Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Wow we signed kosi. Warriors aren't done with propwings

How much of people's apathy to his signing is down to this? Fans are just craving a different type of winger and Kosi is subjected to the hangover of that. I wasn't overly impressed by his first couple of games, but a lot of wingers struggle for defensive positioning when they enter FG. Hopefully they work really hard on it over the off season (with someone competent).

It feels meh because we are looking out for a couple of big name signings, but it is vital that we develop our own youth otherwise we are going nowhere long term.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Ratuva has been injured most the time he should get the opportunity over Kosi because he has speed something we've lacked over the years
Kosi looked faster off the mark from what I saw this year

Obviously a long injury lay off for Ratuva wouldn’t of helped

Ratuva has elite top end speed but is very exploitable in the fact that he is slow to turn and isn’t quick off the mark

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
How much of people's apathy to his signing is down to this? Fans are just craving a different type of winger and Kosi is subjected to the hangover of that. I wasn't overly impressed by his first couple of games, but a lot of wingers struggle for defensive positioning when they enter FG. Hopefully they work really hard on it over the off season (with someone competent).

It feels meh because we are looking out for a couple of big name signings, but it is vital that we develop our own youth otherwise we are going nowhere long term.
I think the problem is that we have lacked finishers. Most teams in the league are opting for larger wingers bordering on prop wing territory. The difference with them is that they actually score tries.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
…meanwhile in other off season developments Pre season training has gone to another level of intensity …

Was it Charlie Gubb who ran through a cheap brick wall in a promotional video to aid recruitment ? Some diff

Who are our warriors junior pathway players in the 30
jazz
Kosi
Shaun Johnson
Otukulo
Vaillea
Berry
Katoa
Ale

8 out of 30
Is that a good percentage relative to the top teams ?

Reactions: wizards rage

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
He'll be playing Q Cup unless there's an injury crisis. I like him, a budget Fusitua on minimum wage, massive unit with speed to burn, and most importantly a quick learner. Seeing him break down after a loss spoke volumes about his attitude to me. Give him a year and he could be a weapon on half of Fusitua's contract, smart cap rebalance.

I agree. I really like that he looks like one of the first Warrior backs to realise he is a monster compared to his opponent when his opponent is running at him.

You really have to go back to Francis Meli to see a Winger that knew he was well capable of timing a smash on his opponent and using all his speed and size to terrorize opposition runners.

He is a natural big hitter.

There is a lot of work needed to teach him structure in defence and in attack.

It is not a poor reflection on Kosi that he does not have a clue, he is a bit like bringing in an athlete that has been playing a different sport all of his life and needs a cramming study in the game.

I am very happy they are going to find out what he can do. He looked better as he went along, you can see he could be an absolute beast and he gets back up when he has been smacked.

I am sick of these brown vanilla over grown lumps we have been running who play like midgets in defence and in a one on one in attack.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
I agree. I really like that he looks like one of the first Warrior backs to realise he is a monster compared to his opponent when his opponent is running at him.

You really have to go back to Francis Meli to see a Winger that knew he was well capable of timing a smash on his opponent and using all his speed and size to terrorize opposition runners.

He is a natural big hitter.

There is a lot of work needed to teach him structure in defence and in attack.

It is not a poor reflection on Kosi that he does not have a clue, he is a bit like bringing in an athlete that has been playing a different sport all of his life and needs a cramming study in the game.

I am very happy they are going to find out what he can do. He looked better as he went along, you can see he could be an absolute beast and he gets back up when he has been smacked.

I am sick of these brown vanilla over grown lumps we have been running who play like midgets in defence and in a one on one in attack.
I reckon he could really kick on with the confidence the club re signing him could give him. Looked to be building a nice combination with Berry for Redcliffe.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
I’m ok with the Kosi signing, pretty much all our home grown wingers have had shaky starts to their careers. Seems to have a good attitude and won’t be on big money so very little risk.

Adds some much needed size as well especially if Aitken moves to the forwards. Montoya is ok at a hit up, but Walsh, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Berry and Vailea aren’t going to kick start a set at this stage very well.
Remember wanting Vatuvei to never play again after his early days, Fusitua started off average with a shit attitude. There are also the misi Taulapapa’s of the world too I guess

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Was it Charlie Gubb who ran through a cheap brick wall in a promotional video to aid recruitment ? Some diff

Who are our warriors junior pathway players in the 30
jazz
Kosi
Shaun Johnson
Otukulo
Vaillea
Berry
Katoa
Ale

8 out of 30
Is that a good percentage relative to the top teams ?
I'd say it's pretty damn good, really. I don't subscribe to the idea that the Warriors should ignore the local Kiwi boys and just sign Aussies but nor do I subscribe to the idea that the Warriors sign and invest money and time in local juniors no matter what. Roughly 30% of the Top 30 is pretty damn good. However you feel about them as players, Jazz, Shaun have certainly "made it". The issue is the other 6. Can they "make it"? Will being at the Warriors hinder or help that "making it"? Will those 6 be big for the Warriors or some other clubs? That's the I'd-say-million-dollar-but-I'm-sure-8-times-one-million-busts-the-salary-cap question.

Incidentally, why doesn't Harris-Tavita qualify?

Question two for the evening and, yes, alcohol is involved: Why is it that Tohu Harris earns himself another Harris after his name on this website?! Is being a Harris some kind of big thing here?

If money's involved I'm happy to be a Harris, most certainly!

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
I reckon he could really kick on with the confidence the club re signing him could give him. Looked to be building a nice combination with Berry for Redcliffe.
I agree. I saw real improvement across the season and he has talent. Inexperience was really exposed in the first few games, which will come right with age. He seemed to have the right attitude!

Good value for money depth player with solid potential given more time and development.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
I'd say it's pretty damn good, really. I don't subscribe to the idea that the Warriors should ignore the local Kiwi boys and just sign Aussies but nor do I subscribe to the idea that the Warriors sign and invest money and time in local juniors no matter what. Roughly 30% of the Top 30 is pretty damn good. However you feel about them as players, Jazz, Shaun have certainly "made it". The issue is the other 6. Can they "make it"? Will being at the Warriors hinder or help that "making it"? Will those 6 be big for the Warriors or some other clubs? That's the I'd-say-million-dollar-but-I'm-sure-8-times-one-million-busts-the-salary-cap question.

Incidentally, why doesn't Harris-Tavita qualify?

Question two for the evening and, yes, alcohol is involved: Why is it that Tohu Harris earns himself another Harris after his name on this website?! Is being a Harris some kind of big thing here?

If money's involved I'm happy to be a Harris, most certainly!
Good catch
Chanel Harris-Tavita makes 9 and the percentage to 30%
Do you have a feeling we are overly loyal to our junior pathways players and keep them on the books too long ?
or do you think we get the balance right ?

Reactions: francis

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Good catch
Do you have a feeling we are overly loyal to our junior pathways players and keep them on the books too long ?
Bunty also.

I’d say we have been getting the right mix. Some goood, some bad.

Juniors/full time squad members that have been allowed to leave in last two years: Turner, Perham, Fusitua, Maumalo, Papalii, Lisone, Vagana, Glamuzina, Roache, Ravutaumada, Tyler Slade, Israel Ogden.

Haven’t included juniors that have left and come back then left again i.e. Hiku, Paasi etc

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
Good catch

Its been easier to convince a Kiwi to stay in NZ than to get an Australian to move to NZ. It just makes sense the team will have have a relatively high junior retention rate.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Good catch
I'd say in terms of numbers, we're okay. The issue is quality and that we're being loyal to the junior pathways out of necessity rather than choice.

I'll have the wine biscuit if there's no Tim-Tam, but if there is...

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Theres been lots of talks about the halves merry go-round currently with Pearce, Brooks and the rest of them.

There’s an article about Corey Norman being looked at for the Knights, as well as Scott Drinkwater, given that he will likely be behind Townsend, Dearden and Hammer at fb.

Depending on the situation with Metcalf, if he doesn’t come here I’d be pretty stoked to get Drinkwater. Has a good kicking and running game, somewhat erratic but jeeze he can carve up at times

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Theres been lots of talks about the halves merry go-round currently with Pearce, Brooks and the rest of them.

There’s an article about Corey Norman being looked at for the Knights, as well as Scott Drinkwater, given that he will likely be behind Townsend, Dearden and Hammer at fb.

Depending on the situation with Metcalf, if he doesn’t come here I’d be pretty stoked to get Drinkwater. Has a good kicking and running game, somewhat erratic but jeeze he can carve up at times
Good call, has an error or two in him but can put a play on too. I get the feeling we have Metcalf locked already from ‘23, challenge will be early for ‘22.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021

I have been drinking from the drinkwater tap for the last three years.

I don’t know why his own team and fans don’t rate him. The cowboys fans don’t like him when I go on their forum. I think they don’t like the fact he doesn’t show up sometimes.
But for my money he is quite consistent.
I hope we are in this conversation. If we end up shipping out Chanel Harris-Tavita and getting back drinkwater that would be sweet.
As a final note just because I can. I think Chanel Harris-Tavita played decent this year. I also think his defence is, and this will be hard to swallow for some, quite underrated on this site. His defence is not just good or solid. He is the best defensive half in the nrl and I could make a case that there are not any centre’s much better than him at defence. He would be for me the best back I have seen in my life at putting a defensive hit on. His hits are simply stunning and breathtaking and they lift the whole team and terrify the opposition.
Some people say his defence shouldn’t count in evaluating him as a half. I disagree. I don’t think he deserves many points for his defence but does deserve some credit just like kodi gets points subtracted for being complete and utter shit at defence.
Chts defence is at Demi God level. One of his hits this year made me physically jump out of my seat. He stopped a 5 on 3 overlap by knocking the opponent into the northern hemisphere.
All that pumping him up, drinkwater is better. I think we should be working the phone and leveraging Chanel Harris-Tavita who is most definitely a tradeable asset that multiple teams would like to have. A year in an Australian system and they can definitely CNK him to another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings