Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Geoff Public

Fold some clown
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
I think Manu's a quality centre who has the potential to be a good half.

We're not just recruiting him for his on-field play. He would be the very Kiwi Warriors face for sponsors, members and supporters. They want him to be the player kids pretend they are in back yard footy.

If Joey Manu isn't this player, tell me who the Warriors could recruit instead? I have discounted the cheese because he's too immature.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020

We're not just recruiting him for his on-field play. He would be the very Kiwi Warriors face for sponsors, members and supporters. They want him to be the player kids pretend they are in back yard footy.

If Joey Manu isn't this player, tell me who the Warriors could recruit instead? I have discounted the cheese because he's too immature.
I think that’s it. We’re looking at him as our franchise player, wedge him into the spine somehow to justify the price tag.

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Brisbane Queensland Australia
The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield is reporting the Roosters will be able to keep Manu because they’re set to free up cap space with Siosiua Taukeiaho weighing up a move to the Super League.

“They will keep (Manu), I think. Where they’ll get the money to upgrade Manu is the front-rower Siosiua Taukeiaho,” Rothfield told NRL 360.

“He was nearly the best prop in the game. He’s contracted for next year but I think they’ve come to an agreement he’ll be released for the final year because there’s a huge-money on offer in England.”

Taukeiaho is contracted to the Roosters until the end of 2022 on a deal worth around the $650,000 per season mark.

It would be a huge blow for the Roosters if Taukeiaho was to take up the Super League offer. The 29-year-old is widely considered as one of the most consistent props in the game and is a New Zealand and Tongan international.

But if there’s one silver lining it would be the higher chance of keeping Manu. He is also contracted until the end of 2022 — meaning the Warriors can officially start negotiating with him from November 1. He’s earning close to $750,000 per season but his outstanding form not only in the centres for the Roosters, but particularly while filling in for James Tedesco at fullback, has him tipped to be the next $1 million man.

Burncity warrior

1st Grade Fringe
May 11, 2021
Just in regards to Leeson, he was a great pick up when we got him and I thought he was reasonably good this year but the game has changed.

Joey Johns was saying oh his show how the make up of a forward has changed and it's all about how quick a forward can hit top gear, how fast they cover ground and how quick they can play the ball. One look at how Aaron Pene plays and I'm happy to wave goodbye to Leeson. He's been a good servant and I wish him all the best, but time to move on.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney

Why do we need to have a "very Kiwi Warriors face"? Will the young players really care that Walsh is an Australian? Listen to Manu and Walsh speak. There is a gulf of difference. Even the cheese is better at communicating to these audience. Sponsors, members and supporters already have what they need with Walsh. There is a huge opportunity right infront of their eyes, and we would rather waste precious salary cap on someone else, because he is a kiwi? I thought we were bigger than that. This is a professional club, not a national one. The sooner we understand that, the sooner we can begin that journey to win the comp.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Pssst. POS … see if we can steal this kid 😂

Looks like a beast in the videos but watching his debut earlier this season , he looked like a kid amongst men. Will be a future star when he full develops though, no doubt.

Now if Manu had anywhere near this kids talent no one would be debating his worth…

18 years old currently. Is he better than Walsh???

Reactions: Worried2Death

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Now is Manu had anywhere near this kids talent no one would be debating his worth…
I dont know. For 1 mill you need to be a game winner. One who could win you the match single-handedly. Manu isn't one, and jury is still out if Sualli becomes that. But yes, Sualli is more likely to than Manu. But this club would never make a 1m play for Sualli even if we available. Which begs the question, why would we then for Manu.

I have no issues if he was on 6-700k. You don't win premierships by having a player of his ilk on 1 mill. It degrades the rest of your squad. The best teams get value for majority of their contracts. The club has made some astute signings this past season based on good salary cap decisions/management. I'd hate to see them throw away that ground they made.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I dont know. For 1 mill you need to be a game winner. One who could win you the match single-handedly. Manu isn't one, and jury is still out if Sualli becomes that. But yes, Sualli is more likely to than Manu. But this club would never make a 1m play for Sualli even if we available. Which begs the question, why would we then for Manu.

I have no issues if he was on 6-700k. You don't win premierships by having a player of his ilk on 1 mill. It degrades the rest of your squad. The best teams get value for majority of their contracts. The club has made some astute signings this past season based on good salary cap decisions/management. I'd hate to see them throw away that ground they made.

Did you watch the video? Sualii’s step, fend, speed and offload is so good for someone so young. He’s multi-talented and will only get better. He’s got X factor.

I would throw that million at him right now over Manu. Big risk, but the future rewards are higher.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Did you watch the video? Sualii’s step, fend, speed and offload is so good for someone so young. He’s multi-talented and will only get better. He’s got X factor.

I would throw that million at him right now over Manu. Big risk, but the future rewards are higher.
Agreed big risk but higher rewards.

So was Karl Filiga.

Not doubting the talents of either players. I'm advocating of smart salary cap management. We are finally doing right things, im weary of taking risks. Risks rather than smart management has been how the club has been operating since 95. Some paid off, some not so.

Burncity warrior

1st Grade Fringe
May 11, 2021
It's all hearsay what the Warriors are prepared to offer Joey Manu. The chooks already pay him in excess of 700k and they are in the process of offloading pretty damn good players like Taukeiaho to keep him. If a Top club like the Roosters see that type of value in him then we should too. I know one thing, there isn't a club in the world that wouldn't want him, just saying🤷

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020

I agree with you but just throwing out an alternative, Shaun Johnson?

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield is reporting the Roosters will be able to keep Manu because they’re set to free up cap space with Siosiua Taukeiaho weighing up a move to the Super League.

“They will keep (Manu), I think. Where they’ll get the money to upgrade Manu is the front-rower Siosiua Taukeiaho,” Rothfield told NRL 360.

“He was nearly the best prop in the game. He’s contracted for next year but I think they’ve come to an agreement he’ll be released for the final year because there’s a huge-money on offer in England.”

Taukeiaho is contracted to the Roosters until the end of 2022 on a deal worth around the $650,000 per season mark.

It would be a huge blow for the Roosters if Taukeiaho was to take up the Super League offer. The 29-year-old is widely considered as one of the most consistent props in the game and is a New Zealand and Tongan international.

But if there’s one silver lining it would be the higher chance of keeping Manu. He is also contracted until the end of 2022 — meaning the Warriors can officially start negotiating with him from November 1. He’s earning close to $750,000 per season but his outstanding form not only in the centres for the Roosters, but particularly while filling in for James Tedesco at fullback, has him tipped to be the next $1 million man.
Seems doubtful about Taukeiaho going to England. He still can’t be approached until Nov so if there were big money overseas offers you would think he would wait until November and test the local market.

Then there is the issues around Covid. I can’t see why he would already have reached an agreement to go to the UK next season.

Reactions: AlexM

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Digging deeper into the salary cap article:

"I'd say looking at maybe $800-900 for your top-tier two or three players, maybe working down to $700 or a bit less for your next three players. That's a reasonably safe blend leaving you with enough to balance the rest of the roster with tradesman-like players and young up-and-comers to provide real value."

2022 squad

$800-900 player 1 - Tohu Harris Harris
$800-900 player 2 - Addin Fonua-Blake
$800-900 player 3 - ?

$650-700 player 1 - Lodge
$650-700 player 1 - ?
$650-700 player 1 - ?

Tradesmen wages - Shaun Johnson, Aitken, Egan, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Montoya, Murchie, Jazz, Sironen, Evans, Bunty

Up and comers - Walsh, Berry, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Pride, Pompey, Ratuva, Curran, Pene

Obviously a little more technical than this but going by that quote, we still have cap space for 3 high cost players. Possibly 2 if we have stacked the tradesmen level with Shaun Johnson, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, etc.

Excellent cap management with the puzzle solved around the props and ‘buying go forward’. And I believe we have the cash set aside for the spine. To be in this position and if we could get 2-3 additional talented spine players, then our squad looks really formidable. Off season signings may be interesting for our club!

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Manu doesn't have the speed or ball playing for 1.
In his 9 starts at #1 he has 4 Try Assists, 6 Tries & 61 tackle breaks. He's only ever played in the position in back to back weeks twice so one would imagine the TA's would improve as he became more accustomed to the role. You're right that he doesn't have the speed of a Papenhuyzen & relies more of power & agility. Has always had at least 1 error when playing #1 which is a negative but his average is less than what Roger Tuivasa-Sheck or Trbojevic have this season.
Ironically Peta Hiku wasn't too bad at 6 though...was he?
Lost both his NRL starts there & is 1W-2L in Tests. He did help bag a 9-2 win over England but that was in 2015

Last edited:

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Digging deeper into the salary cap article:

"I'd say looking at maybe $800-900 for your top-tier two or three players, maybe working down to $700 or a bit less for your next three players. That's a reasonably safe blend leaving you with enough to balance the rest of the roster with tradesman-like players and young up-and-comers to provide real value."

2022 squad

$800-900 player 1 - Tohu Harris Harris
$800-900 player 2 - Addin Fonua-Blake
$800-900 player 3 - ?

$650-700 player 1 - Lodge
$650-700 player 1 - ?
$650-700 player 1 - ?

Tradesmen wages - Shaun Johnson, Aitken, Egan, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Montoya, Murchie, Jazz, Sironen, Evans, Bunty

Up and comers - Walsh, Berry, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Pride, Pompey, Ratuva, Curran, Pene

Obviously a little more technical than this but going by that quote, we still have cap space for 3 high cost players. Possibly 2 if we have stacked the tradesmen level with Shaun Johnson, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, etc.

Excellent cap management with the puzzle solved around the props and ‘buying go forward’. And I believe we have the cash set aside for the spine. To be in this position and if we could get 2-3 additional talented spine players, then our squad looks really formidable. Off season signings may be interesting for our club!
Agree with your thinking but my impression is Shaun Johnson & Dallin Watene-Zelezniak were signed on fairly decent deals, eg 500k plus. That wouldn’t lump them in the journey man status, that’s fairly high paid. I believe journeymen is 200-500k, base is 100-200k & high paid is 500k plus. Could be wrong here. To be honest though, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has been worth every cent. He’s a gun player, leader & can play multiple positions. The major speed bumps holding us back currently are kodi & Fusitua, collectively on over 1 million a year. Ken freed up some money, which went to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak assume similar price. If we can manage to move on those 2 I can assume we can make a play at some decent players, maybe 1 gun player & another up and comer would be my best bet.

for me, the warriors are targeting a quality edge back rower, a half & a centre. Imo murchie & sironen haven’t managed to nail down that role just yet. Katoa is one edge, as he’s so young and on his day is damaging, just can’t play 80 yet. I realise we can still pick up players who are contracted, but for those off contract my targets would be:

Centre:
Tesi niu
Enari tuala
Murray tuilagi
Dylan walkwr

halves:
Drew hutchison
Benji (I think he’s still got it tbh, 1 year deal)

edge:
Lachlan Fitzgibbon

man, when you look at off contract, there’s fuck all options tbh

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings