Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Peaked to early. That’s what I don’t understand with people saying Walsh would be a liability defending in the line. That year, the first 4 wins or so were with Sam Cook defending in the middle. Remember only a shit ref cost us a to 4 spot
I like Walsh because he has gas, and attitude. That is great for starters.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
That long ball is awesome too, and from either side. Add skills to what you listed and we’ve got a rear talent.
We do need a reliable kicker though.

You old guys will remember the West Coaster Don Ladner who was the Kiwi fullback in 1969 and 1970.

There were no bad West Coasters, ever, and Don probably wasn't as flash a player as Mike McLennan but he could kick goals.

He scored 76 points in 8 games.

Heyzeuss that was a psychological advantage anywhere in the opposition half, especially against the Australians with a referee like John Percival.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Reactions: Warrior#214

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
I'd prefer Niukore.

He is younger
Has played better this year
Is from Auckland
Doesn't get constant and worrying head knocks
Didn't walk out on the Tigers in strange circumstances.

Ironically there are Two Tyrones that are free and off contracts.... Peachey and May...
Ironic that they nearly play in the same spots!
Tyrone May could be a decent fit with Johnson? and a bit of experience when/if Johnson is injured?

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
That long ball is awesome too, and from either side. Add skills to what you listed and we’ve got a rear talent.
A rare talent at the rear. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I wonder if part of the reason the coaches are so "We are not moving Reece from fullback" minded is that they want to see how hard Second Season Syndrome hits? If he falls of a cliff - ie becomes a more average player - I suspect he'll be fullback his entire Warriors career and maybe beyond. If he has a great 2022, someone might think "It's worked before, no reason it can't work again" and give Reece some serious time at 6.

Reactions: Noitall

Barty

Warriors Bench Player
Sep 29, 2020
We do need a reliable kicker though.

You old guys will remember the West Coaster Don Ladner who was the Kiwi fullback in 1969 and 1970.

There were no bad West Coasters, ever, and Don probably wasn't as flash a player as Mike McLennan but he could kick goals.

He scored 76 points in 8 games.

Heyzeuss that was a psychological advantage anywhere in the opposition half, especially against the Australians with a referee like John Percival.
I live in the West Coast. And Donny was an absolute champion bloke - taken far too early

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
A rare talent at the rear. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I wonder if part of the reason the coaches are so "We are not moving Reece from fullback" minded is that they want to see how hard Second Season Syndrome hits? If he falls of a cliff - ie becomes a more average player - I suspect he'll be fullback his entire Warriors career and maybe beyond. If he has a great 2022, someone might think "It's worked before, no reason it can't work again" and give Reece some serious time at 6.
Not at all opposed to him at the back, Shaun Johnson ball playing across the field looking for holes for him to hit will be something we haven’t seen for a while with his speed, Billy Slaterish hopefully. Defence at the back concerns me though, when I think of all the tries Roger Tuivasa-Sheck saved at the back, I’m not confident Walsh can handle that. I back him to make wherever they decide to play him his own.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings