Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Not at all opposed to him at the back, Shaun Johnson ball playing across the field looking for holes for him to hit will be something we haven’t seen for a while with his speed, Billy Slaterish hopefully. Defence at the back concerns me though, when I think of all the tries Roger Tuivasa-Sheck saved at the back, I’m not confident Walsh can handle that. I back him to make wherever they decide to play him his own.
Yip this is what I’m looking forward to the most - while Shaun Johnson is not as fast as he used to be, going to the line and either running, passing to a rampaging back rower, or passing it out the back to Walsh in space. Walsh has better play making and decision making then anyone else we’ve had in that position in a long time. If he has space as well…He can either go himself, draw and pass to the centre, or throw that big cut out pass to the winger.

Can’t wait

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019

Have never heard a player say that.

That is the point of the saying, anyone can shine for a few games but opposition do video on them the one trick ponies fall by the wayside.

Add to that our poor development and on field structure and we seem to have too many players that move the wrong way..
🙄
Tyrone May could be a decent fit with Johnson? and a bit of experience when/if Johnson is injured?
Yuck!

Reactions: Defence

Billyspleen75

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Silverdale
Peaked to early. That’s what I don’t understand with people saying Walsh would be a liability defending in the line. That year, the first 4 wins or so were with Sam Cook defending in the middle. Remember only a shit ref cost us a to 4 spot
I'm pretty sure Sam Cook only played once or twice off the bench. Would have barely impacted the game

Reactions: tajhay and Noitall

Pricey

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 2, 2016
The reality is, unless we sign a big name in the halves, all of our options are going to be flawed and have issues. While this isn’t ideal, it’s still better than what we have currently.
If we don’t sign that big player (Manu/Brown etc.) we’re still faaaar better off signing an Ash Taylor, Lachlan Lewis, Luke Brooks, Cade Cust rather than staying with the same players we currently have. Those names are better than the Chanel Harris-Tavita/Kodi/Sean O'Sullivan options that we currently have.
I also worry that signing a young promising player like Metcalf sets us back - halves don’t historically grow their game at the Warriors, so I wonder if an older head with half the ability (some of those names on the list) is better than a young name with loads of potential
James Maloney seemed to do ok

Reactions: bruce and TheCool

Pricey

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 2, 2016
The hype around next year being the Warriors year has started already. Stuff NZ has an article titled 'There is no real reason why next year shouldn't be the Warriors year'. Makes you wonder if the reporters actually watch the game, or if they are just getting reports from the club.
I think they eat a lot of Chinese fortune cookies at Stuff and find them to be a great source of intel.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Not at all opposed to him at the back, Shaun Johnson ball playing across the field looking for holes for him to hit will be something we haven’t seen for a while with his speed, Billy Slaterish hopefully. Defence at the back concerns me though, when I think of all the tries Roger Tuivasa-Sheck saved at the back, I’m not confident Walsh can handle that. I back him to make wherever they decide to play him his own.
Good point about Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. But how much of those try savers were simply the idiots in front of him not doing their bloody jobs!?

I'd be looking to fix any defensive frailties our centres and wings have as much as looking to fix RW's...

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
Good point about Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. But how much of those try savers were simply the idiots in front of him not doing their bloody jobs!?

I'd be looking to fix any defensive frailties our centres and wings have as much as looking to fix RW's...

While Roger made a couple of classic try savers he did tend to struggle quite a bit defensively back there

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
I don’t think any recruits are going to help us until we get a new coach. I would start by making Shane Flanagan assistant and after we have another poor start next year move him into head coach and punt browny.
What do you think Flanagan would bring? A hard edge? Tactics? Recruits?

personally my choice for coach would be Steve McNamara just because I like the ball movement from his sides, although I understand he is reluctant to come back down under.
It would be nice to have an up and coming coach join the ranks as an assistant

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I don’t think any recruits are going to help us until we get a new coach. I would start by making Shane Flanagan assistant and after we have another poor start next year move him into head coach and punt browny.
100%, outside of Flanagan I would want Cameron Ciraldo as my top choice. Has a massive coaching future.

I would’ve even taken a chance on Seibold. No secret to knights defence improving to one of the best in the league once he came on board. Broncos drama aside, he knows his shit and has a super intelligent footy brain.

Brown just isn’t smart enough and doesn’t have the attention to detail needed to be successful. Good relationship manager and people person, but not someone who’s ever going to coach a premiership winning side.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Good relationship manager and people person, but not someone who’s ever going to coach a premiership winning side.
St Helen’s just forwarded this photo…

DC2AFC1F-B796-473C-9FEB-0F5A691228B3.jpeg

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Because he’s been so successful in this competition.
I dunno, Browns record is actually pretty good outside of the Knights. He had three seasons, first two were shit where he completely rebuilt them and his 3rd season they were sitting pretty in 4th position after the middle point of the season before the players tanked it and they lost 8 of the last 10.

I think we’ve been much more competitive this year, however injuries have killed us. Imo he’s got us performing, but injuries and a lack of a dominant half have killed us. Those two issues shouldn’t be the case nek year

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
What do you think Flanagan would bring? A hard edge? Tactics? Recruits?

personally my choice for coach would be Steve McNamara just because I like the ball movement from his sides, although I understand he is reluctant to come back down under.
It would be nice to have an up and coming coach join the ranks as an assistant
I’ve just read a few comments from players who have played under him. He’s a really good man manager and gets the best out of most players. I think the sharks have missed the top 8 maybe once under him. Throw in a few semi finals and winning the comp. With his second stint at the sharks his win record was 65%

Reactions: Defence and Swanny

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Sounding like some staff not going to be joining the team next year in Aussie, some of those trying to get back at present that the players have been public about. Interesting that Brandon Smith has shared an Instagram message to his page that Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Tohu Harris Harris and Jazz have put together pleading with the government to let those staff members home. Someone’s comment on there said “can’t hate on the cheese, even when he goes to the Warriors”. 🤞

Reactions: Worried2Death

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
Sounding like some staff not going to be joining the team next year in Aussie, some of those trying to get back at present that the players have been public about. Interesting that Brandon Smith has shared an Instagram message to his page that Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Tohu Harris Harris and Jazz have put together pleading with the government to let those staff members home. Someone’s comment on there said “can’t hate on the cheese, even when he goes to the Warriors”. 🤞
Tohu Harris messaged a few players and fan pages about sending that message out. I don’t think cheese has any idea where he is going yet

Reactions: J_P and Noitall
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings