General 2021 WILL THE WARRIORS MAKE THE TOP 8?

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
This thread has become one of the staples of this forum that we trot out every single year and is symptomatic of the mediocrity we fans have come to accept from this club. The Storm and Roosters forum probably have an equivalent Premiership thread. Year on year we are happy to wonder about how we will scrape into the bottom of the top 8 barrel on mathmatical miracles.

I wonder why?

I think its more a realistic appreciation of where we sit in the comp and the the realisation that we just dont have a chance of regularly beating teams that actually are in the hunt.

Its depressing really. A decade of 'rebuilding' with no end in sight. Yipee...
It's a sad state really! At least when Daniel Anderson was coach we weren't a great team but fuck me we had real and pure heart, and just looked like they were having so much fun. Now everyone's trying to become these we'll drilled Storm systems without the coaching and players to pull it off instead of bucking the trend and inventing a style to combat that boring play.

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
injuries or not we have just about lost all the momentum and team belief we had built at last seasons end.
Unfortunately we are not the sort of team that has an injury ready capable replacement to slip into positions when needed..
Unless we turn some sort of miraculous corner, well a bottom 5 finish is looming

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
This thread has become one of the staples of this forum that we trot out every single year and is symptomatic of the mediocrity we fans have come to accept from this club. The Storm and Roosters forum probably have an equivalent Premiership thread. Year on year we are happy to wonder about how we will scrape into the bottom of the top 8 barrel on mathmatical miracles.

I wonder why?

I think its more a realistic appreciation of where we sit in the comp and the the realisation that we just dont have a chance of regularly beating teams that actually are in the hunt.

Its depressing really. A decade of 'rebuilding' with no end in sight. Yipee...
You cannot sign a bunch of guys in an off season to a club that has no winning culture and play the game on paper to a minor prems spot overnight.

It does not happen by osmosis.

Only the Melbourne storm have done this in my living memory and that was because the league gave them a complete cap exemption to promote the expansion into Victoria and Murdoch made sure they hired the best available players in the competition.

I do not know why fans do not get this. It makes me laugh when people compare us to the Roosters and the Storm.

Where the hell do people think closing the gap is going to happen? off season signings...four months of preseason with a core of losers (you cannot sign thirty players in an off-season) gives you the right to compare us to the Storm and Roosters fans?

Both the Roosters and the Storm enjoy a different Salary cap, they say it is legit because people want to play for free for them...whatever.....

Both those clubs have enjoyed elite coaching, the very best of the best.

The Warriors have Nathan Brown.

I think people need to wake up to themselves if they want to see things for what they really are after a quarter of a century.

I think if the Warriors make the 8 they would have exceeded expectations.

Next year we should be well down the path to becoming something good. Lets hope we sign some useful backs for next season to add to Walsh.

Last edited:

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
It's a sad state really! At least when Daniel Anderson was coach we weren't a great team but fuck me we had real and pure heart, and just looked like they were having so much fun. Now everyone's trying to become these we'll drilled Storm systems without the coaching and players to pull it off instead of bucking the trend and inventing a style to combat that boring play.
The good old days.

We used to get by on talent and athletic ability. Now the competition is more professional and that’s no longer enough. We will never go back to being top dog on talent alone. Brains and structure win when the teams are physically equal.

The only way forward is to get the professionalism up and then mixing it with our own flavour.

Reactions: Tragic and Rizzah

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
I was looking at our draw and how things are sitting after the first 8 rounds.

Last week Nathan Brown talked about the teams that are in 5th gear and this year its clearly looking like its the Panthers, Eels, Storm, Bunnies and the Roosters, though their season ending injury toll is now catastrophic.

Out of the next 16 games we play these teams a total of 4 times. And while no game is guaranteed (yes, even against the Doggies) we play the final 6 regular season games against teams currently below us on the ladder, some well below.

The best way to get to the level of those teams in 5th gear is to match up against them, so maybe that's not a good thing we are hardly playing them. But in terms of snatching 6th, 5th or even 4th spot its starting to look more realistic than it was at the beginning of the season, particularly with the news that we should have Addin Fonua-Blake back much earlier than originally thought and Aitken not far away. I'm feeling optimistic.

Last edited:

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012

Last week Nathan Brown talked about the teams that are in 5th gear and this year its clearly looking like its the Panthers, Eels, Storm, Bunnies and the Roosters, though their season ending injury toll is now catastrophic.

Out of the next 16 games we play these teams a total of 4 times. And while no game is guaranteed (yes, even against the Doggies) we play the final 6 regular season games against teams currently below us on the ladder, some well below.

The best way to get to the level of those teams in 5th gear is to match up against them, so maybe that's not a good thing we are hardly playing them. But in terms of snatching 6th, 5th or even 4th spot its starting to look more realistic than it was at the beginning of the season, particularly with the news that we should have Addin Fonua-Blake back much earlier than originally thought and Aitken not far away. I'm feeling optimistic.
Addin Fonua-Blake coming back changes everything.

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 4, 2018
The good old days.

We used to get by on talent and athletic ability. Now the competition is more professional and that’s no longer enough. We will never go back to being top dog on talent alone. Brains and structure win when the teams are physically equal.

The only way forward is to get the professionalism up and then mixing it with our own flavour.
This from Seibold is probably the best analysis I’ve seen that defines the smart teams from the rest..

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

Nice run down.

It is looking like Luck wins this NRL comp as much as anything with the horrific injury rates.

I prefer we have easy games this year. Hard games next year, we are in a rebuild not a full real deal assault at the title....and this team needs confidence, they need to beat up on a lot of teams to cement their combinations.

We will not really have any easy games anyway, since every team, no matter who, goes into Warriors matches confident they can win...because they all know us, they know we have psychological problems.

If we somehow manage to have Addin Fonua-Blake Ben Murdoch-Masila Walsh RTS Kodi Fus CHT Egan all fit at the end of the year we will be capable of beating every team in this comp, I am not saying we will, just saying we will clearly have the capability.

Players like Aitken and Hiku fit would be a massive bonus over and above that and we will all be very happy with where we place come years end.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Second half screw-up - and Cowboys rev-up - on Sunday aside, I see enough to say that if the boys keep their concentration up (no "oh, it's the Bulldogs, they suck, let's just cruise" attitude, which the 0-16 second half scoreline from the weekend should highlight as a very, very dangerous road to take), we'll be finalists.

Yeah, yeah, I hear the "But we're the Warriors! We should want more than just 'making the finals!'" crowd...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Melbourne_Storm_season

That's the rabble the 1998 Melbourne Storm started with.

We're not going to get that. We don't have that. You can bitch, moan, "salary cap cheat bastards" bleat (as I do) as much as you like, but them's the lack of breaks. So we have to build. First step: Regular. Finals. Football. Improve from there...

Anyway, good to see Walsh listed in NRL 360's Best 3 of The Round.

I'm watching on delay, so don't you guys ruin it for me! :)

Reactions: Sup42 and J_P

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
The Warriors were cruelled by injuries from Round 1, Fusitua, Aitken, Hiku, CHT, Katoa, Addin Fonua-Blake, JTB, Pompey and Lawton have all been out either short or long term, I include Lawton as he hasn't been replaced.

So if we step back and take stock of where we are. A 4-4 record is in my view acceptable, The Storm and Roosters were the games that the score line got away, both games where playing stocks were well down. Despite that putting 20 on the Storm was a positive.

It has also meant a group of players have got NRL experience earlier than might have been planned, and all have performed to an acceptable standard. I know someone will criticise some Rookie or other, but remember that players are individuals and develop at different speeds. What is more the confidence gained from the player and the Coaching staff in their ability is important. Until they are actually tested it is difficult to get a grip on where their development is at.

In the face of such injury cries in previous years they would have panic signed players, but with the new Recruitment team it isn't so hit and miss. No longer are they recruiting for instant success, they are investing in players who fit in the values set by the club over years, not weeks. That is how the Roosters and Storm do it.

There is a long way to go but this squad has more confidence about it than other years IMO.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Just checking the draw for our main competition for 6-8.

Far out the Dragons have a soft draw. Manly should come home with a wet sail. They had a brutal draw to start the year and are now on a pretty good run to the end. The Titans don't have it all their way, but the Raiders have a chance to come back into the fold if they can jag a couple of confidence building wins. The Knights had an easy start to the year, and a good end, so still may be a threat. The Sharks actually have a good draw from now.

It is funny actually that everyone's draws look okay largely down to the fact that there is only a handful of decent teams this year.

The last two weeks will be crucial for the Warriors with the Raiders and Titans. I'm feeling pretty good about being the early finals whipping boys though!

Pricey

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 2, 2016
Not really. We still don't have a full strength side out there. However there are clear gaps in our squad notably the hooker and our wing props which will make the team lose the close games.
Go rewatch the Dragons vs Warriors game when six guys got dropped and Fus played fullback the guy has some skills just been going through a bad patch of form, I do agree though we need at least one speedy winger.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
This weekends game against Manly will be a major hint as to can we make the top 8 - If Brown plays CHT I cannot see us winning and I do not think we will make the top 8. If CHT does not play then I can see us winning. To be honest it comes down to Brown selecting our best team which is obvious, but by him hinting at playing CHT then he is not picking our strongest team. I do not understand why coaches do not pick the best side each week. Happens in rugby too, where the likes of the Crusaders, and even the All Blacks rest players and that comes back to bite them. If you are a top level sports player you should be able to play each week as it's your job. I cannot tell my employer that I will not be working this week because I am tired. They would just laugh at me. But the Warriors best chance to make the top 8 is to not play CHT - there are far better players in the squad now so him making the 17 would be a joke

Reactions: xWarrior and Sledge

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
This weekends game against Manly will be a major hint as to can we make the top 8 - If Brown plays CHT I cannot see us winning and I do not think we will make the top 8. If CHT does not play then I can see us winning. To be honest it comes down to Brown selecting our best team which is obvious, but by him hinting at playing CHT then he is not picking our strongest team. I do not understand why coaches do not pick the best side each week. Happens in rugby too, where the likes of the Crusaders, and even the All Blacks rest players and that comes back to bite them. If you are a top level sports player you should be able to play each week as it's your job. I cannot tell my employer that I will not be working this week because I am tired. They would just laugh at me. But the Warriors best chance to make the top 8 is to not play CHT - there are far better players in the squad now so him making the 17 would be a joke
Wow that is a huge statement. Walsh has made a real impact and made everyone around him look better. Don't be fooled by that

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
Wow that is a huge statement. Walsh has made a real impact and made everyone around him look better. Don't be fooled by that
You are correct - Walsh has made an impact so why would they play CHT who has been given plenty of chances yet has done nothing. When CHT plays the attack is dead! so why would you even play CHT? just makes no sense does it?

Reactions: xWarrior

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
You are correct - Walsh has made an impact so why would they play CHT who has been given plenty of chances yet has done nothing. When CHT plays the attack is dead! so why would you even play CHT? just makes no sense does it?
Our attack has been dead since SJ left, with and without CHT. Chanel is not going to come in to the team and kill all our offence all of a sudden

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: zegy
Manly Sea Eagles Rate Match

Last Game

09 May

32 - 38
4.9 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 14 ratings