Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

ryno

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Attitude will get you up for a game, or three. But it doesn’t carry you through 25 rounds. For that you need talented players working cohesively in a defined system.
We have been in a lot of close games this season as well.

8 games where the difference is 4 or less and we have only won 3 of those games. To recall some of the losses there was Knights game where we lost in the last minutes, and 3 golden point losses to the Sea Eagles, Cowboys and Dragons

So we have been close but unfortunately don't have the players (halves especially) to close out those games. Add another 3 wins from those 4 games and we are in the top 8.

From a recruitment perspective for 2022 Johnson immediately gives us an upgrade there.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
Once Keary is back from injury, Manu isn’t going to displace him or Tedesco. I reckon it’s pretty much a done deal behind the scenes and just the semantics of not being able to approach him until November in the way. The roosters are chasing Brandon Smith, releasing Taukieho isn’t going to upgrade Chrichton, Manu and get Smith. I know there’s a sombrero but that would be a piss take.
It’s already piss take and has been for years
They are rorting the system
Every time I visit another teams fan forum to scope out some gossip or just get their take on the match they just played against the warriors they ALL all of them every forum are furious at that league for not cracking down on roosters
The bulldog fans are convinced roosters are rorting
So does manly fans
So do shark fans
So do st George fans
So do even storm fans
15 of the nrl forums all openly take it as a given there are two sets of salary cap rules
One set of rules for the roosters allowing them to spend as much as they like
And another set of strict rules that all the other teams have to follow
Where there is smoke there is fire in my opinion
Roosters will sign all of those guys you mention including with upgrades

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Some loose forwards, centres and full backs have made the switch to number 6. Darren Lockyer and Brad Fittler as two examples. However they were special players, in special teams.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was pretty good but I don't think he was outstanding at 6.

Ironically Peta Hiku wasn't too bad at 6 though...was he?

Just trying to see it how POS might be.

Lockyer and Freddy were a different level in their ball playing before making the shift. Like you said, special talents. Daley was another centre turned 6.

There's no doubt that Manu has some special traits, but half/fullback feels like a square peg in a round hole.

Having said that, if Shaun Johnson stays healthy and Manu can just focus on being a running 6, that would be the best scenario for him moving to 6. Chanel Harris-Tavita/Manu combo would be horrible, especially without a more dynamic ball player at 9.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Manu for 1mil makes me very nervous.

1mil for a centre = ugh

Manu doesn't have the speed or ball playing for 1.

That leaves him as a 6 and I haven't seen anything in regards to kicking or ball playing that would translate to 6 naturally.

Very unsure on this. Quality player but not sure he's what we need for the price.
I think the price tag comes with the versatility. These rule changes have caused injuries to a majority of these teams and with that a player like Manu becomes especially valuable. As well as filling two spots in the spine and centre I’m watching him look fairly impressive on the wing also.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
That's not correct. The RLPA agreement stipulates that each nrl club must spend atleast 90 or more % of the salary cap for the year. The Warriors have never had issue not maxing out their salary cap...because the club has traditionally overpaid players what they are worth. Last year 1/4 of our cap was spent on our two main wingers, Green and Blair for example. It's not like this club has never been caught exceeding the cap.

Premiership tilts start with smarter management of the cap. You don't become better than say Roosters by paying their players more than what they themselves would pay. 1m for Manu?...please...he is not a million dollar player. Very few are.

The following article has some thoughts from POS on how to structure a team based on the cap:

Very interesting article. A few observations:

The best part of $3 million, almost a third of an NRL roster allocation, should be allocated to front-rowers and middle forwards

8 props players earning a huge chunk of the cap. And the importance of the marquee props. Buying go forward. How it draws other players in for recruitment. Great insight. I didn’t really realise the worth for what is a half game player. Obviously we are heading down this path with Lodge and Addin Fonua-Blake!

"I'd say looking at maybe $800-900 for your top-tier two or three players, maybe working down to $700 or a bit less for your next three players. That's a reasonably safe blend leaving you with enough to balance the rest of the roster with tradesman-like players and young up-and-comers to provide real value."

Looks like our squad. BUT when you get Shaun Johnson for tradesmen rates, Walsh for up and comers, we get more top tier players in the squad.

"Your top echelon of players, rep players and elite guys, they're intrinsically motivated to be the best they can be. At the bottom of the pyramid are your young players… driven by the opportunity. Then in the middle are your journeyman or mid-tier players that are extrinsically motivated, if you like. Money is a motivator to a degree, like it is for anyone in any profession. I like to put bonuses in their contracts for those players. You need them performing to the best of their ability in first grade, because they can be genuine first-graders and realistically you need 10-12 of these guysThen in the middle are your journeyman or mid-tier players that are extrinsically motivated, if you like. Money is a motivator to a degree, like it is for anyone in any profession. I like to put bonuses in their contracts for those players. You need them performing to the best of their ability in first grade, because they can be genuine first-graders and realistically you need 10-12 of these guys.

Top and bottom tier motivation is obvious but interesting on the middle tier players. Do we pay bonus’s to them? Doesn’t seem to motivate results! Kodi was getting bonuses for running wasn’t he😉

The ARL Commission will make its call on the viability of a 17th NRL side around July, with a 2023 start date slated if expansion becomes reality.

That article was written in March. Any news on this from anyone?

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Manu for 1mil makes me very nervous.

1mil for a centre = ugh

Manu doesn't have the speed or ball playing for 1.

That leaves him as a 6 and I haven't seen anything in regards to kicking or ball playing that would translate to 6 naturally.

Very unsure on this. Quality player but not sure he's what we need for the price.
Not as bad as a 1.2mill winger aye!

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
But it doesn’t carry you through 25 rounds. For that you need talented players working cohesively in a defined system.

If that was true, SK would still be coaching us, and the team would be a bunch of robots by now…

Attitude was what made last season soooo good to watch.

Walshy has it in spades. Lodge has shown potential. We need more in this team.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
a jack of all trades but a master at none
If you stand back and look at our recruiting, last year the forwards got the biggest makeover and almost looked to be concentrated on apart from the odd off contract back that we were really lacking in like Aitken. This year it’s the backs with the exception of Lodge. PO’S is identifying what we need to win, if he says Manu is worth a million, I can roll with that looking at his credentials. Big gamble but could bring big rewards.

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Brisbane Queensland Australia
I find it very, very unlikely that the money being bandied around in the media for Manu is accurate.
Wendell Sailor and Ryan Gridler are on the triple M call team tonight saying they have heard that it's a 3 year deal a million A season and they think he is definitely worth every cent, not just as a player but what he brings to a team.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Wendell Sailor and Ryan Gridler are on the triple M call team tonight saying they have heard that it's a 3 year deal a million A season and they think he is definitely worth every cent, not just as a player but what he brings to a team.

He's a good player and I'd love to see him home in NZ, but I can't get my head around the money or the utility spine tag.

I'm trying to think of other centre/wings that have transitioned to 5/8. Jamie Lyon maybe, and...

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
He's a good player and I'd love to see him home in NZ, but I can't get my head around the money or the utility spine tag.

I'm trying to think of other centre/wings that have transitioned to 5/8. Jamie Lyon maybe, and...
The only position surely is Fullback! Johnson right foot Walsh left foot would be lethal and Wayde bringing the forwards on.

The next question can they get him next season, Or would it be 2023? And if there is any spare coin this season should it be front loaded to Fusitua to bring his salary down so maybe someone takes him Of the warriors hands?

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Good call
Altho i think both already possesed an inherent kicking game, something Joey appears to lack.

I rate Manu tho, he's a top centre and useful cover in a number of positions......stress cover. Million bucks?.....for that salary youve got to be able to influence outcomes of games......i dont think thats his go.

Last edited:
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings