Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
Id rather see first how KN and CHT will go this season. Im hearing alot about cheese talking shit about the warriors on his livestream. Saying "F@ck the warriors" and "Hughes will ruin his career there". Cheese can you plz ask RTS (2018 DALLY M) and tohu harris (2020 2nd ROWER OF THE YEAR) how their careers are going?
Something doesn't feel right with Kodi. Maybe cause he was a rushed gap filler from Sj. Not sure who I want or what type of player but I reckon POS has someone in mind that isn't Kodi

Ohgeelowk

Warriors Bench Player
Nov 24, 2020
Something doesn't feel right with Kodi. Maybe cause he was a rushed gap filler from Sj. Not sure who I want or what type of player but I reckon POS has someone in mind that isn't Kodi
I agree with that chat, but let’s hope chanel becomes the organising half we’re all hoping he’ll become behind our pack of monsters, leaving kodi to pick his moments. Kodi is up there with Munster ball in hand with momentum, he’s also a good back up to kick goals. But I’m also keen to see what he can do behind our pack too, can’t wait to see him off the back off Addin Fonua-Blake, bmm and katoa!!

JP_576

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
He was on 9 news last night a bit pissy about Cam Smith not letting them know what’s going on, mentioned he and Harry Grant were happy to share the role but if Smith stated he would have to put on more muscle and play lock which wasn’t ideal for him as it was hampering his chances to play hooker “for another club and his country”. 9 also mentioned other ‘young stars’ were likely to leave if Smith stayed
Has Cam smith still not let them know? Last I read back in December was that it's likely he'll retire, thought it would've been official by now what he's doing?

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Wonder if he thought hitting the market, the Warriors would come chasing? Sounds like he’s buying into the hype around him a bit much. Hope to see him go to a team and play at hooker at least, better for the Kiwis team.
I don't want the club to chase Cheese at all. Incredibly overpriced in the market right now.

They should throw some support behind Egan, I'm feeling a breakout season on the cards.

With Lawton going down, there's potentially a massive opportunity for Kalepo or Otukolo to get minutes in the second half of the season.

I would way rather gamble on the potential on those two young guys plus Egan, than splash $800k+ for Brandon Smith.

Last edited:

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
I don't want the club to chase Cheese at all. Incredibly overpriced in the market right now.

They should throw some support behind Egan, I'm feeling a breakout season on the cards.

With Lawton going down, there's potentially a massive opportunity for Kalepo or Otukolo to get minutes in the second half of the season.

I would way rather gamble on the potential on those two young guys plus Egan, then splash $800k+ for Brandon Smith.
Warriors historically have always done well with lesser names in the 9 position, A Herimia, G Gattis, M Betham, J Death. I'm happy with how Egan was going last year to say he's ready to take his place, agree! Let's see the youngsters step up.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019

I would way rather gamble on the potential on those two young guys plus Egan, then splash $800k+ for Brandon Smith.
Completely agree. I’ve done a total 180 in hoping the Warriors would pursue Smith. Seems like there’s a buzz in the club around Egan, looks fit as. Also really like the muscle on Temple Kalepo in a picture on the preseason thread. Reminds me of roaches build.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
Let’s be honest, of all the players that have left the Storm, how many have been great elsewhere? Cronk, Inglis and Harris are all I can think of and Cronk moved from the best team to the 2nd best.

I’d be very wary of spending big money on either Smith or Hughes, given the fact that a lot of their role players have flopped on good coin outside the Storm system. Neilson and Hoffman would be the two shining examples of this here at the Warriors.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Also really like the muscle on Temple Kalepo in a picture on the preseason thread. Reminds me of roaches build.
Otukolo is bigger with more muscle than Kalepo despite being a year younger. Both have first grade ready bodies, which makes me more comfortable with them getting first grade minutes this season if Egan goes down.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Agree and a shortened season at that.

The dollar value attached to young players by managers these days is spinning out of control. Good luck to V’landys trying to pull these agents into line.

Asking 700k under a newly reduced salary cap is about 200k over for a young Center learning the ropes that managed to hit a small patch of form.

Seems like every young kid these days is the next superstar.
This high price for rookies might be the new normal ..It seems most teams are putting more eggs into less baskets these days.So any young player coming through has a bigger investment of time an resources put into them ..Look at our own Rocko as an example . Obviously the club has earmarked him an heavily invested in his development .
An a lot of these rookies are making an immediate impact on the competition..
The question is not whether stage is worth it .The question is how much do we want to spend on a center..

Reactions: Worried2Death

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas

I would way rather gamble on the potential on those two young guys plus Egan, than splash $800k+ for Brandon Smith.
100% - and the more he speaks the more comfortable I am with us not recruiting him at all. Seems to overly comfortable in trying to play the lovable rogue but it’s not coming off too endearing at all.

I can only go by what’s reported but if the F the Warriors comments, Hughes comments and others are accurate, not sure he’d be a great cultural fit outside the iron binds of Melbourne.

I say no thanks.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
100% - and the more he speaks the more comfortable I am with us not recruiting him at all. Seems to overly comfortable in trying to play the lovable rogue but it’s not coming off too endearing at all.

I can only go by what’s reported but if the F the Warriors comments, Hughes comments and others are accurate, not sure he’d be a great cultural fit outside the iron binds of Melbourne.

I say no thanks.
I’ve done a bit of a u-turn on him, big fan of him as a player but as a person he’s becoming increasingly unlikeable for mine. Not sure if he would be a positive influence at the club

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
I would honestly prefer having my least favourite signing of all time Kieran Foran back at the club than sign B. Smith. It’s hopefully just an act, however he comes across as completely ignorant. Anyway he’s not coming here so who really cares.

bringmethehorizon

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
North Shore
I’d be very wary of spending big money on either Smith or Hughes, given the fact that a lot of their role players have flopped on good coin outside the Storm system. Neilson and Hoffman would be the two shining examples of this here at the Warriors.
TODD LOWRIE!!!!

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
This high price for rookies might be the new normal ..It seems most teams are putting more eggs into less baskets these days.So any young player coming through has a bigger investment of time an resources put into them ..Look at our own Rocko as an example . Obviously the club has earmarked him an heavily invested in his development .
An a lot of these rookies are making an immediate impact on the competition..
The question is not whether stage is worth it .The question is how much do we want to spend on a center..
I believe that theory would ultimately lead to imbalance within the roster because at the end of the day your paying top end money for talented but unproven players.

The nature of the Nrl is a yearly grind rather than a short exhibition. Investing large chunks of our salary on rookie players as a recruitment strategy would be flawed. It’s consistency we‘re chasing and rookies don’t generally provide that.

It’s important we develop our own depth, you mention Rocco Berry. He sounds like a talent and could have a breakout year, which if it’s the case is why we should lock him down early much like we did with Eli Katoa. The Broncos should’ve upgraded Katoni Staggs earlier but their cap was tied up in the wrong players.

They’re actually a classic case of having plenty of shiny things but no hardened resolve. A lesson in what not to do with a salary cap and roster management.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings