Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
Have Shaun Johnson in the leadership group but nothing more than that keep him focused on performing week in week out without the added responsibility of being Captain
From everything I've seen of Shaun Johnson this year (be it limited) he's a different player and seems much more mature then when he was at the warriors. I trust him to handle the pressure and even use it as motivation to perform better.
That terrible fallout with Shaun Johnson and the warriors management may be the best thing to happen for both parties in the long run.
I was never the biggest Shaun Johnson fan but seeing his passion when talking about returning to the club I would love nothing more than to send him off with that warriors maiden premiership.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
Does anyone know - Have we completely removed ourselves from the race for Joey Manus signature?

Also read some articles about Dylan Brown likely on the move for 2023, are we likely to have another look at him as well?
I read south’s were influenced by a resign Alex Johnstone petition ( I think it was him )
If petitions get listened to I would be keen for n a sign joseph manu petition
I don’t care if we miss out on him as we can’t control where he signs but I would like for us to at least take him for a coffee to see if there matches between our team needs and his career aspirations and targeted contribution areas

Burncity warrior

1st Grade Fringe
May 11, 2021
I think we'd be silly not to at least enquire about Joey, hell of a player. Aitken isn't our long term centre, good solid option for now but nothing special, Berry and Manu on either side is strike.

Or, I'd have no dramas putting him straight to five eighth if that's where he saw his future, he could be our version of Jack Wighton. Fullback too, what a replacement if Reece went down. Options are endless with a player of Joey's quality.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Whats your long answer?
Long answer; While he had some explosive talent, it wasn't enough to outweigh the negative factors in his game.

Wouldn't pass (I'm certain he could)
Got White line fever whenever there was a ruck close to the goal line and he was dummy half
Struggled with defensive reads (but could tackle well)

Like a lot of past Warriors players, athleticism and natural ability got him a gig. Unfortunately there is a limit as to how far it can take you, unless you enhance that with learning. IMO, he never learnt.

He will always be remembered in my eyes by the fact the team coaching Guru's only found out he was a left hander in his final season with us and he should therefore play on the right.

Not entirely his fault but Geez, wouldn't you say something like, Hey Mooks, I'm a southpaw and find it's easier to pass left to right. Ok if I move to the other side?

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Kata had his moments in the NRL where he gave us a point of difference on attack. However the positives were outweighed by the negatives. Also by the end of his time in the NRL the opposition had him figured out, often yelling his name to jam up on him as wouldn't pass or when at dummy half cause he'd likely try and barge over.

Other years he'd be worth considering bringing back if we could get him cheaper. At the moment if we were looking at him as an outside back and likely a centre there is more upside in Aitken, Berry and Pompey.

I still suspect we may have another signing or two to come up. But they will likely be up and comers to provide a bit more depth.

Reactions: Burncity warrior

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
From everything I've seen of Shaun Johnson this year (be it limited) he's a different player and seems much more mature then when he was at the warriors. I trust him to handle the pressure and even use it as motivation to perform better.
That terrible fallout with Shaun Johnson and the warriors management may be the best thing to happen for both parties in the long run.
I was never the biggest Shaun Johnson fan but seeing his passion when talking about returning to the club I would love nothing more than to send him off with that warriors maiden premiership.
You mean make the top 8?

Reactions: Defence
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:
South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings