Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
While I wasn’t super excited about Hughes, I’m not seeing any better options coming off contract
View attachment 43828
Few good names in there though, Reynolds, Dearden, all down to how much we want to spend on a half and whether CHT is able to go next level in his game management. Paulie Turner is good value for money but we might need an older head in the spine to control the game if Chanel can't learn fast enough.

A CHT/Turner combo with Mitch Pearce would be my best bet for a serious finals threat, we're putting together the pack for a premiership window, just waiting to find out who the halves are going to be, hopefully this is Chanel's breakout season so we dont have to sign that aussie dogf%$#r.

Last edited:

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Few good names in there though, Reynolds, Dearden, all down to how much we want to spend on a half and whether CHT is able to go next level in his game management. Paulie Turner is good value for money but we might need an older head in the spine to control the game if Chanel can't learn fast enough.

A CHT/Turner combo with Mitch Pearce would be my best bet for a serious finals threat, we're putting together the pack for a premiership window, just waiting to find out who the halves are going to be, hopefully this is Chanel's breakout season so we dont have to sign that aussie dogf%$#r.
Not convinced on dearden while Pearce and Reynolds are both on the wrong side of 30 already.
I’d take a look at them for the right price but all things being equal I would’ve preferred Hughes.

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 1, 2015
Not convinced on dearden while Pearce and Reynolds are both on the wrong side of 30 already.
I’d take a look at them for the right price but all things being equal I would’ve preferred Hughes.
Yes we need experience like a Reynolds in our team to guide them and also develope CHT. It was very telling in last weeks trial game when we didnt even look like scoring in what i think it was 4 straight sets on titans goal line. Our pack can make 50-60metres a set but nothing much good comes out of it from the halves.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Well if we were buying him as a fullback I’m stoked we didn’t get him.
Just assumed we had him lined up for the 7.
The articles had us talking to him about playing in the halves which lead the discussion here around what would happen to the current halves and who would slot into fullback. Or who else we would need to recruit.

Think the articles also had we could use him in the halves or fullback. That sort of has us talking to him where we were saying the aim was one thing but he could end up somewhere else. Kind of like Jack Bird at the Broncos as an example, signed to play 6 ended up in the centres.

The article I read today read like signing with the Storm was a more stable option as he knew where he'd play. Said something like his transition from fullback to the halves as gone well and he was aiming to be one of the premier halves in the competition.

That last part he can't do if the club may slot him into fullback if they don't find someone else.

Reactions: HoRneT041

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
In my opinion what those lists show me is 2 things, first we under rate some of our players like CHT, even if he isn't better than last year he is the equal of most on those lists. The second is we tend to over rate players from outside.
My work does the same thing. Gush over the training new staff have had instead of training the guys they have already.

I like Hughes he doesn't come off as just an athlete more like a guy keen to play footy and be involved around the ball. There is a blessing to all of this as the season hasn't started yet. We haven't seen how the current guys go under the new coach, systems or respond to the new players around them.

Most recruitment occurs during the season where you can see if a player you have still fits your needs and if they need to be replaced. Or they are assessed post season and moved on.

I can understand looking at fullback options this far out as there is a player moving on. We were talking to him as a half opton.

Reactions: JP_576 and Fazz

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Going by the five-eights off contract I’d be inclined to go back to SJ provided he can prove his fitness this year.

I know the club have apparently rejected the idea but they just need to suck it up. Feel like he still has a few good years left in him. Thought he proved a real tactician on the right edge last year, deft kicking and passing game, very selective and solid.

Certainly worth Hughes money surely.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
I’m not disappointed that Hughes won’t be coming here. I think he plays well at the Storm , but have doubts as to weather he’d succeed at the Warriors. Expectations would have been very high.

Warrior#214

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 13, 2016
AK
next james vick GIF by UFC

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 1, 2015
Why are people thinking that kodi is off contract at the end of 2021? Its getting mentioned on this forum and from media.

bringmethehorizon

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
North Shore
Why are people thinking that kodi is off contract at the end of 2021? Its getting mentioned on this forum and from media.
Isn't it because he has an option in his favour for 2022?
So no actual contract in place for next season.
Someone also posted that the NRL.com contract page has recently removed Kodi's player option for 2022.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Last Game

09 Apr

12 - 13
5.0 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 22 ratings