Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
I like how he mentioned we would be looking for an experienced outside back who can cover fullback or hooker. Love listening to POS. Everything he says makes sense and its a good feeling that we have someone who knows what they're doing. In past times we would have went out and splashed the cash without any patience whereas with POS, we have cash, extra squad spot and a seemingly more balanced team with competition for spots. We were poor in the forwards, he fixed it up, now one of the better packs in the NRL, last year had halves issues and props for wingers he brings in a top tier half in Shaun Johnson and quality competition in Chanel Harris-Tavita, Taylor and Nikorima. Then gets rid of the prop wing ideology and brings in genuine wingers in Montoya and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak. Just loving it. and looking forward to see what he can bring us for 2023.

Last edited:

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
A few points I took away:
Fusitua asked to be able to negotiate with other clubs - tbh I feel that’s a bit of a kick in the teeth. Paid handsomely by the club, have let him go home last year and played nothing this year in the hopes of getting better. The only thing I can guess at, is maybe like Maumalo he’s been told he doesn’t feature in our plans? Still, would have preferred he took the Bunty route and dig in and prove his mettle.

Still on the look out for a 9. Imo with Otokulu coming through that doesn’t bode well for Egan. I said a while ago, but I think with all the options off contract for 2023 being able to talk in November, it feels like we need to have already made up our mind on what we’re doing moving forward. Are we spending more and looking for a top hooker, or going to stick with Egan moving forward? Sounds like the former

Cheap experienced outside back - yes please. Immediate thought was Isaako, on the outer at Brisbane and a kiwi, could pick him up cheap. I’m not a big fan but if he’s someone whose filling a whole, would struggle to think of others in this mould.

Sounds like the few things Ash has to do are pretty simple, basically don’t come back as a fatty and you’re sweet. Would be interesting to see if he doesn’t get an opportunity with the new club, would he stick it out with us? Sounds like that’s what the Warriors are wondering too, but sounds like he’ll get lots of game time next year if he wants it, balls absolutely in his court

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Good to hear one of the main goals for Taylor is to get his weight down. Less weight he should be a bit more mobile and help with his speed. Should help getting him close to his best form.

The Fusitua part was interesting. More the part about asking to look around. If he comes back that he has found a club we may be able to get by without paying any freight or at least lessen the impact. The new club would likely be pushing for us to play part of the contract as it helps their books.

The last part about Redcliffe was interesting, more the Warriors will need to sort out a reserve grade side for 2023. He's going to be busy organising that next year, hopefully we are back in Auckland by 2023. Or there is travel between the two countries so he can review the locals.

kos

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2013
Reckon Taylor's goals are just to play 3 good games in a row, just do enough to get signed by Brisbane or Redcliffe, secure another undeserved contract and go back to bludging again. All without having to move house. Sort of a cut price version of the Keiran Foran signing for us, injury, 2 good games, injury, absurd bulldogs contracts, calls it a day.

3 good games isn't the worst for a minimum wage half though
Taylor is better than that.

Wheels

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 30, 2021
Taylor is better than that.
Yep I think Taylor is much better than that also. I am curious to see whether he will be placed alongside Johnson or a replacement for Johnson. Both have similar games. Personally I think having them both on the field is a great thing as long as both are fit. Even without Metcalf there is good competition in the halves as no one has nailed down a position except possibly Johnson at the start of the competition.

Ref

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Rotorua
Does he or is he a natural who may just be NRL ready at the start of 2022.
If Egan goes down preseason he won't be 20 at seasons start and covid interrupted development. He has 125 mins 1st grade experience. So , no, I don't think he's ready to play big minutes as a starting hooker.
Do you?
[/QUOTE]

Some young guys have come in and gunned it
straight away. Okay I am more optimistic than realistic but Otukolo looked like a natural to me and I think he is a chance to usurp Egan before round one 2022

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
The Fusitua fit and motivated would tick FB, Wing and Centre boxes, really the question of him being overpaid is due a lot to how he performs. Seems a win win for the club, either a high quality player or a lot of cash freed up.

AT is another win, I have no doubt he will meet the requirements and will be an X factor for us.

I would re sign SO'S, he did enough for an upgrade IMO, not a huge one. Both Kodi and Chanel Harris-Tavita can cover that 14 jersey if required.

The biggest issue for me from last season is injury management has to improve, quite frankly, it was not good enough.

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
As I've said before, PoS was our best signing.

People were up in arms about "jobs for the buys" with his family members signed, but we needed both and got both at bargin rates.
The Sean O'Sullivan is surplus to requirements if we get Metcalf and so hasn't been signed.
That shows PoS 1st loyalty is to the club.

The Fusitua situation again shows how shrewd he is. We are desperate to have him back at his marque best, and probably got told so. If he can make it happen, it's a win. But PoS also knows if he doesn't, we need that cap space back, and it's a big impediment to the club with Fusitua taking up so much $$..

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
As I've said before, PoS was our best signing.

People were up in arms about "jobs for the buys" with his family members signed, but we needed both and got both at bargin rates.
The Sean O'Sullivan is surplus to requirements if we get Metcalf and so hasn't been signed.
That shows PoS 1st loyalty is to the club.

The Fusitua situation again shows how shrewd he is. We are desperate to have him back at his marque best, and probably got told so. If he can make it happen, it's a win. But PoS also knows if he doesn't, we need that cap space back, and it's a big impediment to the club with Fusitua taking up so much $$..
Makes you wonder, hearing his son is still around, whether that article about nepotism made PO’S a bit nervous. Especially since he went to lengths to make sure it’s known CG and Brown will be making the decision about his son’s contract. I agree with you, the Warriors greatest signing.

Wheels

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 30, 2021
And if he were here he would destroy the nrl with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightening from his arse.

Is he any good at fb? We nred a plan to have reece at 5/8 asap
He is probably a better more natural FB than halve. I recently watched some clips of him because didn't know what the fuss was about! He runs similar lines to Walsh from Full back and would be great cover...

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
The Fusitua part was interesting. More the part about asking to look around.

Is this a more classy version of the Johnson v George battle? Fusitua isn't being told he can look around, which I understand Johnson was, which always felt to me like a "See how little everyone else rates you, because we rate you less than before, most definitely. Less money and/or less seasons. Everyone will say the same or worse. And then you'll come back to the negotiating table a tad more humble, wot-wot?" rub-it-in-your-face move...

This feels like the club are keeping their mouths shut about what they might be prepared to offer Fusitua, they'd be fine if he found out for himself.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Is this a more classy version of the Johnson v George battle? Fusitua isn't being told he can look around, which I understand Johnson was, which always felt to me like a "See how little everyone else rates you, because we rate you less than before, most definitely. Less money and/or less seasons. Everyone will say the same or worse. And then you'll come back to the negotiating table a tad more humble, wot-wot?" rub-it-in-your-face move...

This feels like the club are keeping their mouths shut about what they might be prepared to offer Fusitua, they'd be fine if he found out for himself.
What negotiating table? He is signed until end of 2023. Its not like he will say 'oh im worth less on the open market...can we agree to reduce my already signed contract'.

Let him find a deal. Pay if we need to, to move him on. Not worth anywhere close to what hes on. I am sure even he is aware of that. Not his fault he was offered that much to resign. I am so glad that the club is more shrewder in its use of the salary cap these days. Was mind numbing what this club was signing off on only a few years back. Thank god there is someone with half a brain at the club doing the recruitment.

Last edited:

rugged

1st Grade Fringe
May 1, 2012
Still playing the Walsh into the halves game are we? Going to be a long offseason.

It may very well happen one day, but it won't be 2022.
Guilty. If others are stuck records about Chanel Harris-Tavita then I am definitely one about moving Walsh to the halves. I suspect you are right and we wont see it in the near future. Just hope he doesn't get too beat up at the back ala Ryan Pap

Reactions: matiunz

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Guilty. If others are stuck records about Chanel Harris-Tavita then I am definitely one about moving Walsh to the halves. I suspect you are right and we wont see it in the near future. Just hope he doesn't get too beat up at the back ala Ryan Pap

We all have our thing.

Without Maumalo I don't really have anything to vent about. So I'll just sit on my high horse and judge everyone else instead.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings