Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Greenlite

U20's Player
Jul 11, 2021
As much as I don't want to sound like I'm on the cut Chanel Harris-Tavita bandwagon he was terrible vs the Storm bar a brilliant tackle & a couple of other solid hits. Defence is more than tackling (he was going at 81% tackle efficiency in that match) & his poor reads lead to us conceding points. The score was also 2-18 when he was injured. The bar is awfully low if that's what you consider to be amazing

A couple of try savers - knocking B Smith over & a slip catch within a few minutes of each other, after he already knocked over a Storm forward or 2, plus actual bombs that gave the chasers a chance to challenge, compared to doing jack all the games before and chipping the ball to opposition wingers repetitively.

So yes, for Chanel Harris-Tavita standard IMO, he was amazing, not Thurston amazing, but Chanel Harris-Tavita/Kodi/typical Warriors half amazing, lol. As long as Shaun Johnson is there I'd be happy for him to continue to grow in the team, whereas before that game he was just, terrible, lol.

Warrior#214

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 13, 2016
AK

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
For those NZ based Warriors fans with access to SKY, I saw a nice wee piece on league insider with Daryl Halligan chatting to POS that’s worth a look.
For those who don’t, he gave an insight into his back ground and where he had cut his teeth. What I thought interesting was his view that it’s a 5 year cycle to get the roster to where you want it to then challenge for a title and build on for future success.
He thought this Warriors team might have got there in around 4 years but Covid had meant that the young talent haven’t had the games to get them up to speed . He also likes 2 full pre seasons with his preferred squad as well.
He talked about watching plenty of rugby and scouting Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. He likes guys who play No.8 from the forwards and outside backs for the best opportunity to transition to league. He was excited to be working at the Warriors and identifying the best talent to stay in NZ as opposed to popping over and snagging them to take back to Oz.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
For those NZ based Warriors fans with access to SKY, I saw a nice wee piece on league insider with Daryl Halligan chatting to POS that’s worth a look.
For those who don’t, he gave an insight into his back ground and where he had cut his teeth. What I thought interesting was his view that it’s a 5 year cycle to get the roster to where you want it to then challenge for a title and build on for future success.
He thought this Warriors team might have got there in around 4 years but Covid had meant that the young talent haven’t had the games to get them up to speed . He also likes 2 full pre seasons with his preferred squad as well.
He talked about watching plenty of rugby and scouting Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. He likes guys who play No.8 from the forwards and outside backs for the best opportunity to transition to league. He was excited to be working at the Warriors and identifying the best talent to stay in NZ as opposed to popping over and snagging them to take back to Oz.
Yes I saw most of the program and also some of the replay. Very interesting and astute guy

Reactions: Warrior#214

Warrior#214

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 13, 2016
AK
Feeling pretty good about our general level of recruitment ability listening to the 360 crew talk about the issues with Wests in their recruitment woes (w/ the likes of Leilua & Roberts) and the spiral they are in - unable to attract quality. (like the overs they offered Mitchell, Addo Carr and now Pangai unsuccessfully)
Also when the Bulldogs are crowing about Pangai and looking at Paul ‘party at my place’ Vaughan to join the squad they aren’t exactly raising the bar with their club culture are they?

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Also when the Bulldogs are crowing about Pangai and looking at Paul ‘party at my place’ Vaughan to join the squad they aren’t exactly raising the bar with their club culture are they?
We're going to be captained this weekend by a guy who assaulted his partner & narrowly avoiding going to jail not that long ago. One of his key leadership lieutenants will be Matt Lodge. Throwing stones in glass houses

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
We're going to be captained this weekend by a guy who assaulted his partner & narrowly avoiding going to jail not that long ago. One of his key leadership lieutenants will be Matt Lodge. Throwing stones in glass houses
Both of those happened over 5 years ago and been trouble free since other than Addin Fonua-Blake calling a ref a retard recently which isn't really that big a deal imo.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I’m alittle conflicted on this now.

If those 2 play like absolute mongrels on the field and tear it up every week for the doggies, will they care ?

Doggies looking better every week.

But the Broncos…. Spoon next year for sure

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Why would Charnze come here? To be backup fullback - he doesn't have the ability of Walsh or any of the top tier ball playing fullback. To be a backup centre - when he played centre here he looked defensively frail, might have been poor structure that made it look like that but it's a tough position to defend.
He would be joining us to play reserve grade. Too expensive for that and not a good career move for him.

Warrior#214

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 13, 2016
AK
Wasn’t really casting stones at the guys themselves - more just underlining the point that we have done well with our recent recruitment picks. The Dogs are in ‘rebuild phase’ and they’re writing cheques for the best available talent. It just so happens the best available talent is these two guys who will undoubtedly add to the onfield performance but will bring their headaches off it. Ergo - as with the West’s situation - there isn’t exactly an oversupply of ideal players in the NRL to rebuild your club with. When your a club in a less attractive position (like Dogs, West’s and us) you have to take what you can get or be canny. I think we’ve been the latter.

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
As much as I don't want to sound like I'm on the cut Chanel Harris-Tavita bandwagon he was terrible vs the Storm bar a brilliant tackle & a couple of other solid hits. Defence is more than tackling (he was going at 81% tackle efficiency in that match) & his poor reads lead to us conceding points. The score was also 2-18 when he was injured. The bar is awfully low if that's what you consider to be amazing
One worry for me is that Chanel Harris-Tavita is injured quite a lot... Not good signs atm but some players in similar situations have gotten back to full fitness and can stay competitive for the rest of their careers, but others...
We can only prayer for his sake that he is not the next Nathaniel Roache!

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Bit rough bro, everyone has a past and he’s paid his dues. By all accounts both lodge & Addin Fonua-Blake are changed men, and are leaders. You’re welcome to your own opinion, but that’s a bit harsh. I’m of the impression everyone deserves a second chance, don’t you?

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Bit rough bro, everyone has a past and he’s paid his dues. By all accounts both lodge & Addin Fonua-Blake are changed men, and are leaders. You’re welcome to your own opinion, but that’s a bit harsh. I’m of the impression everyone deserves a second chance, don’t you?
Undoubtedly so. I've no issues with them representing the Warriors because they're good footy players first & foremost. I'm sure the majority of Bulldogs fans would feel the same about Pangai Jnr & Vaughan if they were signed there too

Burncity warrior

1st Grade Fringe
May 11, 2021
Wasn’t really casting stones at the guys themselves - more just underlining the point that we have done well with our recent recruitment picks. The Dogs are in ‘rebuild phase’ and they’re writing cheques for the best available talent. It just so happens the best available talent is these two guys who will undoubtedly add to the onfield performance but will bring their headaches off it. Ergo - as with the West’s situation - there isn’t exactly an oversupply of ideal players in the NRL to rebuild your club with. When your a club in a less attractive position (like Dogs, West’s and us) you have to take what you can get or be canny. I think we’ve been the latter.
I wonder why those clubs haven't gone after Dale Finucane. He's probably too expensive for them but if I was the tigers or dogs I'd have one Finucane over both those idiots together.

Anyway, agree our recruitment is looking rock solid right now. One of the positives is we are looking pretty strong for next season. The squad is looking quite balanced.

RiceOwl

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2015
Does anyone know - Have we completely removed ourselves from the race for Joey Manus signature?

Also read some articles about Dylan Brown likely on the move for 2023, are we likely to have another look at him as well?

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:
South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings