Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
I don’t think any recruits are going to help us until we get a new coach. I would start by making Shane Flanagan assistant and after we have another poor start next year move him into head coach and punt browny.
Him been assistant to Mary McGregor worked well. He never got retained by the dragons. So don't wish for something that could turn pit to be for the worse.

Personally, I wouldn't have anywhere near the club. Leave him to commentating on Fox sports

Reactions: Diesel

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
Him been assistant to Mary McGregor worked well. He never got retained by the dragons. So don't wish for something that could turn pit to be for the worse.

Personally, I wouldn't have anywhere near the club. Leave him to commentating on Fox sports
He still wasn’t allowed to become head coach at the time, he was stilll banned. It was Griffin that didn’t want him as an assistant

Reactions: bruce

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
A few of those close losses this year go our way we finish 6th.

We were a lot better team this year than the results suggested, just need to close out those tight games better.

It was Browns first year as coach and he has really upgraded the squad this year.

Most of you on here are deluded and think we can get some super coach or that any other coach will make a positive difference.

We are on the right path and we have a bloody good team now and lets be honest we were cheated out of quite a few wins this year by reffing, I know other teams cop it but we cop it basically every single week and something needs to be done about it.

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch

Most of you on here are deluded
With our terrible points differential we needed 8 more wins to finish 6th 🤣
Thinking we could've won all 14 of our games that were decided by 8 points or less is delusional. Even if we'd have had Cooper Cronk & DCE in the halves the reality is you can't win every single close match. Realistically 2/3rd is a tough ask

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Thinking we could've won all 14 of our games that were decided by 8 points or less is delusional. Even if we'd have had Cooper Cronk & DCE in the halves the reality is you can't win every single close match. Realistically 2/3rd is a tough ask
Great points but there is not much between a successful and failed season.

1 more try per game and 1 try saved on defence and any of the the mid level teams could become top 6. Sounds easy aye 😉

That’s got to be the aim going forward, not just to scrape through a few tight game and turn them to wins.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013

He was basically head coaching the team from the assistant role. He was pulling all the strings.

Mary didn’t like it and Dragons weren’t allowed to promote him to head coach because of the ban so they let him go.

Reactions: Tony Martin

Wheels

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 30, 2021
If having a great spine is a key indicator on a teams performance over a whole season then next year we can expect much of the same as this year (mediocre results) with Walsh at 1, Johnson at 7, Chanel at 6 and Egan/Kodi at 9. The key difference being Johnson at 7, however based on most of the comments he will be injured for a good part of it so I can't see too much difference from this year. If i was in Brown's shoes and could add a player to take the spine from an okay spine to getting in the top 6 of the competition it would be Manu. I would then rearrange the spine to have Manu as no. 1, Johnson 7, Walsh 6, and Egan/Kodi/Chanel/Otukolo playing for the 9 position. Defensively I think Manu would add more value to the dynamics of the Warriors at number 1. We can expect Walsh to bulk up but he will still have frailties at the back on defense and under the highball unfortunately! I hope behind the scenes they are going hard for a player like Manu to improve our spine!

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Devils advocate.

Likewise given 6 of our wins were by 6 points or less a few more of those "close wins" dont go our way we finish 15th or 16th.

End of the day we finished where we deserved and whilst maybe not reflective of how a team's performance is trending is a fair reflection of where we ranked and how much more improvement is needed.

Last edited:

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012

Sorry I meant 7th.

Realistically we had these games won and threw them away.

Knights x 2
Broncos
Dragons
Cowboys
Sea Eagles x 2

That is 7 wins we should of had and at least 5 of those could of very easily win had we not lost the plot.

With a full offseason with the team together, the new recruits I think we can bridge that gap and win enough of those close games to make the 8 next year

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
If having a great spine is a key indicator on a teams performance over a whole season then next year we can expect much of the same as this year (mediocre results) with Walsh at 1, Johnson at 7, Chanel at 6 and Egan/Kodi at 9. The key difference being Johnson at 7, however based on most of the comments he will be injured for a good part of it so I can't see too much difference from this year. If i was in Brown's shoes and could add a player to take the spine from an okay spine to getting in the top 6 of the competition it would be Manu. I would then rearrange the spine to have Manu as no. 1, Johnson 7, Walsh 6, and Egan/Kodi/Chanel/Otukolo playing for the 9 position. Defensively I think Manu would add more value to the dynamics of the Warriors at number 1. We can expect Walsh to bulk up but he will still have frailties at the back on defense and under the highball unfortunately! I hope behind the scenes they are going hard for a player like Manu to improve our spine!
You would have Manu at 1?

Might be a bit hard when he plays for the Roosters.

Kodi is the man to play number 6, he would thrive playing with Shaun Johnson, he showed glimpses this year just needs to fix up his attitude and work on his defence which I think is really the same thing

Reactions: nakiproud

KiwiinJapan

Warriors Bench Player
Apr 3, 2016
Sorry I meant 7th.

Knights x 2
Broncos
Dragons
Cowboys
Sea Eagles x 2

That is 7 wins we should of had and at least 5 of those could of very easily win had we not lost the plot.

With a full offseason with the team together, the new recruits I think we can bridge that gap and win enough of those close games to make the 8 next year
You are probably right. The full off season training together is important. Last year, they had that weird half the team in NZ and half in Australia thing going on. I wonder if that had an affect on the team.

Reactions: Mr Frank White

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Sorry I meant 7th.

Knights x 2
Broncos
Dragons
Cowboys
Sea Eagles x 2

What is your definition of "had the games won"?

Aside from the Dragons game did we even lead those teams by more than a converted try heading into the final 20?

Yes we lost a lot of close games in the final 10 minutes, but those were close games where we weren't good enough, not games that we "had won".

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings