Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
Agree with the motif of the last two posts and will add that I don’t think or it is my view that we shouldn’t recruit anyone good at wing as it isn’t worth the salary cap.
Wing is the easiest position to fill on the team in terms of level of experience and skill required.
advocate promoting youth project players like Pompey (last year version of Pompey ) and berry to wing so they can learn defensive reads and patterns and then having them play centre later.
The warriors should develop youngsters at wing and as soon as they develop high salary demands let them go elsewhere and get the next young guy in. And or like I said shift them if they are good enough to a position with more responsibilities
Centre’s and other positions would warrant recruitment

warriors learned the hard way by paying fusitua and ken 500k each
We shouldn’t pay anyone more than 250k to play on the wing as reckon we should just go for solid young up and coming players and invest our money in the spine and front row

my two cents

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
It is crazy that clubs (by clubs I mean the Bulldogs and Warriors) paid such an obscene amount for finishers, as if the rest of the team is sorted and all we need is some good wingers to ice our tries. Cotric, DWZ, Ken and Fusitua. A huge amount of money tied up at the end of the chain
Desperation

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
My guess would be that he’s been told he won’t be in the first grade squad anymore.
1623388125046.png

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Agree with the motif of the last two posts and will add that I don’t think or it is my view that we shouldn’t recruit anyone good at wing as it isn’t worth the salary cap.
Wing is the easiest position to fill on the team in terms of level of experience and skill required.
advocate promoting youth project players like Pompey (last year version of Pompey ) and berry to wing so they can learn defensive reads and patterns and then having them play centre later.
The warriors should develop youngsters at wing and as soon as they develop high salary demands let them go elsewhere and get the next young guy in. And or like I said shift them if they are good enough to a position with more responsibilities
Centre’s and other positions would warrant recruitment

warriors learned the hard way by paying fusitua and ken 500k each
We shouldn’t pay anyone more than 250k to play on the wing as reckon we should just go for solid young up and coming players and invest our money in the spine and front row

my two cents
Your 2 cents, my 2 cents and POS’s 2 cents is my bet.

Gould talked of building the squad from locals and juniors. Wing is the easiest position in regards to footy IQ to fill. Just someone fast, reliable and cheap. It’s insane use of the cap to spend up on a position that makes the least amount of touches/ tackles in a game.

Put the saved money into your key game managers who touch the ball the most.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Widdop smells like Blake Green II to me.

SJ playing with Reece Walsh. I could live with that.
Widdop is way better than Blake Green.

In many ways SJ was a one trick pony e.g. amazing step, very quick off the mark and good top line speed as well. Therefore the opposition always had to watch him and therefore he made space around him.

I don't know that he was an organiser. The Warriors players might not have listened to him because he wasn't a bro, but did he do any better at the Sharks?

His kicking was ok, but not outstanding for a high salaried stand off.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:
Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings