly or roosters fall away
Jeeze, looking at that schedule we should be making the 8 easy. Anything less than that is an epic fail IMO.

I say it every year, but how costly are those 2x losses to Manly and the tough one against Knights early up going to be at the end of the year. Literally the difference between finishing 6th - 8th. Considering our injuries to star recruits and not being able to field the same team until rd 12, I think finishing in the 8 would be a huge effort

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

Jeeze, looking at that schedule we should be making the 8 easy. Anything less than that is an epic fail IMO.

I say it every year, but how costly are those 2x losses to Manly and the tough one against Knights early up going to be at the end of the year. Literally the difference between finishing 6th - 8th. Considering our injuries to star recruits and not being able to field the same team until rd 12, I think finishing in the 8 would be a huge effort
First game against Manly we dropped the ball. Second game with Turbo nah Manly are on the way to the top four they are just hitting their stride with Turbo, the Warriors did well to be close to them.

Manly will continue their streak from here.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
I think we squeak into the 8. Under the radar.

Then we launch an all out duck into every tackle strategy, and sin bin our way to our first premiership.

Teddy might have pioneered the strategy, but he ain't got the chin to keep it up.

On the other hand, we have some of the toughest chins going around (Mark Hunt styles).

Time to start playing to our strengths and the new rules ;)

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
I think we squeak into the 8. Under the radar.

Then we launch an all out duck into every tackle strategy, and sin bin our way to our first premiership.

Teddy might have pioneered the strategy, but he ain't got the chin to keep it up.

On the other hand, we have some of the toughest chins going around (Mark Hunt styles).

Time to start playing to our strengths and the new rules ;)
Fuck that, we're up against Cleary's chin, just give them the trophy now

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016

Attachments

• Nathan_Cleary2.png
    Nathan_Cleary2.png
    806.4 KB · Views: 20

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Regardless of the season or situation I feel like the Warriors always just sit in or out of the 8. When we have a chance to cement a spot we lose and when we have to win to stay in touch we do. Frustrates the hell out of me
The Mrs was in the room during the Tigers game and was enjoying my up and down emotions. When we went up by 10 with 5 minutes to go I said ‘the other team will score, the Warriors never let their fans relax until the final whistle’. Sure enough, Tamou barge over to bring it to 4 haha.

Frustrating isn’t the word 🙃

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
If I am honest I do not like the way we are playing the game, and it bothers me a lot that we are not playing the type of game that gets us there this season.

Our defence is the problem.

The arrival of Walsh provides some counter attack, a lot of it in fact, but the only way we make it, as I see it, is that we either have some miracle improvement in out tackling or we see Addin Fonua-Blake back..and play Kearney ball....which is in effect defensive offence.

Walsh can still play his game from a Kearney ball platform...but we must...absolutely must, play games where we have more ball than the opposition and territory.

That is what I call defensive offence, starve the opposition of territory and possession.

Otherwise we are like our usual past selves, inconsistent swings on the score board as both teams wrack up lots of trys.

And there is no way we are wining against better opposition who have more ball and territory than us.

The problem with that kind of attacking mindset is that you are like old Canberra, before they learned to tackle under sticky....and unless you have banked a lot of wins...for those times where other sides blow you off the park....you are not going to make it.

We need to own that ball and play Reece Walsh a lot in the opposition half, that way when people miss tackles, it is at the right end of the field and it is recoverable.

But longer term, if you believe the Warriors can improve their defence markedly, then perhaps it is better to throw the ball around till they master that skill and consistently work on their D combinations....but like I said at the top....I do not think that type of game gets us there this year.

I think we need Addin Fonua-Blake back, I think we stick to supporting offloading fowards for razzle dazzle, and we play a safe forward oriented game to get down to the opposition half and stay there.

Mr Dragon

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2015
If I am honest I do not like the way we are playing the game, and it bothers me a lot that we are not playing the type of game that gets us there this season.

The arrival of Walsh provides some counter attack, a lot of it in fact, but the only way we make it, as I see it, is that we either have some miracle improvement in out tackling or we see Addin Fonua-Blake back..and play Kearney ball....which is in effect defensive offence.

Walsh can still play his game from a Kearney ball platform...but we must...absolutely must, play games where we have more ball than the opposition and territory.

That is what I call defensive offence, starve the opposition of territory and possession.

Otherwise we are like our usual past selves, inconsistent swings on the score board as both teams wrack up lots of trys.

And there is no way we are wining against better opposition who have more ball and territory than us.

The problem with that kind of attacking mindset is that you are like old Canberra, before they learned to tackle under sticky....and unless you have banked a lot of wins...for those times where other sides blow you off the park....you are not going to make it.

We need to own that ball and play Reece Walsh a lot in the opposition half, that way when people miss tackles, it is at the right end of the field and it is recoverable.

But longer term, if you believe the Warriors can improve their defence markedly, then perhaps it is better to throw the ball around till they master that skill and consistently work on their D combinations....but like I said at the top....I do not think that type of game gets us there this year.

I think we need Addin Fonua-Blake back, I think we stick to supporting offloading fowards for razzle dazzle, and we play a safe forward oriented game to get down to the opposition half and stay there.
I agree with everything you said 😎

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

Spot on, and the thing is this team has shown it is capable of high completion rates and solid defence. So why haven't they built upon that. I think there are three reasons which may all be involved.

The first is concentration and attitude, they will often really defend well and then give up a soft try. Look at Tamou's try last week, 20 minutes defending with 12 giving up two penalties and scoring two tries, then when the job is nearly done give up that soft try making for a nervous couple of minutes.

Senior players missing through injury or just having bad moments. Like other teams our injury toll has been hurting, especially guys in key positions like Aitken, CHT and Addin Fonua-Blake. Added to that our back ups are inexperienced and/or not at NRL level at this stage.

Too many players are followers and not taking the responsibility of leading the way, almost looking they are playing within themselves to avoid mistakes.

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
So letting another one get away in the weekend - the 4th this year that we should have closed out and won - just think of where we'd be sitting had we managed to bag just a couple of them. But that's in the past now and no point dwelling on what could have been.

We are now at the half way juncture and a 5-7 record isn't pretty, but its not cataclysmic either as we have a run home of 6 games in a row against sides currently sitting outside of the top 8 (the Titans will go up if they win today). That is the least daunting run home we've had in years. If we can keep in touch for the next 6 games - 3 of them very tough ones - and build some momentum for those final 6, then who knows what will happen.

We've got Aitken back and Addin Fonua-Blake to return. Walsh and Murdoch-Masila are firing. The season is far from over.

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings