Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015

Mention of the Lodge rumour in that article published 5 hours ago. Another article said talks were a long way from fruition so it won't be happening this week if it does happen.
If the Knights are out we must be in the running. Geez they are serious about the top eight.

Didn't do much for the missed tackles last week, just saying like.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
If I understand this rightly....the cap money we have spare and are spending on Chad....would otherwise sit there....and do nothing for the rest of the season...money the NRL provide.

Not like it could be spent on a half that can come here right away and play short term...oh wait...

Hoping for confirmation.

The sad thing is all this signing magic goes away when Covid ends.

Back to very few players wanting to move to NZ.
As such I am thrilled they used the Aussie based effect to the maximum while they could.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
I like the chad and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak signing but… While I have enjoyed the off-field moves, I have struggled to follow the actual games -

1 - With constant injuries and team changes there is no continuity to develop partnerships
2 - With constant squad changes, I’m struggling to get a deep read on players
3 - With the game speeding up, I have struggled to follow our teams strategy/ structure during games and what the players are trying to achieve
4 - Several of our players a still don’t know where they fit in our top team (Harris, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Murchie, Fusitua, Pompeii/Berry, Curran, Evans, etc)

What I’m saying is as a fan, you develop an understanding of how your team plays, how certain players play, what they will do/ try in certain situations, etc and that ‘knowing the team’ deeply helps you enjoy it as a fan. It’s like I’m watching a team I don’t know, playing a way I can’t always predict sometimes. If it’s a struggle to follow everything as a fan, what’s it like for the players?

As someone else said, this team lacks integrity. It changes to much every week. Hopefully we are re-aligning the squad and it will settle down in future years 😅

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
If I understand this rightly....the cap money we have spare and are spending on Chad....would otherwise sit there....and do nothing for the rest of the season...money the NRL provide.

Not like it could be spent on a half that can come here right away and play short term...oh wait...

Hoping for confirmation.

The sad thing is all this signing magic goes away when Covid ends.

Back to very few players wanting to move to NZ.
As such I am thrilled they used the Aussie based effect to the maximum while they could.
Do I read correctly that he is off to North Queensland next season?

Reactions: crump81 and matiunz

RiceOwl

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2015
If we were to get Lodge before the next game, I think this puts us in a big position to have a red hot crack at a few finals games.

With our current team. Chad leading them around and if we sign Lodge I would not only expect us to make the 8, but depending who we played - one of the other teams who scrape in, or a tired Roosters or injured other top 8 team, we could scrape a win in that first game.

This team with a few games of finals experience and Walsh with Origin experience is going to be far better next year
Wow wow there Tooks, love the positivity and I can buy into that line of thinking, but this team is sadly very much a one game at a time proposition.

Reactions: Toookey

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
Bick dick move. I like it. He's no silver bullet to success, but he's a clear upgrade from Sean O'Sullivan, if you think otherwise then nothing I could say would change your mindset.. But he's a steady, kicking halfback. Something we've been missing for years (Green can't kick for shit and is a supporting 6 BTW). Add in flair from Walsh and Kodi.. Looking forward to seeing how we go next week.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
I know a lot of people want Walsh in the halves but I don't think that's necessary or the right move and I think the Chad to the halves scenario might show us that. Look at where the most influential players are, its fullback. I am hoping/dreaming that the Chad move could open up our fullback ala DCE and Turbo; now Chad aint DCE but he is a step closer than we have had so gives the team the structure and solidity in the game plan to hopefully open up room for the fullback to chime in and make the big plays.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
It took a few years but Peter O'Sullivan is definitely making his mark on the squad now. The first few years it was like, who is he going to sign or waiting for players to develop. How cap must of been in pretty bad shape.

Reaching out to bring Townsend back to complete the season is a unique strategy that we wouldn't of seen from previous Warriors administrations.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Regarding a partner for Chanel Harris-Tavita next year:
I am in the anti Chanel Harris-Tavita camp after years of being on the fence about him. He will be developing still next year and should do that in reserve grade. First grade shouldn't be used for developing and growing players. If it takes 50 games to learn to be a good half let him get the rest of those games in reserve grade.
The conclusion of my view is that we need to recruit up to two halves for next year so we can replace Chanel Harris-Tavita as well as Kodi (if necessary).
I reckon if we told Chanel Harris-Tavita he was playing reggies he’d go to the Storm and after 2 years with Bellamy we’d be offering him $800k to come back (which he would probably turn down)

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 9, 2012
This may be a lame comment and if so please teach me as I am new to the NRL...however on cricket forums after years of everyone using the argument that we should be patient with young player X in the blackcaps so they can learn we fans learned something else

Specifically we fans and the blackcaps selectors seemed to figure out through repeated failures of "project players" for the blackcaps that provincial FC is the best place to learn and that no development at all occurs at the highest level of sports because the time to execute the plays in first flight level is so minimal that learners simply can't succeed and you can only learn and develop based on gaining confidence from successes as opposed to trying and failing and learning from getting your hand burned by a veteran opposition player.
I mean this would be my opinion but Cricket has a much better structured grade system. And difference between grades is going to be probably primarily skill and execution, right? 20 overs in first or third grade takes more or less the same time. League the difference in speed between grades is huge, you can’t learn to execute under pressure when the pressures not there. League is probably a bit more cut throat when it comes to halves/ball players. Mediocre props can get by for a while when developing Before hitting their straps as they aren’t as crucial

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
I reckon if we told Chanel Harris-Tavita he was playing reggies he’d go to the Storm and after 2 years with Bellamy we’d be offering him $800k to come back (which he would probably turn down)
Who out of Hughes or Munster do you think Bellamy would drop in order to fit the talent that is Chanel Harris-Tavita into the Storm halves? Or perhaps he’d play hooker ahead of Harry Grant.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
I'm so glad we have Chad Townsend, just while we wait for kodi to decide what he wants to do next year, great pick up warriors, I really don't want this kodi's decision hanging over the clubs head 😂 (seriously kodi you are a fucken loser!)

The reason this is happening is because you have no balls and grab this team, even Chad Townsend is coming here to take over this team! You should be moved on immediately!!

Rant over......

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 13 ratings