Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Does anyone know - Have we completely removed ourselves from the race for Joey Manus signature?

Also read some articles about Dylan Brown likely on the move for 2023, are we likely to have another look at him as well?
There was an article yesterday of possible landing spots for Manu. They didn’t mention us, but that doesn’t mean a lot. Don’t think anyone is allowed to approach him yet until November. I reckon we will have a shot at Brown next year too.

PullinTeeth

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 11, 2017
Does anyone know - Have we completely removed ourselves from the race for Joey Manus signature?

Also read some articles about Dylan Brown likely on the move for 2023, are we likely to have another look at him as well?
Havnt seen anything for a while about Joey but everything's gone a bit quiet on potential signings for the Warriors.
I've gone a bit cold on signing Joey TBH, Aitken and Berry look keepers at centre and with the club looking like they gunna keep Walsh at FB then cant see us signing him at 5/8.

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
Captains relationship with the refs is everything, get them offside and you don’t get the 50/50s. Might have been a couple of years ago but I doubt refs have forgotten his outburst.
Could also have the effect of putting them under pressure as they know they have a guy who will challenge them, leading to 50/50 calls going your way. I like the idea as he is not an easy guy to be dismissive of

bringmethehorizon

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Silverdale
Captains relationship with the refs is everything, get them offside and you don’t get the 50/50s. Might have been a couple of years ago but I doubt refs have forgotten his outburst.

Or maybe they'll be hyper aware of not making retarded calls against us?

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
I know a kid who’s reputation towards refs proceeded them. Gun player but kept missing out on the rep teams because of it.
This year I picked them in a development squad and we had a big talk about taking on a leadership role within the side and putting what the team needed ahead of their own impulses- they just didn’t have the tools to cope when things went against them.
The coach was so impressed with the way they embraced the role that he made them captain.
Yesterday they were named in the south coast ( wider gc) team.
I think it could be the making of Addin Fonua-Blake tbh although a co captain scenario could take a bit of the heat off while also making it more palatable to the wider fan base.
I’m for it.

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 1, 2015
Does anyone have an updated top 30 roster? August 1 is around the corner. How many spots that need to be filled? I remember a few weeks ago CG said they were looking to bring in 2 players. 1 was obviously lodge, still waiting on the other..

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Does anyone have an updated top 30 roster? August 1 is around the corner. How many spots that need to be filled? I remember a few weeks ago CG said they were looking to bring in 2 players. 1 was obviously lodge, still waiting on the other..
We're currently at 29 with Jamayne Tounua-Brown to return in a fortnight:
Addin Fonua-Blake
Lodge
Leeson Ah-Mau
Afoa
Evans
Frei
Ben Murdoch-Masila
Ale
Harris
Katoa
Curran
Murchie
Sironen
Tevaga
Egan
Otukolo
Townsend
Chanel Harris-Tavita
Nikorima
O'Sullivan
Hiku
Aitken
Berry
Pompey
Montoya
Fusitu'a
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Walsh

Reactions: J_P

Greenlite

U20's Player
Jul 11, 2021
If we do the co-captain system I'd have Walsh as the other skip as he seems to be the one running up to the ref complaining stuff. And he can just show the ref his facial bump when he got a knee to the face at high speed in the weekend, which was not penalized (did the bunker even put it on report??). Use that to nag the ref all day, it works lol.

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
I would hope the refs including the one in the Addin Fonua-Blake incident is mature enough to not hold a grudge from something that was said in the heat of the moment when the game was on the line. Also the raiders would never get calls go their way with Ricky Stuart's history.
Someone mentioned this on here before and I agreed with them that the captain's influence is overrated except for a very small number of players i.e Cam smith and that probably has more to do with him being an icon within the game. The team he played for wouldn't have hurt either.

Going a bit ot. This topic could be it's own thread.

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
I like a co-captain system of Shaun Johnson and Addin Fonua-Blake.
I think it could be the making of both of them to be honest.

I don't think Walsh needs that responsibility yet, but could be in the future. Also Lodge probably would be great at it, if we are convinced he will stay on longer term and he wins the fans over first (seems like he is easily on his way).

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Havnt seen anything for a while about Joey but everything's gone a bit quiet on potential signings for the Warriors.
I've gone a bit cold on signing Joey TBH, Aitken and Berry look keepers at centre and with the club looking like they gunna keep Walsh at FB then cant see us signing him at 5/8.
Totally agree about Berry, he looks awesome and growing into a wicked centre frame. I just worry that he hasn’t played a first grade game this season and not picked up an injury. Another pre season might be beneficial for his body. Suppose Berry, Aitken, Pompey, and Montoya aren’t too bad depth for centre’s, but I see the last two of that list as wingers. I’m probably more hopeful than anything but I see Manus recent slight dip in form as him halfway home already. Thought the same of Shaun Johnson last week when he called for the entire of next season to be in NZ. Be interested to see him play again this week because watching the sharks game further made me feel his head is home.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
I like a co-captain system of Shaun Johnson and Addin Fonua-Blake.
I think it could be the making of both of them to be honest.

I don't think Walsh needs that responsibility yet, but could be in the future. Also Lodge probably would be great at it, if we are convinced he will stay on longer term and he wins the fans over first (seems like he is easily on his way).
Remember the Broncos were going to make Lodge captain until the backlash. I reckon he would be perfect.

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
I know a kid who’s reputation towards refs proceeded them. Gun player but kept missing out on the rep teams because of it.
This year I picked them in a development squad and we had a big talk about taking on a leadership role within the side and putting what the team needed ahead of their own impulses- they just didn’t have the tools to cope when things went against them.
The coach was so impressed with the way they embraced the role that he made them captain.
Yesterday they were named in the south coast ( wider gc) team.
I think it could be the making of Addin Fonua-Blake tbh although a co captain scenario could take a bit of the heat off while also making it more palatable to the wider fan base.
I’m for it.
Yep. Him and Shaun Johnson would be a perfect pairing imo. Having someone like Addin Fonua-Blake as a backup/co captain will make the players pay a lot more attention to what Shaun Johnson directs them to do not that I think Shaun Johnson would have a problem with that.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:
South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings