Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Probably not the thread, but I wonder how many players we can name that played for the Storm who turned to custard when they left.

Adam Blair
Sika Manu
Aidan Tolman
Brodie Croft
Jordan McLean
Ryan Hoffman
Ryan Hinchcliffe

Stephen Kearney cough cough cough…

How good does George Jennings look in a Storm uniform aye?

Nico Hynes I think will be a myth when he joins the sharks. Don’t know why he’s suddenly rated so highly by some, given he’s a ring in for Ryan Papenhuyzen.

Papenhuyzen, now that kid is a gun. Always breaking tackles and making runaway tries.

Hynes is serviceable, but hardly a game changer for any team. Good on him if he’s getting coin though. He wasn’t exactly setting the world on fire before joining the Storm… in fact he was dropped from Manly’s development squad if I recall correctly

xWarrior

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 27, 2012
It's hilarious. Half of us are bitching about Chanel Harris-Tavita and how he's not offering enough. Meanwhile, our whole gameplan at the moment is to throw it to an 18-year-old and pray every time we need to do something (no pressure, Reece). I wonder what's going to happen when Walsh's run of form stops. When he goes through a bad patch or costs us a couple of games with mistakes or bad decisions, are we gonna be putting him under a microscope and dissecting everything about him, from his talent to his character? Probably, tbh. Whether it's warranted or not.

"I've been his biggest defender but it's definitely time to look closer and admit his faults.

He definitely has no vision and can't read the defence at all. He's a complete robot.

He REFUSES to kick in behind the line when the defence is rushing and has no attacking kicking game. For a guy who kicks as much as him and a halfback is unacceptable.

Either he's scared to back himself or he is just bad. I don't know."

That could be any one of us talking about Chanel Harris-Tavita, but it's actually a thread on a Panthers forum about Nathan Cleary...from 2019. The narrative around young players, especially in key positions, is remarkably similar all the time.

I'm not saying Chanel Harris-Tavita will turn into Nathan Cleary — I'm pretty sure he won't. I can understand the criticism and why some fans are running out of patience. But for me, he's had a tough run with injuries, is still very young (only played 30 something games?), and has a lot of really strong fundamentals that he can build on. If we were to let him go, I think most NRL teams would be more than happy to take a chance on him. In any case, there probably aren't any better long-term halves available to us right now. I don't think it hurts us to keep him and play to his strengths rather than getting another Sean O'Sullivan or paying massive overs for someone who's past it.
Not really. Clearly was the starting halfback for NSW in 2018 and 2019, he was about 19/20 years old then. You don't get picked for NSW if you are shit.
People on this forum just overhype Chanel Harris-Tavita too much when he has not shown that he can be a NRL level half yet, I mean we have not even seen glimpse of what he can do. Atleast with Walsh he is talented and everyone has seen what he can do from the few games he has played he will surely go through a bad patch but we know what he can do produce.

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
thought the same thing. wonder if it's worthwhile for the club to base in aussie and travel to home games. maybe that's crazy. I dunno
I was originally hard against this idea but am slowly seeing some positives in it.
Have a home stadium over in oz (Central coast stadium) and split their home games between Mt Smart and Central coast.
Would increase their fanbase and likely larger turn out when they play at either stadium due to locals getting less home games at each respective stadium.
Would make recruiting mid season transfers easier.
Less travel.
I'm still against the idea though just saying i can see some merits in the idea .

Can also see it potentially pushing a very small number of great players towards rugby union who probably stick with the warriors due to wanting to live in NZ. Especially the young and up coming players who would now realise the only option of playing in the nrl is to move to oz later in life so don't even consider playing league at a younger age.
Yea stay at Mt smart 😃

Reactions: Tragic and Sup42

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Can also see it potentially pushing a very small number of great players towards rugby union who probably stick with the warriors due to wanting to live in NZ. Especially the young and up coming players who would now realise the only option of playing in the nrl is to move to oz later in life so don't even consider playing league at a younger age.
Yea stay at Mt smart 😃
I would counter this that the players that leave NZ end up mentally stronger. The comforts of home seem to hold some back from reaching their potential.

There is still the option of a junior programme running under the Warriors in NZ to develop pathways.

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Have a home stadium over in oz (Central coast stadium) and split their home games between Mt Smart and Central coast.
Would increase their fanbase and likely larger turn out when they play at either stadium
Our following on the Central Coast is heavily overstated. Apart from the recent Kiwi Day Out, Sharks vs Titans & Roosters vs Raiders have pulled bigger crowds at the venue

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210624-112821_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624-112821_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 45

jmb_31

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 27, 2021
Not the half I wanted from the Sharks but interested to see how he goes for us. Still questions though over what the club are gonna do with the halves next season. Maybe he's just keeping Shaun Johnson's jersey warm for when he returns ;) . If we do get Lodge i'd potentially be interested in seeing what Norman on a reduced contract could do behind a good forward pack cus there is a good player in there

pompower

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Not really. Clearly was the starting halfback for NSW in 2018 and 2019, he was about 19/20 years old then. You don't get picked for NSW if you are shit.
People on this forum just overhype Chanel Harris-Tavita too much when he has not shown that he can be a NRL level half yet, I mean we have not even seen glimpse of what he can do. Atleast with Walsh he is talented and everyone has seen what he can do from the few games he has played he will surely go through a bad patch but we know what he can do produce.
I agree that you don't play Origin if you're shit — didn't stop people from saying that he was though.

I'm not claiming that Chanel Harris-Tavita is as good as Walsh or anything like that, but I think it's a little harsh to say that he's not shown anything. His longest uninterrupted run of games as a starting half was rounds 13-20 last season. That was a fairly tough run of games and he was far from our biggest problem during that period. Plus, in that last game, he absolutely bossed the Sea Eagles — if you see that performance and think it's not NRL halfback standard, then I don't know what to say lol.

There's also the recruitment question of "if not him, then who?" — not a ton of quality available in the halves right now. I'm more concerned about Chanel Harris-Tavita's injury track record than I am about his class at this point.

Louim8

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2020
It's hilarious. Half of us are bitching about Chanel Harris-Tavita and how he's not offering enough. Meanwhile, our whole gameplan at the moment is to throw it to an 18-year-old and pray every time we need to do something (no pressure, Reece). I wonder what's going to happen when Walsh's run of form stops. When he goes through a bad patch or costs us a couple of games with mistakes or bad decisions, are we gonna be putting him under a microscope and dissecting everything about him, from his talent to his character? Probably, tbh. Whether it's warranted or not.

"I've been his biggest defender but it's definitely time to look closer and admit his faults.

He definitely has no vision and can't read the defence at all. He's a complete robot.

He REFUSES to kick in behind the line when the defence is rushing and has no attacking kicking game. For a guy who kicks as much as him and a halfback is unacceptable.

Either he's scared to back himself or he is just bad. I don't know."

That could be any one of us talking about Chanel Harris-Tavita, but it's actually a thread on a Panthers forum about Nathan Cleary...from 2019. The narrative around young players, especially in key positions, is remarkably similar all the time.

I'm not saying Chanel Harris-Tavita will turn into Nathan Cleary — I'm pretty sure he won't. I can understand the criticism and why some fans are running out of patience. But for me, he's had a tough run with injuries, is still very young (only played 30 something games?), and has a lot of really strong fundamentals that he can build on. If we were to let him go, I think most NRL teams would be more than happy to take a chance on him. In any case, there probably aren't any better long-term halves available to us right now. I don't think it hurts us to keep him and play to his strengths rather than getting another Sean O'Sullivan or paying massive overs for someone who's past it.
Wow you nailed it right there. On this forum if young player dont look like reece walsh straight away, young player is trash and next one up. Apparently we have plenty of them waiting in the wings

Louim8

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2020
First half or second half? :p

Except he has had 3 years and shown nothing, when will you admit your wrong, 5 years? 7 years?
Not yet anyway, give him a whole season next year and if he has not shown any improvement then yes you are right.

I am convinced there is a good player in there, he has good foundation to build on.

Now im not saying he is going to be the best half this decade, no but he can be a good half.

He has had a horror run of injuries, my fear is he will always be an injury prone player.

You seem like one of the people who were calling for Sean O'Sullivan earlier in the season. I was saying how bad Sean O'Sullivan is. It was that obvious. Its obvious that Chanel Harris-Tavita needs more time and a bit of luck but if he gets that he will be a good player imo.

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Wow you nailed it right there. On this forum if young player dont look like reece walsh straight away, young player is trash and next one up. Apparently we have plenty of them waiting in the wings
Pfft, disagree entirely. I’ve asked previously (am happy for you to share your thoughts too) about what Chanel Harris-Tavita actually brings to the team.
Defence, and the fact that he ‘competes’ have largely been the only things being tossed around.

If he’s a half, he needs to have kicking/passing/game management/ attacking skills to develop. You don’t learn these skills at NRL level, you hone them and develop what you already have. My belief is he hasn’t got any of these, and it’s unreasonable to continue to give him more time in the hopes that he develops this.

33 games and still such a terrible kicking game? 33 games and 10 try assists and 13 forced drop outs. That means he sets a try up and forces a repeat set every 3 games.

I don’t need every player to be a Walsh. I just need them to show some of the skills that they are supposed to have in their skill set.

For what it’s worth, I like Chanel, but he’s not a half. Maybe he pushes one out as a centre, or a ball playing back rower, or even a hooker. But he ain’t no half

Louim8

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2020
Pfft, disagree entirely. I’ve asked previously (am happy for you to share your thoughts too) about what Chanel Harris-Tavita actually brings to the team.
Defence, and the fact that he ‘competes’ have largely been the only things being tossed around.

If he’s a half, he needs to have kicking/passing/game management/ attacking skills to develop. You don’t learn these skills at NRL level, you hone them and develop what you already have. My belief is he hasn’t got any of these, and it’s unreasonable to continue to give him more time in the hopes that he develops this.

33 games and still such a terrible kicking game? 33 games and 10 try assists and 13 forced drop outs. That means he sets a try up and forces a repeat set every 3 games.

I don’t need every player to be a Walsh. I just need them to show some of the skills that they are supposed to have in their skill set.

For what it’s worth, I like Chanel, but he’s not a half. Maybe he pushes one out as a centre, or a ball playing back rower, or even a hooker. But he ain’t no half
Yeah to me those stats are an indication of the way he is playing in the system. He sets up really close to the ruck and gets the block plays set before hitting out back to kodi or reece or Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Thats why he dont have many try assists because he is setting the plays up to get the ball to those who are better suited to them.

Also a kickimg game can be worked on, either you have a big boot or you dont and Chanel Harris-Tavita dont have a big boot but he can work on his other kicks particularly attacking kicks. Remember Shaun Johnson was not known as a great attacking kicker, he always had power but touch came later.

Teeps4Shore

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 17, 2021

Totally agree. It’s not his natural game at this level. I think good Hooker material though.

To be fair to him, after Shaun Johnson left, he has been thrown to the wolves because he has not had time to develop via Qld/NSW cup. He has had to learn on the job in a team who struggled to find an identity after Shaun Johnson left - until now.

He hasn’t got the swagger of Walsh - to me we need a loudmouth who Is a total alpha number 7. Like Walsh. You can’t coach that - you just are it. You need to want to own the side and I think Chanel Harris-Tavita just doesn’t have enough those skills.

He is more of a tradesman and just doesn’t have X factor. The modern game means we need 3 playmakers in the side with complementary skills. look at Penrith, Melbourne, roosters (at full strength) manly and Parra. Multiple playmakers with pace.

if he had X factor, he would have nailed the field goals against manly, cows and probably potted a few more in tight games because that’s the time you step up. When the game is on the line. Sadly, we haven’t seen that yet from him. Each time that opportunity comes, he hasn’t taken it. And that’s the truth.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 13 ratings