Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
A lot depends on if the Raiders have or get someone they feel is better than CNK.

They signed a Panthers FB so there's competition there.

No chance until they secure their FB spot.

Paleaaesina2the20

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 6, 2013
Melbourne
I reckon we’ll get Hughes- he’s no spring chicken (in nrl terms) he’ll be 27 next year and it’ll be his first big contract- he’s already won a premiership so I can see him taking the the cash.
Hopefully, but in a report I saw, the difference between the offer we have made vs the Storm only differed by around $150k per year. I think we offered 3 years $2.45m and the Storm offered 3 years 2m. on that scale, it isn't a huge pay cut to take to stay put at a Championship club where you are settled, not have to uplift your life to another country.

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
Was watching an interview with Katie Brown (nrl reporter) she said that CNK to warriors is really likely and to watch this space for 2022 because all his family is in nz including his kids 👀
Skip to 16 mins
Haven't watched this yet but Katie Brown is very well connected and from what I saw was a really credible journalist before moving to radio and tv/podcast stuff so even though it's only another rumour it has to at least be being considered I would think

Reactions: Woofa and JP_576

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Hopefully, but in a report I saw, the difference between the offer we have made vs the Storm only differed by around $150k per year. I think we offered 3 years $2.45m and the Storm offered 3 years 2m. on that scale, it isn't a huge pay cut to take to stay put at a Championship club where you are settled, not have to uplift your life to another country.
True but it’s still half a million $s at the end of the day plus Smith is gone and sounds like it’ll be Bellamy’s last year there (who I’d imagine he’d feel a bit indebted too) so there’s a little uncertainty for the storm moving forward.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
True but it’s still half a million $s at the end of the day plus Smith is gone and sounds like it’ll be Bellamy’s last year there (who I’d imagine he’d feel a bit indebted too) so there’s a little uncertainty for the storm moving forward.
Agreed, It’s the only rumor that actually holds any water at the moment. Storm could be a very different beast from next year on minus Bellamy and Jason Ryles who has left for English rugby. He may well have already signed with us as someone on LU suggested, just waiting on the cooling off period to elapse.

Qlder

Warriors Bench Player
Aug 21, 2012
It will probably come down to what his manager, Chris Orr is advising him:
- he's probably got two contracts left in his NRL career given he's 27 years old
- his previous stints at the Titans and Cowboys weren't overly flash and he's just come right at the Storm
- he could either stay at the Storm, try for another premiership and gain more experience, which could set him up for a reasonable pay day in his final contract or go for broke with the Warriors (settling back into a new country (it's been 8 years), new team, new coach, less stable environment with the international travel every couple of weeks vs domestic travel).

His manager has done exceptionally well in promoting Jarome's current market value, given the Storm have come back with a good counter-offer.

Qlder

Warriors Bench Player
Aug 21, 2012
If we get Hughes, CNK is a no right? We can't afford both of them I would think.
It's still a possibility I would think - Roger's money for 2022 is available, there are 3-4 players (if I recall correctly) coming off contract at the end of 2021, additional salary cap $ for 2022, plus the possibility of Kodi not taking up his option for 2022. Roger's $ would be spent on the Tohu contract upgrade, possibly someone of Jarome Hughes calibre and some contract upgrades. The money for CNK would have to come from reducing the expenditure for the contract extensions for the players coming off contract 2021/or their replacement players, plus any increase in the salary cap from 2021 - 2022. Additionally, are the Warriors carrying any residual 2021 costs for Adam Blair, even though he has retired, which would mean more $ in the cap space for 2022?

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
RTS $1.1m + Nikorima $500k = $1.6m available

Hughes $800k + CNK $600k + Harris upgrade $200k = $1.6m
Why does everyone assume that we have to upgrade Harris? He came here off the back of some outstanding form for Melbourne on big money. He is a great player but I don’t think at the back end of his career his value has necessarily increased?

Woofa

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 25, 2013
Auckland
please explain to me how he was ignored by mooks when cnk came out n said he did everything to try and keep him but he cnk wanted be a full back not centre

so was not going get that with rts

the likely hood og cnk getting out of 3 year deal will be pretty much not going be happening
A good coach seems to find a way to keep these players in a team. How many players want to play fullback are playing another position?

bringmethehorizon

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
North Shore
Why does everyone assume that we have to upgrade Harris? He came here off the back of some outstanding form for Melbourne on big money. He is a great player but I don’t think at the back end of his career his value has necessarily increased?
I'd guess it's the same as any of us at our own employment, we'd expect a pay rise after 3 years of good work.
Maybe it's not as big as a $200k increase. But maybe 25-75k a year?

There were the rumours last year that he wanted to go back to aus, maybe there are some offers out there that we have to at least match

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Maybe it's not as big as a $200k increase. But maybe 25-75k a year?

There were the rumours last year that he wanted to go back to aus, maybe there are some offers out there that we have to at least match
Yep $200k would be high, I recall we paid $750k a season for Ryan Hoffman so would of think Tohu would have been offered similar money.

He’d be close to his market value already, small upgrade possibly, with his form last season and the additional Captaincy role I think that’d be fair. Someone suggested a while ago that upgrading Tohu wouldn’t leave enough in the pot for Manu which is rubbish.

Reactions: Worried2Death

geepee

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 27, 2016
maybe the case but others contracts would of gone up that aint on the same level he is thats why his would go up

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
maybe the case but others contracts would of gone up that aint on the same level he is thats why his would go up
Maybe so if the Salary cap hadn’t been reduced back to where it was several years ago because of COVID.

Currently clubs are saving just under $600k a season on salaries over the next two years.

Reactions: Swanny and Rizzah

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
Yep $200k would be high, I recall we paid $750k a season for Ryan Hoffman so would of think Tohu would have been offered similar money.

He’d be close to his market value already, small upgrade possibly, with his form last season and the additional Captaincy role I think that’d be fair. Someone suggested a while ago that upgrading Tohu wouldn’t leave enough in the pot for Manu which is rubbish.

One of those articles that estimates salaries (I think it was daily telegraph) previously had him on 850k, which left him as one of the highest paid forwards, and non spine players in the game. I think he is highly valuable to the Warriors but my point is that I don’t think it will be necessary to throw more money at him. I think it will come down to length of contract and where he wants to base himself

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
The best way to judge a player is to analyse what the team would be like without him. To me Harris is one of 'glue' players that hold a squad together, particularly the forwards. His ability to play 80 and operate equally well in the middle or on an edge gives variety and saves interchanges.

He is, using that overused term, an elite player and his contract should reflect that.

geepee

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 27, 2016
well question is then no rts and was on a mil and tohu is the next best, in our side if not on same level and a captain shouldnt he be reward. sure way not to see him here if hes not rewarded more than just giving him contract at same rate

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
The prevailing thinking is that the big money should be in the spine players. Warriors experience has taught us that not any big boofhead off the street can carry out the role of a middle. Those forwards who can lead and inspire have been pivotal in both codes, Arthur Beetson, Mark Graham, Reuben Wiki, etc.

Sometimes I think that the spine has become so important because the tendency has been to play big barging type Centres, rather than those with good distribution skills, that is Hiku's point of difference.

If you have that then less emphasis is on the spine to create everything. That is why I am concerned about Aitken's passing game, it may well be that despite his power running Hayze may be a better option. Time will tell.

Unlike others I am confident about CHT, I thought he came on well last year and can be better this year.

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
well question is then no rts and was on a mil and tohu is the next best, in our side if not on same level and a captain shouldnt he be reward. sure way not to see him here if hes not rewarded more than just giving him contract at same rate

Take a breath, slow down and think about your words. There could be some valid points in there but it’s very hard to tell.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Upcoming Match

Manly Sea Eagles Central Coast Stadium, Gosford Rate Match

Last Game

09 Apr

12 - 13
5.3 Total Avg Rating
10.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 18 ratings