Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
A bit of gossip this morning is that Zac Lomax is looking to join the Roosters which is also the club his girlfriend has shifted to in the WNRL. He's removed any mention of the Dragons from his social media & unfollowed them. The Dragons have also unfollowed Lomax.
The stars could be aligning for Manu earlier than 2023

drake83

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 14, 2013
Palmerston North
Agree with your thinking but my impression is Shaun Johnson & Dallin Watene-Zelezniak were signed on fairly decent deals, eg 500k plus. That wouldn’t lump them in the journey man status, that’s fairly high paid. I believe journeymen is 200-500k, base is 100-200k & high paid is 500k plus. Could be wrong here. To be honest though, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has been worth every cent. He’s a gun player, leader & can play multiple positions. The major speed bumps holding us back currently are kodi & Fusitua, collectively on over 1 million a year. Ken freed up some money, which went to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak assume similar price. If we can manage to move on those 2 I can assume we can make a play at some decent players, maybe 1 gun player & another up and comer would be my best bet.

for me, the warriors are targeting a quality edge back rower, a half & a centre. Imo murchie & sironen haven’t managed to nail down that role just yet. Katoa is one edge, as he’s so young and on his day is damaging, just can’t play 80 yet. I realise we can still pick up players who are contracted, but for those off contract my targets would be:

Centre:
Tesi niu
Enari tuala
Murray tuilagi
Dylan walkwr

halves:
Drew hutchison
Benji (I think he’s still got it tbh, 1 year deal)

edge:
Lachlan Fitzgibbon

man, when you look at off contract, there’s fuck all options tbh
Tuilagi Walker and Hutchinson have all re-signed I believe

Reactions: warriorsfan92

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
4B02CF78-51C5-44CE-803E-F17F9C5B75D6.jpeg

Burncity warrior

1st Grade Fringe
May 11, 2021
A bit of gossip this morning is that Zac Lomax is looking to join the Roosters which is also the club his girlfriend has shifted to in the WNRL. He's removed any mention of the Dragons from his social media & unfollowed them. The Dragons have also unfollowed Lomax.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

With the money they have saved by letting Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Leeson Ah-Mau go early, let's say 350-400k, they have given that to the Roosters as a sweetener to let Joey go early? Obviously they save 700k plus anyway by releasing Joey early but they get a like for like replacement in Zac Lomax payed for by the warriors, or partly payed for. Joey will only be playing centre if he stays at the chooks with Teddy at FB and Keary at FE.. Suaalii is the other centre.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm frothing at Joey playing 6 outside Shaun Johnson. Yep, like Aman said, let's ruin Joey like we did Roger Tuivasa-Sheck lol

PullinTeeth

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 11, 2017
Could also be a falling out between him and the Dragons because he wouldnt sign the affidavit bullshiting about what happened at Paul Vaughns BBQ.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Agree with your thinking but my impression is Shaun Johnson & Dallin Watene-Zelezniak were signed on fairly decent deals, eg 500k plus. That wouldn’t lump them in the journey man status, that’s fairly high paid. I believe journeymen is 200-500k, base is 100-200k & high paid is 500k plus. Could be wrong here. To be honest though, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has been worth every cent. He’s a gun player, leader & can play multiple positions. The major speed bumps holding us back currently are kodi & Fusitua, collectively on over 1 million a year. Ken freed up some money, which went to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak assume similar price. If we can manage to move on those 2 I can assume we can make a play at some decent players, maybe 1 gun player & another up and comer would be my best bet.

for me, the warriors are targeting a quality edge back rower, a half & a centre. Imo murchie & sironen haven’t managed to nail down that role just yet. Katoa is one edge, as he’s so young and on his day is damaging, just can’t play 80 yet. I realise we can still pick up players who are contracted, but for those off contract my targets would be:

Centre:
Tesi niu
Enari tuala
Murray tuilagi
Dylan walkwr

halves:
Drew hutchison
Benji (I think he’s still got it tbh, 1 year deal)

edge:
Lachlan Fitzgibbon

man, when you look at off contract, there’s fuck all options tbh
All those names are this year though, look at November 1, look at next season and there is plenty! Just need them to want an immediate release and in most cases you could get it.

Reactions: Defence

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
Of those metres Joey Manu made, 92 of them were post contact. When the game kicked off I was thinking what on earth was he doing on the wing? But he had a massive workload, dragging players like he was a front row forward. And the quick tap try was genius, just burnt the Eels.

His value is going up by the minute and he's become one of the most talked about players in the comp.

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
Manu looks like a 6 to me who can cover any other position if needed.
I think under the new rules he is more than capable of playing the running 6 role ala Jack Wighton. The only question I have is can a talented union player be developed in that position on half that money. With the small glimpse we have had of Berry he has a similar skill set and has developed quickly on a very small amount of league played

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
I don’t feel comfortable justifying his potential one million based even partly on intangibles such as marketability
His value should be based on ability alone imho
absolutely agree with you 100%. but remember we now have a business man running the joint. Its not just about wins but making money

Reactions: Burncity warrior

Geoff Public

Fold some clown
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
Why do we need to have a "very Kiwi Warriors face"? Will the young players really care that Walsh is an Australian? Listen to Manu and Walsh speak. There is a gulf of difference. Even the cheese is better at communicating to these audience. Sponsors, members and supporters already have what they need with Walsh. There is a huge opportunity right infront of their eyes, and we would rather waste precious salary cap on someone else, because he is a kiwi? I thought we were bigger than that. This is a professional club, not a national one. The sooner we understand that, the sooner we can begin that journey to win the comp.
Tajhay, marketing Walsh is a good option.

We get told, by Australian media, a Kiwi side won't win a premiership. We need an Australian coach and a solid base of Australian players to have any chance of success. ie, We can't succeed without them.

I want the Warriors to be successful and win a premiership. But if they can do it with a Kiwi captain and/ or a Kiwi coach all the better.

The value of that imagery to the Warriors is huge in multiple ways. And they're prepared to spend cash to create the possibility of it happening.

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
absolutely agree with you 100%. but remember we now have a business man running the joint. Its not just about wins but making money
Until the warriors start winning they can sign the biggest superstar but won't make any money lol.
I'm all for signing Manu though, contract value is debatable but i guess you can't have all bargain contracts on the unders.
I'm sure they'll resolve fusitua's contract over the preseason.
As for Nikorima, hopefully the Broncos take him off our hands. It's the least we can do after poaching Walsh

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Tajhay, marketing Walsh is a good option.

We get told, by Australian media, a Kiwi side won't win a premiership. We need an Australian coach and a solid base of Australian players to have any chance of success. ie, We can't succeed without them.

I want the Warriors to be successful and win a premiership. But if they can do it with a Kiwi captain and/ or a Kiwi coach all the better.

The value of that imagery to the Warriors is huge in multiple ways. And they're prepared to spend cash to create the possibility of it happening.
I get that. But I wouldn't be worrying about the paintings I want displayed in the lounge before having a house. So warriors to be putting the cart before the horse.

Would love to be proven wrong, but yeah...I agree with "Australian media".

Reactions: Geoff Public
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings